Hello from ChargePoint!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The ChargePoint Home Charger has a J1772 cord and plug. If you use it with a Tesla, you'll need to use the adapter that comes with the car and you lose the convenient feature of pressing the button on the Tesla cord end to open the charging port. So you have to do it on the screen, or with the app.

The Tesla Wall Connector can deliver up to 80 amps with the right circuit and the right on board charging equipment in the car, and is a great value for $500. You will only get a max of 32 amps with the ChargePoint unit and you lose the charge port opening convenience as mentioned above...
And the advantages of the Tesla Wall Connector you state with respect to amperage are totally lost on the M3 (even the LR), which can only take up to 32A/40A. Thus, a Chargepoint or Clipper Creek with adapter are just as good, and still provide the flexibility for your unenlightened friends ;)with non-Tesla EVs being able to partake in your electrons. :)

ChargePoint

Country
Country
Ro, would you mind answering the question above in the form of the relative pros & cons of the ChargePoint Home solution vs. the T≡SLA option?
Thanks!
Sure! @garsh and others pretty much had it covered - if you have other EV's (or plan for more in the future) in addition to your Tesla, a ChargePoint Home might be a solution to consider. The ChargePoint Home is also Energy Star certified and integrates with Nest and Amazon Echo. Many of our drivers love those features, though the choice will always depend on your individual household needs and longterm EV purchasing plans. :)

ChargePoint

Country
Country
We're proud to announce that ChargePoint has now been listed in the Global Cleantech 100 seven times, making us the first EV charging company to be inducted into the Cleantech Group Hall of Fame. We will continue to work with other industry leaders to enable clean transportation.

ChargePoint

Country
Country

ChargePoint

Country
Country
We've recently released our annual Charging Forward Report (our state of the industry report).
Here's where you can download the full report.

Charging Forward provides a vivid snapshot of the state of electric mobility, tracks the growth of EV charging and mass EV adoption, and paints a picture of what’s to come in electric mobility, utilities, fleets, vehicle technology and more.

In addition to taking a look back at the year before, the Charging Forward report takes a look forward, making several predictions about what’s to come in the world of e-mobility.

By 2020, we're estimating that more than three million public charging spots will be installed globally, supporting the mass adoption of electric vehicles around the world. As electric infrastructure grows, utilities and automakers will explore new business models that reflect the new realities and technologies associated with e-mobility.

ChargePoint

Country
Country
Fun Facts:

We’ve been doing this for a long time. The first Tesla Roadster charged on ChargePoint in 2009, and Tesla drivers were creating their own adapters before Tesla distributed them.

ChargePoint has distributed over 21,000,000 kWh of electricity to Tesla drivers so far.

The average Tesla charging session on ChargePoint costs just $1, and 80% of Tesla charging on ChargePoint has been completely free.

In honor of these milestones, here's more on Model 3 charging details. We can’t wait to help new Model 3 drivers log some serious miles, too!

The AWESOME moment when your blog post image kinda-sorta predicts the future. :D

Did you know:
Tesla drivers have traveled 63 million miles on ChargePoint, enough to get to Mars.
Here are three more tips for charging your Tesla!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may have been mentioned before, but for Chargepoint stations, do you need to put an adapter on the charger when you plug it into a Tesla? Which adapter do you need and does it come with the Model 3?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may have been mentioned before, but for Chargepoint stations, do you need to put an adapter on the charger when you plug it into a Tesla? Which adapter do you need and does it come with the Model 3?
This may vary by location, but the car comes with a J1772 in the states which I believe should have you mostly covered. I have tried yet, but I may this weekend!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may vary by location, but the car comes with a J1772 in the states which I believe should have you mostly covered. I have tried yet, but I may this weekend!
awesome thanks for the reply! Let me know how it works out! I hope it's relatively easy to pop on since I plan on using the ChargePoint charging station at work a majority of the time.

ChargePoint

Country
Country
We've recently released our annual Charging Forward Report (our state of the industry report).
Here's where you can download the full report.

Charging Forward provides a vivid snapshot of the state of electric mobility, tracks the growth of EV charging and mass EV adoption, and paints a picture of what’s to come in electric mobility, utilities, fleets, vehicle technology and more.

In addition to taking a look back at the year before, the Charging Forward report takes a look forward, making several predictions about what’s to come in the world of e-mobility.

By 2020, we're estimating that more than three million public charging spots will be installed globally, supporting the mass adoption of electric vehicles around the world. As electric infrastructure grows, utilities and automakers will explore new business models that reflect the new realities and technologies associated with e-mobility.

Our Charging Forward report is now interactive!

Everywhere a driver parks becomes an opportunity to charge, and considering that most cars are parked more than 90% of the time, that’s a lot of charging!

Choose a time of day on the slider at the link to see where EV drivers are charging.

Last edited:

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi! I'm planning on getting my model 3 in the next month or so. I figured I'd get an early start on signing up for your service. I'm at the credit card screen and it mentions promo code. Do you happen to have any promos going on right now? Thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi! I'm planning on getting my model 3 in the next month or so. I figured I'd get an early start on signing up for your service. I'm at the credit card screen and it mentions promo code. Do you happen to have any promos going on right now? Thanks!
Does it require an actual payment?

Admittedly, I got my ChargePoint card through work, and only ever use free public chargers, so I've never paid anything.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does it require an actual payment?

Admittedly, I got my ChargePoint card through work, and only ever use free public chargers, so I've never paid anything.
It says it's going to load my account with $10 my from my credit card on first use. I've heard there was a promo code at one point for $10 off charging. I'm not sure if that still exists, but figured I'd check. :)

Reef Club

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With Model 3 owners taking a large and unexpected hit to use Tesla Superchargers (69% increase here in Florida), I opened up my ChargePoint app to look at Level 2 options. Here in Orlando many ChargePoint chargers are free or the charge is 12 cents compared to Tesla Supercharger rate of 22 cents per kWh.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here in Orlando many ChargePoint chargers are free or the charge is 12 cents compared to Tesla Supercharger rate of 22 cents per kWh.
Just keep in mind that that Level 2 ChargePoint stations will be charging at 6.6 kW, while a supercharger will charge at up to 145 kW

Also, ChargePoint has no CHAdeMO stations in the Orlando area.
  • The stations that exist there are operated by others (like Nissan dealers), so your ChargePoint card won't help you pay for them.
  • They max out at 62 kW, so it will take a lot longer than a supercharger.
  • You'll have to purchase a $450 adapter in order to use them with a Tesla.
  • The adapter doesn't work with a Model 3 (expected to be fixed with a future software update).

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With Model 3 owners taking a large and unexpected hit to use Tesla Superchargers (69% increase here in Florida), I opened up my ChargePoint app to look at Level 2 options. Here in Orlando many ChargePoint chargers are free or the charge is 12 cents compared to Tesla Supercharger rate of 22 cents per kWh.

For me it'll be more convenient and cheaper since the price is set by my company and it's only 11 cents per kWh

ChargePoint

Country
Country
Welcome! We don't have any current promotions, though when we do we try to share them with the community here, and we always share our promotions with those following us on Twitter & Facebook!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome! We don't have any current promotions, though when we do we try to share them with the community here, and we always share our promotions with those following us on Twitter & Facebook!
Thanks for the info. Figured I'd give it a shot. :) I'll probably sign up some time this week, so maybe there will be a surprise? :)