Help me find the water tank...

Country
Country
I washed my Model 3 last evening in my driveway. My driveway slopes quite a bit (approx 15%), and I was parked nose high.

This morning, I noticed a large wet spot originating from under the car. Enough water had been dripping all night that is was running downhill. I checked the trunk, thinking I had the dreaded leak, but it was dry.

I got to the end of the block, and realized I forgot my office keys (the modern curse of not needing a key ring anymore). I circled back and noticed that the road was soaked where I had driven. Lots of water, similar to when I pull my F150 out of the driveway after a day of heavy rain and the bed is full of water.

I read somewhere that someone's bumper had filled with water, but I don't know how to check it.

Does anyone have any ideas where my car would be holding so much water?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it was dripping all night, my guess would be condensation from the air conditioner. But I doubt cabin overheat protection was running all night way up north. ;)

Considering that you were parked uphill, my guess would be the rear bumper. The uphill stance may have allowed some water to remain all night? And there are two reports of the rear bumper falling off, allegedly due to rain.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/13/tesla-investigates-model-3-bumper-broke-off/

Country
Country
Thanks. I'll monitor it and report back. We have very dry summers and very very wet winters, so I'm concerned that it will become a problem in a few months.

Sealander

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed last time I washed my car there was a large amount of water on the garage floor where it was parked afterward. Curious because it was under the rear of the car between the back wheels. I was wondering if there were drains somewhere in the trunk to channel the water from the roof. The car was completely dry after the wash before I parked it in the garage and I noticed the water hours later.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have been hearing of these reports about water in the bumper, but it just seems that would be a huge oversight on Tesla's part. If water finds its way in driving down the road, sounds like there would be a big issue with aerodynamics as well, which of course they work so hard on for an EV.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have been hearing of these reports about water in the bumper, but it just seems that would be a huge oversight on Tesla's part.
Bumpers don't just go falling off of vehicles, so there's been *some* kind of huge oversight.

I just hope Tesla figures out the problem quickly and fixes all cars.

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Strangely enough, on older cars (<VIN 30000) there was an extra center bolt to help hold the rear bumper cover + lower valence on, but later on they remove the center bolt and the nut plate that it fastens to.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Open the trunk and look at the black plastic pieces on the sides. Water running down the trough surrounding the trunk opening will run under the side plastic pieces and into the cover over the back underside of the car. Some people have (carefully and strategically, drilled holes to let the water out. As you saw, it will eventually either slosh out or evaporate.