Hello from Sunny Venice (that is Florida, not Italy)

simbafish

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just ordered a Model 3 Plus yesterday, midnight silver metallic, white/black interior with basic autopilot. Received word late last night delivery tentatively scheduled in Tampa end next week. That's almost going too fast for me. They state delivery at 6:30 PM. I'm about to say "no-way". I live 90 miles away and would not be comfortable driving this car in the dark with just an "iPad". How much time does it take to get use to?? I have watched several videos on YouTube about tricks and hidden procedures. Sort of scares me even though neighbors consider me somewhat of a "geek" - i.e. SmartHome, etc. .

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just ordered a Model 3 Plus yesterday, midnight silver metallic, white/black interior with basic autopilot. Received word late last night delivery tentatively scheduled in Tampa end next week. That's almost going too fast for me. They state delivery at 6:30 PM. I'm about to say "no-way". I live 90 miles away and would not be comfortable driving this car in the dark with just an "iPad". How much time does it take to get use to?? I have watched several videos on YouTube about tricks and hidden procedures. Sort of scares me even though neighbors consider me somewhat of a "geek" - i.e. SmartHome, etc. .
Relax you’ll learn all you need if you spend a half hour in the parking lot. When you get home plug her in and read the owners manual. Not sure where to find it but Google it. If you’re a geek like me the learning curve is really short. You’ll find more stuff as you drive the car. If you’re worried about driving the car home in the dark, don’t. Once you get going it’s the same as driving an Ice car. Just make sure you ask for enough charge before driving home. You’ll love your car.

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@simbafish - Congrats on pulling the trigger and placing your order. The learning curve to driving (manually) with headlights is very quick:eek::p . I'm sure you can do it! I'm also in Tampa and get my M3 on Friday at 10am... so excited!

simbafish

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the assurance. You really did calm me down a bit. My worry is that driving in the dark and/or rain and then cannot find the wiper, light or other switches on the touchscreen. I did download the Owner's Manual a week ago but too much to absorb without "hands-on". I think the Midnight Silver Metallic Model 3 will look great in the garage next to my Autumn Red 1951 MG TD MK II Supercharged!

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would call and ask for a different time slot, I’m sure they’ll work with you. Totally understandable to want to have your first drive home be during daylight. Also, make sure to insist on a good strength of charge as your coming from 1.5 hours away.

The screen really does become second nature quite quickly. The MPH is in the top left of the screen and it’s a minor adjustment from looking down to a binnacle to looking down and a little right. I would say that you’ll adjust quickly and won’t even notice when the transition of it just becoming natural happened.

A few functions of the wipers are on the left stalk. A press in of the end button will give you a quick wipe. Holding in will give you a wiper fluid blast and several wipes. Both will also bring up the wiper options on screen at bottom left, where you can select the wiper icon and change between increasing incremental speeds of wipes or go on auto mode and let the car do it (this is what I do, with my adding an occasional stalk end button press when the car isn’t cleaning the windshield when I want!)

Please feel free to ask more questions here and a huge CONGRATS!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, it's staying daylight a lot later, so it may not be a problem.

Question. When you drive your existing car, can you drive it without looking at any of the gauges? Except for maybe the speed limit, you really shouldn't need the gauges.

So, before you leave.
  • Make sure the headlights are set to auto, should be the default.
  • Find your radio station and then understand which roller wheel changes the volume.
  • Make sure that you have at least 80% charge
  • Become familiar with the upper left quadrant of the screen. That's where Park/Drive is and also where the speedometer is.
  • Become familiar with shifting into drive by right lever down clicking and then into park by hitting right end of stalk button.
  • Understand where button to open door is.
  • Adjust the seat position and steering wheel position
  • Know where to put key
Basically, its the same thing I go through every time I rent a car, just one or two small differences.

And most importantly, do not feel hesitant to pull off the road to make any changes.

