Hello from Seattle - questions about model S

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So I’ve decided I want an S versus a 3, and I’m somewhat sold on getting an older model for features (sun roof, included charging, etc) what else should I be looking at???

Obviously range is a factor, but not huge, as I commute about 20 miles and I’m interested in an older vehicle that I -think- would come with super charging included for road trips.

You should know I currently drive a Prius and I have a lead foot 🤷‍♀️

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings and welcome

Lots of savings to be had for an older model - keeping in mind it will have limited 'baked in' autopilot features the older you get (being limited to hw1, hw2, etc).
While battery longevity isn't a huge concern, it would be worth asking any seller what the usable life remaining in the battery (displayed range at 100% charge, or battery capacity chart from the likes of teslaFi) to get some insight into wear/tear. Without that knowledge you'd just have to hope it's on the better half of the mean curve.

A personal gripe with the S for me, older models particularly is the aged computer interface. Limited framerate bugs me and the herky-jerky map zoom is frustrating given how buttery smooth it is on a newer model.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd want to have AP2.5 with the updated MCU at the minimum (for reasons @Frully already mentioned), Smart Air Suspension and interior trim that is anything but Piano Black (but preferably carbon fiber), and is early enough that it still included real leather. otherwise, just the typical wear/tear on appearance items (how curbed are the wheels, is the interior in good shape, any scratches in the paint, etc).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I’ve decided I want an S versus a 3, and I’m somewhat sold on getting an older model for features (sun roof, included charging, etc) what else should I be looking at???
  • No autopilot (oldest Model S has no cameras)
  • Really old cars (2012?) have uncomfortable seats.
  • Basic autopilot (older Model S only have front cameras)
  • Only older cars include lifetime supercharging - newer ones do not. Confirm before buying.
  • Older rear-wheel-drive models have a HUGE front trunk! Newer ones have a much smaller front trunk, even when RWD.
  • ...because newer ones offer Bioweapons Defense Mode, and have a huge air filter taking up a lot of the front trunk area. Nice if you ever have to drive through smoke from a forest fire.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As Tesla changes their features on cars about every other week, it would be important to know what features are actually in any “package” a specific car has.

I believe that new inventory model S and X are currently coming with free supercharging too.

I echo what others have said about being aware of what vintage autopilot it has (or not). Along with this, if the FSD option is available on it, this would give you a free upgrade to the latest autopilot computer. I would not get a Tesla that didn’t have at least the adaptive cruise control and auto-steer (current AP features).

The screen is driven by a separate computer. My Model X from September 2017 has an older version and it is painfully slow. I think the upgrade started early 2018 in S and X’s. Elon has said that older ones will be upgradable eventually. It would be worth at least $2k to me (just my personal price point). I’m hoping I can get that done at same time as the FSD computer.

You said you want a sunroof. For me, only the all glass roof would be important. Such a great feature on Tesla’s! There are early model S’s that have a solid roof.

I respectfully disagree with @MelindaV about the seats.... I like the vegan leather far better than natural leather. They are holding up better for me.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I respectfully disagree with @MelindaV about the seats.... I like the vegan leather far better than natural leather. They are holding up better for me.
but what will they look like after 8 or 10 years? I know how real leather holds up after that amount of time. Poly based materials can either be great or horrible after that time. lets hope Tesla's fabric is of the former.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
but what will they look like after 8 or 10 years? I know how real leather holds up after that amount of time. Poly based materials can either be great or horrible after that time. lets hope Tesla's fabric is of the former.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what the vegan looks like at 10 years. But at 10 years my leather seats have always had issues. Even now, I have 1 year old Volvo leather seats that are staining more and not holding up as well as the Tesla vegan.

Ksb466

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Personally, I think free supercharging is overrated unless you plan to use is as the primary source of refueling. Last time I supercharged 185 miles it was <$4. And I’ve supercharged 3 trips in a year, so sc may be a nonissue. Charging at home is cheap and so simple too. I think having a model with the latest hardware is important to long-term usefulness of the car.

FlyBoyDon

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I am also looking to buy a used Model S with the 85 or 90 kWh battery pack.... The D.....Dual motors....is rated at slightly more range.
I will usually recharge at home, but I want the Freedom on Demand to go places & recharge for Free. I also want at least a 2016 if I bought this year.
But realistically, I don't see my financial situation changing, except for a miracle, so 2021 time frame for a purchase is the more likely scenario for me.
I am retired and while I enjoy a relatively good income, it is fixed, and finite at almost 40% under $100K/yr. Then I have some of the usual expenses.
I don't care about the P... Performance... feature, I just want the max range, and the non-P Model S acceleration is still way better than most cars.
I drive a Ford Focus EV now, its a 2013 with the 2018 battery replaced for Free by Ford after the 2013 battery failed, but was still under warranty.
Even with the newer battery at 33kWh instead of 23 kWh, the car is worth less than $10K now, but I only paid $12K for it in late 2016.
The reason for my expectation of a purchase being 2021ish is because I am currently "maneuvering" to buy land and build a new ultra efficient home.
That is a higher priority. So, my desire to own a Tesla must wait a little longer. I hope the higher end "Premium" models continue to have Free charging!!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope the higher end "Premium" models continue to have Free charging!!
Tesla stopped including free supercharging with used cars.
You'll have to purchase one through some other means (private party, for example) to get a car that includes lifetime free supercharging.

New cars no longer include free supercharging either.
Sorry.