Help Me Decide first new upgrades for my Performance 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

clerkp

Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only areas on my white 2018 P3D that have had paint issues are behind the wheel wells, solved with $35 mudflaps; and the front bumper cover, solved with X-pel PPF on the front bumper cover ONLY for $495.
Do you recommend the Tesla mudflaps or a particular third party solution?

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I honestly can't recall the supplier. But I'll say this, a mud flap is a mud flap. It's how they are attached that's important. The ones I used are attached by both a pushpin and a screw that are currently in your wheel wells. These have remained in place for over 70k miles now.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I personally recommend getting plain, flat flaps - don't get the kind that curve around the body in order to look more "integrated".

I had mudflaps like that on a previous vehicle - dirt and grime gets behind there and scratches the paint down to nothing given enough time. It's impossible to clean well enough or often enough to prevent it.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I personally recommend getting plain, flat flaps - don't get the kind that curve around the body in order to look more "integrated".

I had mudflaps like that on a previous vehicle - dirt and grime gets behind there and scratches the paint down to nothing given enough time. It's impossible to clean well enough or often enough to prevent it.
I agree with @garsh on this. I found the ones I have; they're sold on Amazon by Tsolutions for $50 and require less than an hour to install.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's worth mentioning that a ceramic coating IS NOT protection from rock chips. It's simply a hydrophobic silica (glass layer) coating that bonds to the existing clear coat that helps repel water and dirt. All it really does it helps make the car easier to wash. Waxes are a thing of the past, we have better technology now.

Paint Protection Film (PPF) is a physical plastic 5-8mil film that gets applied to the car. It offers physical rock chip and abrasion protection and has some self-hearing qualities (light scratches basically vanish when exposed to heat from the sun). Many have some hydrophobicity but usually a ceramic coating is applied on top.

You don't apply PPF on top of a ceramic coating as the adhesive won't bond properly. It has to be done PPF first, then ceramic. If you have ceramic already and want PPD, they detailer will have to first strip the ceramic coating first which is a lengthy labor-intensive job.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I've had the cheap wrap around ones on my car and they ended up marring my PPF so I took them off. Flat types would be more appropriate if you have PPF. @garsh is right, dirt gets behind the curved edges and makes a mess...

Dfwatt

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all, new to the forum. Took delivery of a Midnight Silver Metallic P3D a couple of days ago. Looking for recommendations for first upgrades. Under consideration:

1. Front splitter - perhaps Ikon. How does this look on a car that is not lowered? Is it acceptable?
2. Wood panel replacement - either Alacantra or CF from RPM.
3. White seat covers - While the white interior is cool, I have 2 young kids and was concerned about long term wear. My current car coming off lease is a disaster inside. That said, the seat covers for half the price of the upgrade would give me the best of both worlds I suppose. I've seen some on Amazon (300) or other more expensive versions (500). Anyone have any experience with these?
4. Lowering springs. I live in Pittsburgh. I have lowered cars before for looks but I do think it compromises ride quality. My preference is to avoid the itch to lower this car as I like the way it feels and handles as is. The wheel gap isn't great but it's tolerable. Would spacers help? If so, what do folks recommend?

Anything I'm missing? My budget is probably $1k to $2k max as I already spent a lot on the car. Looking to just make the car slightly more aggressive but still classy. For the interior, just looking for some subtle upgrades to make it look a little less drab.

Thanks.

We have that Ikon front Splitter on my wife's performance model 3. It looked good with the car at stock ride height, but it looks better with the car lowered. I know this will be a budget Buster but save your money for the MPP Adjustable Coilover Comfort version. Better ride, better handling, better looks, just better all the way around. The car is just so much more enjoyable to drive either as a cruise mobile where comfort is your priority or as something that is more handling-focused. You can track the car even with the Comfort coilovers where they're way better than stock because of the adjustable shocks. Dial them up and the car becomes a reasonable track machine. Or set them at the default 12 / 10 compression / rebound and enjoy a very smooth and liquid ride. You also want to save your money for another budget-buster namely, lightweight forged wheels. They really make a difference in ride.

clerkp

Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We have that Ikon front Splitter on my wife's performance model 3. It looked good with the car at stock ride height, but it looks better with the car lowered. I know this will be a budget Buster but save your money for the MPP Adjustable Coilover Comfort version. Better ride, better handling, better looks, just better all the way around. The car is just so much more enjoyable to drive either as a cruise mobile where comfort is your priority or as something that is more handling-focused. You can track the car even with the Comfort coilovers where they're way better than stock because of the adjustable shocks. Dial them up and the car becomes a reasonable track machine. Or set them at the default 12 / 10 compression / rebound and enjoy a very smooth and liquid ride. You also want to save your money for another budget-buster namely, lightweight forged wheels. They really make a difference in ride.
Thanks coils would be great but that’s not getting past my wife after 56k on a new car. I’m sure it’s awesome. I’m really looking for a few simple asthetic upgrades to set my car apart. Nothing too major.

Dfwatt

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks coils would be great but that’s not getting past my wife after 56k on a new car. I’m sure it’s awesome. I’m really looking for a few simple asthetic upgrades to set my car apart. Nothing too major.

My wife used to be a roadblock on that stuff too. But then after she experienced the car with all the (as she calls it) "pimping out," her objections disappeared. Now she insists that anything that is done to my car has to be done to her car too! Mountain Pass of course thinks she's the greatest!

More seriously, I think in regard to cost effectiveness, the icon front splitter is worth the money. I would recommend against getting Springs only. Save your money until you can do it right. Google threads on the discussion of coilovers versus coils only and you will get the full story. Half the people who did coils regret it. Literally nobody who has bought the MPP coilover kits either Sport or Comfort regrets it. They have a 100% endorsement rate which is basically unprecedented. Save your money for when you can do it right. Find somebody in your area that has the Comfort coilovers and have your wife experience the ride in that car. That might convince her!

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Skip springs. Will make the ride worse. Save up for coilovers or just keep stock.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This isn't aesthetic, just sensible. Get a good screen protector(about $40) to protect your $2,500 display.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The display has a protector on it from the factory.
News to me. Is this different, it didn't used to. In 2018 and 2019, it had a factory plastic film scratch cover(much like an I-phone) that was intended to be removed by the owner. But not a true screen protector

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.