Help needed for Ontario reservation holder!

Country
Country
I got the email last week saying my Model 3 is ready to order but I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping someone can help before I place my order.

First of all, I must say it doesn't take long for all the options I want on the Model 3 to add up. By the time I add all the options, I'm up to $74,000 CDN before the Destination and Doc fee of $1300 and HST.

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation website states: Incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 or more. Can someone please confirm that the "Price" on Tesla's website (before Dest. and Doc as well as HST) is indeed considered to be MRSP and therefore I would still be eligible for the generous $14,000 rebate provided by the Ontario government, not to mention the rebate on the wall charger and it's installation (50% of the purchase cost up to $500 and 50% of the installation cost up to $500).

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The second question is a bit trickier to answer. The email from Tesla says to expect 4-8 weeks for delivery. Is this realistic or should I count on longer? Also, can I send in for the rebate the day I take possession of the car?
The reason I'm asking is we have a provincial election coming on June 7 and the current thinking is that Progressive Conservative leader Doug Ford will win. It seems that he's not as big a fan of the incentives to buy electric vehicles as the Liberal party has been. I'm worried that I'll place my order and by the time I get the car, he may win the election (only 5 weeks away) and cancel the rebate program. I know this is speculation, but $14K is a lot of money that I'm counting on as a rebate. Let's say he does become premier, does anyone know if he can cancel it right away or is that something that can't be done overnight?
[/FONT]

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got the email last week saying my Model 3 is ready to order but I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping someone can help before I place my order.

First of all, I must say it doesn't take long for all the options I want on the Model 3 to add up. By the time I add all the options, I'm up to $74,000 CDN before the Destination and Doc fee of $1300 and HST.

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation website states: Incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 or more. Can someone please confirm that the "Price" on Tesla's website (before Dest. and Doc as well as HST) is indeed considered to be MRSP and therefore I would still be eligible for the generous $14,000 rebate provided by the Ontario government, not to mention the rebate on the wall charger and it's installation (50% of the purchase cost up to $500 and 50% of the installation cost up to $500).

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The second question is a bit trickier to answer. The email from Tesla says to expect 4-8 weeks for delivery. Is this realistic or should I count on longer? Also, can I send in for the rebate the day I take possession of the car?
The reason I'm asking is we have a provincial election coming on June 7 and the current thinking is that Progressive Conservative leader Doug Ford will win. It seems that he's not as big a fan of the incentives to buy electric vehicles as the Liberal party has been. I'm worried that I'll place my order and by the time I get the car, he may win the election (only 5 weeks away) and cancel the rebate program. I know this is speculation, but $14K is a lot of money that I'm counting on as a rebate. Let's say he does become premier, does anyone know if he can cancel it right away or is that something that can't be done overnight?
[/FONT]
Your fine with the incentive under the current regime. It’s based on the base msrp which is LR with RWD without options. It’s already approved and on the list.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

As for the incentive it’s a crap shoot. Many wanted their order in prior to the election to possibly be grandfathered. Personally I ordered not counting on it. If I get it than great!

Country
Country
Thanks for the quick reply Sandy.
I guess you’d need to have the attitude that getting the $14K rebate is a bonus and not count on it.
I phoned the Ontario Ministry of Finance this morning and they said that it could be cancelled at any time, even the day after the election.
It would annoy me to no end to have the rebate pulled away just before I could take advantage of it after ordering the car.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess you’d need to have the attitude that getting the $14K rebate is a bonus and not count on it.
I phoned the Ontario Ministry of Finance this morning and they said that it could be cancelled at any time, even the day after the election.
It would annoy me to no end to have the rebate pulled away just before I could take advantage of it after ordering the car.
I agree. What’s really interesting to me is that Tesla moved up CDN reservations. I believe they are truly trying to allow us in Ontario to potentially get the incentive. Unfortunately the timing is quite critical with the election just 5 weeks away. However as you discovered even if we had the cars and paperwork filed prior to the election nothing would be guaranteed with a PC majority. The incentives future and timing is completely out of our control.

Frosken

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The timing is slightly inaccurate. The leader must be sworn in before he/she can make any changes, like dropping the rebate. It usually takes a week..or a few...before this happens, if the newly elected leader is not the same as the previous premier.

Although this article dates from the previous election (2014), it provides crucial information as per what happens following the election, as well as scenarios about different outcomes...just need to change the name of the PC leader:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-the-day-after-the-ontario-election-1.2668963

We can speculate all we want, but the decision on the rebate will be known on the evening of June 7th, and if there are changes, they will be in effect shortly after.

All I ask for from Ontario residents is to vote...don't care who you vote for, but vote! :)