Hello from Toronto!

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Ok, I’m not exactly new here but I have been AWOL for quite a while.

Glad to see everyone here is doing well and really enjoying their Tesla!

I’ll be going on a road trip with a P3D in a few weeks from Toronto to Florida and could use any good tips for the trip.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, Steve, long time no see...

Talk to @Mad Hungarian he just did it at the beginning of the month when he came down to visit us while on vacation. He did it from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in 33 hours including charging and a 4 hour sleep

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Thanks Trev,

I’ll get ahold of Ian and see what advice he has for me.

I suppose one of the big questions is whether I would/should need an additional adapter for charging should I screw up planning my supercharging events.

I’ve been keeping up to date with your YouTube channel and podcasts! I found the forum was a bit of a rabbit hole and I found I could easily burn several hours reading threads so I quit cold turkey for a bit but I’m back baby!

Thanks again

Steve

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suppose one of the big questions is whether I would/should need an additional adapter for charging should I screw up planning my supercharging events.
If you take your J1772 adapter and your mobile connector, that should have you covered for most contingencies.

Use the car's navigation - it's pretty fool-proof. Ian and I drove back up from Florida to Pittsburgh (where he dropped me off). We found that the car's navigation was pretty good at choosing supercharging stops. If you end up cutting things too close, the navigation will display a messages like "keep speed below 65 mph to reach your destination". Lower speeds reduce energy consumption.

HTH!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, just enjoy the trip.
Before you leave, look at your route and familiarize yourself with where the Superchargers are. I don't think that there are any significant gaps in the route.
Then look to find Superchargers where biology requirements meet. Look to find chargers with great food around them.
If overnighting, try to find somewhere that you can plug in. Plugshare.com is your friend. You will want a J1772 plug, but even 120v is better than nothing.
As you head South and warm, you will probably get better range.
You didn't say where in Florida, but even then, the north could be cool, and don't forget that you are headed into spring break, so hotels may be booked

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Steve!

Um, what everyone else said :)
There are waaayyy more Superchargers than you need on that route, and as @garsh points out even on the odd leg where it could get tight the car's Nav really makes it idiot proof. I did my damnedest to drain the thing dry between stops and still made it every time. Had I driven like a sane person it would have bordered on boring.
I'm trying to do a whole write up on the trip in the next few days, will post here when it goes live.

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
First, just enjoy the trip.
Before you leave, look at your route and familiarize yourself with where the Superchargers are. I don't think that there are any significant gaps in the route.
Then look to find Superchargers where biology requirements meet. Look to find chargers with great food around them.
If overnighting, try to find somewhere that you can plug in. Plugshare.com is your friend. You will want a J1772 plug, but even 120v is better than nothing.
As you head South and warm, you will probably get better range.
You didn't say where in Florida, but even then, the north could be cool, and don't forget that you are headed into spring break, so hotels may be booked
I appreciate the help everyone.

I don’t have a J1772 unfortunately. I’ll try and make do with the super chargers.

Never considered the March break for booking a hotel. I’ll have to figure out the best place to stop overnight and get that booked.

Thanks again for all the advise everyone!

I’ll let you all know how it goes!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've successfully completed over 5000 miles in roadtrips and have never used my J1772, never. The supercharger system will completely cover your needs. However, I'm surprised you don't have a J1772. Wasn't it provided at delivery?

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I've successfully completed over 5000 miles in roadtrips and have never used my J1772, never. The supercharger system will completely cover your needs. However, I'm surprised you don't have a J1772. Wasn't it provided at delivery?
You are likely right that it will have it.

The P3D isn’t actually mine. I’m renting it through Turo. I haven’t pulled the trigger on one myself at this point for a couple reasons (that’s for another thread).

I appreciate all the comments and ideas!

I’ll update on how the trip is progressing.

Steve

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Hi Steve!

Um, what everyone else said :)
There are waaayyy more Superchargers than you need on that route, and as @garsh points out even on the odd leg where it could get tight the car's Nav really makes it idiot proof. I did my damnedest to drain the thing dry between stops and still made it every time. Had I driven like a sane person it would have bordered on boring.
I'm trying to do a whole write up on the trip in the next few days, will post here when it goes live.
Hey Ian, I've been planning the trip through the Tesla Supercharger trip planner. On the way back, it seems there is no way around stopping at the Airport supercharger in Georgia (400 Airways Ave). It doesn't seem ideal to be honest. Did you stop here as well and was it as inconvenient as it seems it may be? Is there anyway of avoiding this one I haven't seen??

Thanks again

Steve

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Ian, I've been planning the trip through the Tesla Supercharger trip planner. On the way back, it seems there is no way around stopping at the Airport supercharger in Georgia (400 Airways Ave). It doesn't seem ideal to be honest. Did you stop here as well and was it as inconvenient as it seems it may be?
We did stop there on the way back. I didn't find it inconvenient. It costs $1 to park there, and if you arrive while there is an attendant (we did not), you can get that fee waived.

That said, you can probably stop at alternate supercharging locations if you wish to avoid it.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Ian, I've been planning the trip through the Tesla Supercharger trip planner. On the way back, it seems there is no way around stopping at the Airport supercharger in Georgia (400 Airways Ave). It doesn't seem ideal to be honest. Did you stop here as well and was it as inconvenient as it seems it may be? Is there anyway of avoiding this one I haven't seen??

Thanks again

Steve
Yes, stopped there going down and coming back. It seems like a PITA at first but it's really only about a 15 min total detour to get to and back from I-95. It's also a bit of a hike from the SC to the terminal building, and if you want to save the $1.00 parking fee you'll want to go get your ticket stamped at the Info desk just inside the entrance. Possible offsetting bonus: Info Desk was giving out some tasty cookies when I was there (make sure you have Sentry update if you plan to leave in car :)).
P.S.: If you do go get your ticket stamped, make sure to exit through a gate with a human attendant. The robots don't read handwritten signatures... yet.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We did stop there on the way back. I didn't find it inconvenient. It costs $1 to park there, and if you arrive while there is an attendant (we did not), you can get that fee waived.

That said, you can probably stop at alternate supercharging locations if you wish to avoid it.
And then he saw that his co-pilot beat him to it... more coffee required!

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Savannah airport is certainly inconvenient. With a near full charge at Kingsland(GA) you can make the 208 miles to Santee(SC).
I don't think that'll work for Steve, as he's coming from the Toronto area he'll almost certainly be coming down I-26 from Columbia, hitting I-95 south of Santee.