As I head toward the car, my steps are as follows:
  • Open door (oh yeah figure this open out as well)
  • Sit down
  • Foot on brake
  • Down click right stalk
  • Foot off brake
  • Foot on accelerator
  • Move
When stopping
  • Foot on brake
  • Put in park by pushing the right stalk button in
  • Foot off brake
  • Door open button
  • Exist car
  • Close door
That was so much easier than any other car, no key, no starting, no gear shifting, no turning off

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats and welcome to our little piece of heaven! Don't worry about the "iPad", you'll get used to it really quickly and wonder why other cars aren't like this. Tesla did an amazing job with the design and forward-thinking. They're known for breaking the mold and thinking outside the box and you'll come to agree ;)

Enjoy your trip home and let us know how it went!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Relax you’ll learn all you need if you spend a half hour in the parking lot. When you get home plug her in and read the owners manual. Not sure where to find it but Google it. If you’re a geek like me the learning curve is really short. You’ll find more stuff as you drive the car. If you’re worried about driving the car home in the dark, don’t. Once you get going it’s the same as driving an Ice car. Just make sure you ask for enough charge before driving home. You’ll love your car.
and @simbafish - we have a link to the current on-line manual at the top of this thread. whenever Tesla updates it, it uses this same link, so you can always get the current from there :)
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-owners-manual.5327/
the current is the dec 20, 2018 version, so expect a new version should be posted soon.

simbafish

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, it's staying daylight a lot later, so it may not be a problem.

Question. When you drive your existing car, can you drive it without looking at any of the gauges? Except for maybe the speed limit, you really shouldn't need the gauges.

So, before you leave.
  • Make sure the headlights are set to auto, should be the default.
  • Find your radio station and then understand which roller wheel changes the volume.
  • Make sure that you have at least 80% charge
  • Become familiar with the upper left quadrant of the screen. That's where Park/Drive is and also where the speedometer is.
  • Become familiar with shifting into drive by right lever down clicking and then into park by hitting right end of stalk button.
  • Understand where button to open door is.
  • Adjust the seat position and steering wheel position
  • Know where to put key
Basically, its the same thing I go through every time I rent a car, just one or two small differences.

And most importantly, do not feel hesitant to pull off the road to make any changes.

As I head toward the car, my steps are as follows:
  • Open door (oh yeah figure this open out as well)
  • Sit down
  • Foot on brake
  • Down click right stalk
  • Foot off brake
  • Foot on accelerator
  • Move
When stopping
  • Foot on brake
  • Put in park by pushing the right stalk button in
  • Foot off brake
  • Door open button
  • Exist car
  • Close door
That was so much easier than any other car, no key, no starting, no gear shifting, no turning off
Thank you so much for your two "cheat" cards, one for starting and one for stopping. Neat. Now I don't feel so apprehensive driving my first day. That as it is, I did partition for Home Delivery (I hate that 83 mile drive to Tampa) and the salesman told me he looking into it. Thanks again for making it all sounds so simple. I'm sure I'll have no problem, my other car is a1951 MG (supercharged) and is manual without any power assists.

simbafish

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
UPDATE. I visited the Tesla showroom in Sarasota on March 25th. I was able to get updates. Got the VIN number of my SR+, the fact it was built March 22nd and it had 2.5 miles on it (hmmm, a used car). Apparently the truck transporting the car from Fremont has GPS because I saw that it was about to leave California - if Nevada, hope the car doesn't get gambled away! No delivery date other than the second posted Friday April 5th. But I was relieved that, although I live only 83 miles and not the threshold 160 miles from delivery point, I was assured that I would be given Home Delivery. Hopefully this might even mean an earlier delivery because Tesla doesn't have to schedule an appointment at the crowded delivery point in Tampa. Fingers crossed.

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
UPDATE. I visited the Tesla showroom in Sarasota on March 25th. I was able to get updates. Got the VIN number of my SR+, the fact it was built March 22nd and it had 2.5 miles on it (hmmm, a used car). Apparently the truck transporting the car from Fremont has GPS because I saw that it was about to leave California - if Nevada, hope the car doesn't get gambled away! No delivery date other than the second posted Friday April 5th. But I was relieved that, although I live only 83 miles and not the threshold 160 miles from delivery point, I was assured that I would be given Home Delivery. Hopefully this might even mean an earlier delivery because Tesla doesn't have to schedule an appointment at the crowded delivery point in Tampa. Fingers crossed.
Congrats on getting that info! I had a date of 3/29 which they missed and I'm still waiting on an update (Tampa).