Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Hello from ChargePoint!

42K views 163 replies 37 participants last post by  Tucker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Team ChargePoint here!

We've recently joined the community and we're thrilled to be here taking part in the discussions around EVs!

If you're not yet familiar with ChargePoint, we're the world's largest electric vehicle charging network. You've probably seen our charging spots around town, but you might not know we offer charging for homes, apartment complexes and condos, too.

We're here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

Looking forward to joining the conversation and can't wait to meet you all!

- Team ChargePoint

#2 ·

We've recently joined the community and we're thrilled to be here taking part in the discussions around EVs!

If you're not yet familiar with ChargePoint, we're the world's largest electric vehicle charging network. You've probably seen our charging spots around town, but you might not know we offer charging for homes, apartment complexes and condos, too.

We're here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

- Team ChargePoint
Welcome to the site!

I setup my ChargePoint account Sunday!!

#3 ·

- Team ChargePoint
Welcome!!

#4 ·

- Team ChargePoint
hello team CP!
There is a new project near my office that I was very happy to see has both designated resident and visitor/shopper ChargePoint L2, however, have seen multiple reports on Plugshare that it is difficult to use because there is no cell signal in the garage. (it is 1 1/2 floors below grade with 6 floors of concrete construction above). In cases like this, what's the best approach?
fyi... site address is 910 SE 10th Ave, Ptld, OR

#6 ·
hello team CP!
There is a new project near my office that I was very happy to see has both designated resident and visitor/shopper ChargePoint L2, however, have seen multiple reports on Plugshare that it is difficult to use because there is no cell signal in the garage. (it is 1 1/2 floors below grade with 6 floors of concrete construction above). In cases like this, what's the best approach?
fyi... site address is 910 SE 10th Ave, Ptld, OR
Are you asking how you use CharegePoint without access to their app? They send you a card, so cell signal should be irrelevant. Sorry if I misunderstood!

Reactions: ChargePoint
#5 ·
I've had a ChargePoint account for a few years now, and it's very convenient and easy to use. I love it. Welcome!

#7 ·
Does Chargepoint have a way to sense that cars are plugged in and not charging, and charge higher fees for that time? The two CP spots near my office often have EVs with small batteries parked and plugged in for 4-8 hours. It doesn't help that the CP cost is half the cost of parking at a street meter.
Once I have my Tesla I won't be very happy with those who don't share.

#9 ·

- Team ChargePoint
Welcome to the community! I've had my ChargePoint account setup and ready to go for a while now ;)

#10 ·
Glad to see you here!
I've used Chargepoint for years with my Leaf without issues, its been really helpful.
My hope for the future is that the various networks start consolidating both the tags needed for charging and the apps used.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Chargepoint app though, I use Plugshare most of the time as its location reviews are much more frequent and up to date with lots of user submitted location photos etc.

Kudos to Chargepoint though, I can see much more information in Plugshare than previously, so I'm assuming you are working together which is really helpful.

#17 ·
There are a few reasons a station might be offline. It could be part of an inspection &permitting process or the station owner may be opting to de-energize their stations during certain times, just to name a couple.

Either way, our team would need a bit more info to help with this question so I'd advise having the person at your office responsible for the station contact our technical support team. They can contact the station owner line at 1-877-850-4562.

@ChargePoint can the home charger be locked to be used by one particular vehicle?

Looking at it closely it doesn't seem to have a card reader or anything on it. Is there a way to prevent others from plugging in and stealing your power without installing one of the over-the-top commercial charge point stations?

See my other thread where I'm looking for a charger that can prevent others form using it:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/charger-lockout.4592/
I've taken a look at your other thread and saw that you're concerned about your station being easily accessible and visible from the road. Although ChargePoint Home chargers won't appear on the station map, they don't have a locking feature (this is great feedback!), so we'd suggest having a lock box installed to keep your Home inaccessible when you're away.

#16 ·
@ChargePoint can the home charger be locked to be used by one particular vehicle?

