Heater fan failure

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are three weeks into owning this wonderful car that has performed perfectly. Went for a short drive, and the fan that supplies heat to the car would not start. After a few miles, stopped the car, turned it off, exited, waited one minute, and tried again, no heater fan. The heat to the seats worked perfectly as did the rest of the car. The outside temperature was about 25, we are in the mountains of Colorado. Interestingly hours before while sitting in the car, in the unseated garage, getting the WiFi to connect, I turned the heater on, and the fan worked perfectly. We are not at version 9, in case that makes a difference.

The wait on the helpline was an hour, so sent a message to Tesla.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Lydia

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are three weeks into owning this wonderful car that has performed perfectly. Went for a short drive, and the fan that supplies heat to the car would not start. After a few miles, stopped the car, turned it off, exited, waited one minute, and tried again, no heater fan. The heat to the seats worked perfectly as did the rest of the car. The outside temperature was about 25, we are in the mountains of Colorado. Interestingly hours before while sitting in the car, in the unseated garage, getting the WiFi to connect, I turned the heater on, and the fan worked perfectly. We are not at version 9, in case that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Lydia
This is a new one on me.
If you haven’t already, I’d try a reset (hold in both scroll wheels and the brake until the Tesla “T” appears on the screen).
I’m guessing you cranked in all the way to 10 and still nothing?
I would login to your Tesla account and send an escalated message, being without heat in cold weather is definitely a reason to escalate an issue in my opinion.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is a new one on me.
If you haven’t already, I’d try a reset (hold in both scroll wheels and the brake until the Tesla “T” appears on the screen).
I’m guessing you cranked in all the way to 10 and still nothing?
I would login to your Tesla account and send an escalated message, being without heat in cold weather is definitely a reason to escalate an issue in my opinion.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Lydia
I just had the same problem. No heat. No fan. No defrost. The car completely fogged up. Pulled over and unrolled the windows in 20 degree temp. I was in route to catch a flight but had to return home to change cars.

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Similar here. Took delivery of the car yesterday, and realized heater wasnt working, but fan did. It was just blowing really old air, so no windshield defrost.
Pretty dangerous in Cold Climates. Returned the car 2 hours after picking it up. They promised to call me monday AM first thing.
From what i could gather the HEater element is electric, so this is either a fuse in the element or the element itself. This is not like regular cars, i think it runs on 400 volts, so not something that can be easily fixed. I presume the blower fan might be connected to the fusebox. Might want to check if you have a blown fuse.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is not like regular cars, i think it runs on 400 volts, so not something that can be easily fixed.
True it is not like other cars, but 400 V does not mean it cannot be fixed easily. The heater element may just need to be replaced. Now, if that requires disassembling the dash like a heater core on a ICE car would, that is not so easy.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank for sharing atod. My problem is not a blown fuse. Most of the time everything works fine so it's not a blown fuse. When it acts up, nothing works. No fan. No heat. No front defrost No AC. Ten minutes of two hours later, everything works again. The symptoms are more like a software problem. I am scheduled for service week and will report in.

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
True it is not like other cars, but 400 V does not mean it cannot be fixed easily. The heater element may just need to be replaced. Now, if that requires disassembling the dash like a heater core on a ICE car would, that is not so easy.
Agreed. I saw somewhere a post where someone out of warranty on a model S had to pay 2000$ for the heater element, so i just assumed that at that price it wouldn't be trivial.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. I saw somewhere a post where someone out of warranty on a model S had to pay 2000$ for the heater element, so i just assumed that at that price it wouldn't be trivial.
I would guess it requires dash removal then, similar to a heater core replacement. Fingers crossed we never need one!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I would guess it requires dash removal then, similar to a heater core replacement. Fingers crossed we never need one!
The $2000 was from a Model S. One of Tesla's goals was to make the Model 3 easier to work on. I'm assuming the Model 3 heater core is more accessible, probably in the passenger footwell.

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The $2000 was from a Model S. One of Tesla's goals was to make the Model 3 easier to work on. I'm assuming the Model 3 heater core is more accessible, probably in the passenger footwell.
What i understood from other forums was that the unit in older model S had a non-serviceable fuse inside it, and that they changed in 2016 and up to a serviceable fuse ( which only helps if the fuse is blown and not the unit itself). I wasn't able to find out where the unit is in either of the cars, at least not clearly. I will post more info as i hear from the service dept.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Any ideas?

Thanks, Lydia
I had this issue - spoke with roadside assistance...pushed a firmware update at my appointment as a 'known fault' where the fan would not blow. Haven't had a repeat since.

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
update on the heater issue: shop pushed an update and it worked. I get the impression that some upgrade paths ( X to Y to Z) leve pieces out and so they need to go back and re-apply versons one by one in small increments, or they remotely send a small update package for the missing pieces.

In any case it was a SW issue for me and my cr heater now works as good as ever!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
In any case it was a SW issue for me and my cr heater now works as good as ever!
I'm glad they could fix it with just a software update. This might be a dumb question but I can't figure out what a "cr heater" is. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the cabin heater but I don't know what "cr" stands for. Climate Regulation?

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm glad they could fix it with just a software update. This might be a dumb question but I can't figure out what a "cr heater" is. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the cabin heater but I don't know what "cr" stands for. Climate Regulation?
yes it was a typo. Cabin heater :)