Heat under front seats after long drive

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just got back from about 100 miles of driving (including a supercharging session) in my LR AWD 3. I was reaching for bags on the rear floor and noticed quite a bit of heat. I wondered at first if heat was coming from the rear vent, but it was off and there was no air coming from the vents. I felt around and determined it was coming from underneath the front seats.

I thought it might be heat coming through the floor from the battery pack, but the front floor and the front of the base of the rear seat (where the penthouse resides) were both cool to the touch. Granted, I have floor mats covering those areas, but I expected more uniform heating.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I know the seat connections are there and perhaps that's conducting heat from the battery pack?

Thoughts? Have you noticed this?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have not noticed this, but had wondered that if on a long drive the battery would warm up enough to provide some heat in to the cabin. I would think though this would be a moderate heat across the complete floor however.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just got back from about 100 miles of driving (including a supercharging session) in my LR AWD 3. I was reaching for bags on the rear floor and noticed quite a bit of heat. I wondered at first if heat was coming from the rear vent, but it was off and there was no air coming from the vents. I felt around and determined it was coming from underneath the front seats.

I thought it might be heat coming through the floor from the battery pack, but the front floor and the front of the base of the rear seat (where the penthouse resides) were both cool to the touch. Granted, I have floor mats covering those areas, but I expected more uniform heating.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I know the seat connections are there and perhaps that's conducting heat from the battery pack?

Have done quite a few long drives and have noticed this as well, to the extent that we avoid putting chocolate chip cookies etc on the back floor because they get too soft. Definitely gets hot there. Maybe a lot of it is just from hot air flow in the winter? Will have to keep a closer eye on it and compare in warmer weather.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Sounds like you where doing some of your own Emissions Testing on your trip :D