Looking at it closely it doesn't seem to have a card reader or anything on it. Is there a way to prevent others from plugging in and stealing your power without installing one of the over-the-top commercial charge point stations?

See my other thread where I'm looking for a charger that can prevent others form using it:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/charger-lockout.4592/

#20 ·
@ChargePoint, see if you have an explanation for this issue.

Sometimes when I arrive early in the morning, the stations are in an "unlocked" state - you can remove the charging plugs from the holsters without swiping a card first. Sometimes I'll remove it & re-seat it, and it will then lock. But even when I do that, and then swipe my card & plug in my car, the "Charging Status" screen on the website is messed up. It will display instantaneous power, total energy, and elapsed time correctly. But the graph will only show the last five minutes, and nothing actually appears on the graph.

Any idea why this happens? Can a bug be filed for the developers?

#21 ·
For a novice, reading the website (and ap FAQs, etc.), it is difficult to tell how this all works.

From what I can tell, ChargePoint offers its own EVSEs as hosted by business (and prices set by them) but the app will also show other "network" EVSEs as well; this is controlled by filters. Does the ChargePoint card work for all of those networks or do I have to enroll in all of them separately and carry a stack of cards? Does the app allow for BT le in lieu of a card? Do the other networks?

How reliable is the info about those other networks? It seems like even some of the ChargePoint status info may be crowd sourced rather than immediate so is it any more trustworthy than Waze or GasBuddy for petrol prices? Are there ICE detectors?

Since most of the locations which support Tesla charging (aside from the Tesla Superchargers) are level 2, are there time limits?

I imagine my use would be relegated to overnight charging at my travel destination or during long breaks like at a meal or movie whereas most enroute charging will be at Superchargers (and around town stuff will just get done at home unless I'm feeling cheap and there's a free one where I'm spending sometime). Since it's free to join, I will sign up for ChargePoint but, if not in this thread, I hope there's more information in the membership packet; unless, of course, I'm completely missing the obvious.

Thanks!

Reactions: Badback
#22 ·
@ChargePoint, see if you have an explanation for this issue.

Can a bug be filed for the developers?
Yes! You'll want to either call the station owners line I provided (it is different than our member support line), or if it's easier for you, send an email with the details to support@chargepoint.com :)

#24 ·
For a novice, reading the website (and ap FAQs, etc.), it is difficult to tell how this all works.

From what I can tell, ChargePoint offers its own EVSEs as hosted by business (and prices set by them) but the app will also show other "network" EVSEs as well; this is controlled by filters. Does the ChargePoint card work for all of those networks or do I have to enroll in all of them separately and carry a stack of cards? Does the app allow for BT le in lieu of a card? Do the other networks?

How reliable is the info about those other networks? It seems like even some of the ChargePoint status info may be crowd sourced rather than immediate so is it any more trustworthy than Waze or GasBuddy for petrol prices? Are there ICE detectors?

Since most of the locations which support Tesla charging (aside from the Tesla Superchargers) are level 2, are there time limits?

I imagine my use would be relegated to overnight charging at my travel destination or during long breaks like at a meal or movie whereas most enroute charging will be at Superchargers (and around town stuff will just get done at home unless I'm feeling cheap and there's a free one where I'm spending sometime). Since it's free to join, I will sign up for ChargePoint but, if not in this thread, I hope there's more information in the membership packet; unless, of course, I'm completely missing the obvious.

Thanks!
Hi!
Currently, we do show Blink stations on our maps as a convenience for drivers, however, you'll need a separate account. Here's more information on how you can pay at ChargePoint stations.

ChargePoint status is not crowdsourced, it's updated in real time through our network. Unfortunately, we don't have ICE detectors yet, however, this is great feedback that I've shared with the team! If you have any further questions that aren't answered in our FAQ, don't hesitate to reach out to our support team at support@chargepoint.com!

#25 ·
Signed up for my account a week or so ago after watching a Youtube video.. maybe a little premature since my estimated delivery is March - May... haha. We have about 15 ChargePoint stations here in Chattanooga that are sponsored by our Electric Power Board so they are all free to use. Excited about this since there is one close to my house and the Tesla Chargers are at the airport.

