Help!! Dashboard Cleaning

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
6d77fd8a-fd57-4fb5-8956-09b37a8fc053-jpeg.9570
164921a9-9ac9-4bd1-a77b-9c51669e7d02-jpeg.9571
So I gentley cleaned my dash with a clean microfiber cloth and Turtle Dash & Glass cleaner and it totally messed/scuffed up my dash!!

Photos show affected drivers side and the other side where I didn’t do anything. Afraid to do anything lest I make it worse.

Any ideas on how I can fix this??

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What in the world did they use to make the dashboard?

This isn't the first time we've seen one get "scratched up" by someone attempting to clean it.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@rareohs,

I’ve seen this issue and I believe there are other threads on this exact problem as well. Let me know what you come up with or what Tesla says?

Ski

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
From this MSDS sheet for the cleaner:

https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1958237pdf?$PDF$

I see that it contains water, isopropyl alcohol, quaternary ammonium compound, cocoamidopropyl betain, and C9-C11 alcohol ethoxylate. So might be worth checking into the chemical compatibilities of these individual compounds.

This is an issue that you should address to both Tesla *and* the maker of the cleaning product - particularly the latter. In the meantime you can at the very least try going over it with just a slightly damp cloth, ideally dampened with distilled water.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Guess that’s possible, but problem is I’m now too scared to go over it with anything again!!
I guess just look at it really closely first and see if it still looks like actual scratches from up close.
After that, I'd take it to the service center and have them take a look at it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just cleaned mine and scratchef it using Microfiber and just Mcgwires inside cleaner....any help would be appreciated.
Good grief!

I think I'm just going to "lightly blow" the dust off my dashboard. I can't believe it scratches just from wiping. This is insane!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I took mine to the service center this week with same issue. Used a damp microfiber cloth and scratched it. Tech said it’s a known issue with earlier VINs. Mine was a June build and he was surprised to still see it happening. They ordered me a new dash. Waiting on it to come in.

I have also had this issue. Let us all know how the replacement dashboard goes. I'm tempted to contact Tesla myself but decided I should find out if it's a problem Tesla is addressing first. Sounds like they are.
Thanks again!

markrodg

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I picked up my car they had placed a congratulatory paper on the dash. (Picture #1)

upload_2018-8-12_15-16-12-png.13045

Over the next 4 weeks I began to see a white spot in the exact location.
upload_2018-8-12_15-12-34-png.13044

I didn't touch the dash for fear of scratching it and I finally took it to the SC who said it's called "ghosting". They attempted to clean it up and got most of it with a microfiber towel but didn't tell me the cleaner. They cleaned it 3 weeks ago but I'm still mortified of touching the dash for fear I might scratch the thing. I guess at some point I'm going to have to try.

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been cleaning with ONR and a microfiber towel. No scratches that I have noticed. I have one little spot, like a drop that seems to persist and never completely go away as well. I also noticed the door plastics seem to very easily pick up white deposits from where your skin touches it. I assumed some type of salt deposit. It does wash away though with ONR. But it looks very similar to what is on the dash and in the pictures.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ranger came out & removed my “Ghost 3” from the dash back in March or April with some kind of cleaner. . But it’s back as of last week...

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The dash is super soft. Those are actually scratches; I did the same thing to my dash shortly after I got it. It will happen if you scrub with any pressure, especially with a dry cloth.

One problem is that you think it's a streak and you start scrubbing harder to get it out. It quickly gets worse.

I don't have a perfect solution, but putting plasticizer back into it works pretty well. Get some Armor-All Matte Finish
(either the wipes or the spray bottle).

Use a microfiber towel and work it in gently and generously. The appearance of the plastic will become just slightly more shiny, but it's not too bad, and it actually matches the shinier black border strip between it and the windshield a little closer, so it looks fine. Glare is not an issue.

I read one person on Reddit who got their dash replaced when this happened. But even though mine looked worse than the top picture in this thread, after the Armor-All treatment mine is fine and hardly noticeable.