Hello from Michigan!

Corey

Country
Country
Can someone explain in layman's terms what the extra steps are (I want to make sure I'm ready). To this point my CU hasn't asked for anything extra in this regard, but I wonder if I should be proactive and ask them if anything additional is required.

Actually, what is the general process of buying a car out of state and what can I expect at the SOS? I know (assume) I'll get a temp paper OH plate, but then what do I have to do?
My experience and understanding of the process:

-Request from Tesla to Credit Union to provide a statement that it is ok to issue an Ohio title to an out of state resident
-Ohio title application notes that you have paid sales tax in Ohio. (Thus you will not pay it again in MI)
-Apply for Michigan title with Ohio documents given to you by Tesla.
-Register your vehicle in Michigan (Pay registration fees at that time)

Anybody correct me on this if necessary.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone explain in layman's terms what the extra steps are (I want to make sure I'm ready). To this point my CU hasn't asked for anything extra in this regard, but I wonder if I should be proactive and ask them if anything additional is required.

Actually, what is the general process of buying a car out of state and what can I expect at the SOS? I know (assume) I'll get a temp paper OH plate, but then what do I have to do?
I ll try to explain my delivery process the best I can recollect.

When we go for loan with bank or credit Union partially or fully.

1. We need have the Cashiers Check from the bank in hand before the delivery day usually upto 1 week. Usually they overnight the check but in order for the bank to send they need the final Purchase agreement or the MVPA which you get from Tesla within 1 week of delivery date.

2. After that everything is the same as anywhere in USA. Get you car sign paperwork drive home. You will also get a paper Plate installed before you leave

3. Next step is to get Title, which they send to you by FEDEX takes about couple weeks depending on how busy your SC is, during that time when there is a lien holder, The IDA will request for this request to issue title from bank. They need this in the bank's letter head. Once they fax or mail this Tesla will get a title pay the sales tax have the lien holder and send it to you by mail.

4. Next is the Title and registration this can be painful if you like to save few hundred dollars. You surrender the OHIO title and get a letter for the application of Michigan title, Most SOS will see that you paid taxes and you shouldnt have to pay anything maybe like $15 not sure.

5. The Registration and plate can be tricky since I have the Performance Model 3 and the MSRP is $64K my registration fee jumps in $500 but I ran into an issue where the SOS rep instead of using Base price charged me for the total cost including options and doc to $78K which made me pay around $600 per year. The problem is the vehicle is new and SOS rely on NADA and they dont have an accurate cost.

MAKE SURE TO TAKE THE MONRONEY STICKER with you will help you to convince them the Base price is only $35K so far I know 1 person success story most end up paying for a $49K or $54K car's fees or you end up paying $600 reg fee for a $78K car like me for M3 performance

Some people under the condition they are selling the current car and their Bday falls before the Delivery date will pay apply for transfer and they wouldnt have to pay for that year. Its something I read dont quote me on this.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the super detailed responses. Other the likely pain at the SOS trying to gouge me for money they would otherwise get if Tesla could sell in Michigan, this doesn't sound too bad.
The drive back from SOS on a Tesla will make you forget it :cool:

Country
Country
I am on the west side and picked up a week ago.
I saw about 4 model 3s chargin at the super charger. At one point there were 5 cars (the most I have ever seen) charging. This is getting real.

NelsonD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I finally got to experience the SOS fun as Tesla took forever to get me the title. To add to step 5 in Samson's post above there wasn't much wiggle room as the full purchase price of the car is printed right on the OH title. Not sure if that's always been there but once they pointed that out to me that part of the conversation was over pretty quickly. The rest of the process was pretty typical so buying the car out of state wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.

Three Pixel

Country
Country
But the registration is based off the base price of a car, not the full purchase price. I showed them a print out of my MVPA that listed “Model 3 - $35,000” and they used that.

NelsonD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But the registration is based off the base price of a car, not the full purchase price. I showed them a print out of my MVPA that listed “Model 3 - $35,000” and they used that.
I tried giving them that and got shut down. They said they were unable to look up the NADA value (Tesla's not in that system yet apparently) so they went with what was on the title. The annoying part is this:

About Your Vehicle Registration
For model years 1984 and newer, the vehicle registration is based on the manufacturer's suggested retail (or base) price (ad valorem). Registrations for models 1983 or older are based on the vehicle's weight.

From here: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585-75432--,00.html

NelsonD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dang. Well, thanks for the extra road funding!
Ha. You know what, I'm going to make another appointment and go back later this week and see what they say. It's only 5 minutes away and it's worth a shot as this will save me a bunch of cash over the life of the car. If I have any luck with that I'll let everyone know.

NelsonD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had partial success at the SOS. After 2 hours and 20 minutes they agreed to change the value of the car to $53K instead of the full $60K in my case. She even said for whatever reason Tesla is treated differently (not cool). She also mentioned that anyone that was only charged at the $35K rate may get a letter in the future to correct that or it may be corrected at renewal time when their systems catch up. Good luck to those of you in that situation. However, this isn't a done deal yet. I have to wait until my registration and plate show up from the original application and then return to the SOS before they can make the adjustment. Bottom line I think I'll end up saving around $100/year if I'm not mistaken. Once this is a sure thing and actually changed I'll confirm.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got screwed with 81K! The 5500 Tesla took off was applied as a credit so SOS didn't recognize it as the selling price so I paid like an extra 300 and change for taxes. Broke ass Michigan taking every penny they can...lol

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone have a good place to get a tint job (one piece) near Ann Arbor for the back window and roof?
I had mine done at Motor City Auto Spa. They did the whole back window in one piece.

Anywhere you go, make sure they do not scratch the chrome around the doors or leave water streaks in the 3rd tail light.