#26 ·
you may be interested to read up on Chargepoint suing Portland General Electric, who has been operating free chargers for a number of years and now opting to move to a pay model. Similar stories can be found of them clashing wtih various California utilities as well. CP is first and foremost a corporation and will go after others they see as cutting into their potential profits. if you are not able to access the full article let me know and I can send a scan from the publication's paper copy.

#29 ·
We wanted to update this thread to let you all know that we've recently introduced tap to charge for iPhone, Android, and Apple Watch! To use this new feature, all you need to do is hold your phone (with the ChargePoint app installed) against any ChargePoint station to start charging.

See how it works in the video below.

You can read more about the new feature on this LA Times article, or on the ChargePoint blog!

#32 ·
We wanted to update this thread to let you all know that we've recently introduced tap to charge for iPhone, Android, and Apple Watch! To use this new feature, all you need to do is hold your phone (with the ChargePoint app installed) against any ChargePoint station to start charging.

See how it works in the video below.

You can read more about the new feature on this LA Times article, or on the ChargePoint blog!
And in a garage without cell service? Does this still work?

#30 ·
That's great, I just got my card (still waiting for the car) and wondered if there would be an option not to carry it. I'm not a fan of the Apple wallet but understand that's probably the only way to implement tap to pay in iOS.

Thanks!

#31 ·
I'm not 100% sure as obviously I don't have my car to test it out either, but I don't think it goes through Apple Wallet.

I think you Open the ChargePoint app and then use Touch ID to authorize payment once you've selected the charger you will use.

#38 ·
Hi! I just saw this thread and happy to see chargepoint on this site! Good place to be since you'll have 100,000s of new EV customers from the model 3. :) I haven't signed up for ChargePoint yet, but I'm excited to try out the ones in front of my building at work! We have 4 stations and the price is even cheaper than charging at home! If the price stays low and the spots don't fill up, it'll probably be my primary method of charging after I get my Model 3!

#41 · (Edited)
Fun Facts:

Tesla drivers have traveled more than 63 million miles with ChargePoint so far!

We've been doing this for a long time. The first Tesla Roadster charged on ChargePoint in 2009, and Tesla drivers were creating their own adapters before Tesla distributed them.

ChargePoint has distributed over 21,000,000 kWh of electricity to Tesla drivers so far.

The average Tesla charging session on ChargePoint costs just $1, and 80% of Tesla charging on ChargePoint has been completely free.

In honor of these milestones, here's more on Model 3 charging details. We can't wait to help new Model 3 drivers log some serious miles, too!

#67 ·
Fun Facts:

We've been doing this for a long time. The first Tesla Roadster charged on ChargePoint in 2009, and Tesla drivers were creating their own adapters before Tesla distributed them.

ChargePoint has distributed over 21,000,000 kWh of electricity to Tesla drivers so far.

The average Tesla charging session on ChargePoint costs just $1, and 80% of Tesla charging on ChargePoint has been completely free.

In honor of these milestones, here's more on Model 3 charging details. We can't wait to help new Model 3 drivers log some serious miles, too!
The AWESOME moment when your blog post image kinda-sorta predicts the future. :D

Did you know:
Tesla drivers have traveled 63 million miles on ChargePoint, enough to get to Mars.
Here are three more tips for charging your Tesla!

#42 ·
Charging at home can be tricky if you live in a condo and have to get approval from your HOA to charge.

We've had hundreds of conversations with EV drivers to provide you with simple tips that will make it easy for your HOA to say "yes!" to your EV charging request.

You'll find our top 3 tips for negotiating with your HOA and a free eBook on condo charging, on the ChargePoint blog!

#44 ·
We're honored to have had the opportunity to partner with Associa to share and explore how getting around in gas cars affects emissions and local air quality.

We also offer information on how HOA board members can help make a difference by promoting alternative transit in their community.

You can find the full post here, on the Associa website!

Is your HOA board enabling your community to reduce emissions and improve air quality?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.