Help! Bumpy ride

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put on 20” wheels and lowered my M3 by 2”
I feel every bump on the road. And passengers in the rear go flying! My rear passengers get nauseous. Also my energy is almost always above 311 wh/mi.

Any ride to make the ride smoother? My tires are at 41PSI

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is this the first car you've done this to? If so, that would explain your predicament.

Get rid of the 20"s (no thank you rubber-band thin tire sidewall, no thank you additional un-sprung weight and wheel rotation error),
put the stock suspension back on or swap in some P3D components and call it a day. 41psi is overkill too.

Too many of these cars getting ruined under 1-5K miles on the clock.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put on 20” wheels and lowered my M3 by 2”
I feel every bump on the road...
Any ride to make the ride smoother?
Heh. It sounds like you did everything possible to ensure a harsh ride. ;)
But it shouldn't be too hard to perform some tests to figure out which change is the main cause.

I have the 20s on my car, and I find it to have an unexpectedly great ride. But it's a Performance with stock suspension, so only 0.5" lower than standard OEM. So I suspect that the culprit is your 2" drop. But if you still have your original wheels, then I suggest swapping them on and seeing if it makes a difference in ride. I'm guessing that it will not, but should be easy to check.

I think you're going to have to change your lowering springs. Which ones did you install?

Also my energy is almost always above 311 wh/mi.
My Performance with 20" wheels also tends to be around there. I think that's just normal with the summer tires.
My tires are at 41PSI
That's correct. I currently have my tires at 45psi, which I think is the max listed on the sidewall. It's still pretty comfortable at that setting.