headlight eyelid one side brighter than the other

Country
Country
[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]I just notice on my headlight right side eyelid is much brighter than the left, after close inspection it seems like the light source behind the left "broken" one is not align compare to the other side, it is very difficult take picture as the camera will be pointing at the light, I'll be bring my car in for paint issue (hair/fiber under the paint) discover during delivery to SC and will bring this up as well, has anyone else experience this issue?[/FONT]

my car was deliver 2 weeks ago at the Fremont

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Not sure if this helps but most highly focused newer headlights like HID and LED are "lower" on the left to reduce blinding of oncoming drivers.

edit:
presumably in RHD countries, it would be opposite where the right headlight is lower. Sometimes this is achieved by an internal "screen" that adjusts when you flick the highbeam

Last edited:
Country
Country
I can see your point! and I agree, except the normal lights are working fine is just the eye lid part is a lit dimmer one side than the other, specially when you pull up to other cars and let the eye lid reflect back.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After seeing your image above, I noticed this while driving yesterday. I think it has to do with the angle that you're seeing the light. I tried to move my head towards the passenger side, and noticed the brightness seemed to lower on the RH side and get brighter on the LH one. Not sure if it's really an issue.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can see your point! and I agree, except the normal lights are working fine is just the eye lid part is a lit dimmer one side than the other, specially when you pull up to other cars and let the eye lid reflect back.
I think this would be more useful taking a photo facing a flat reflective surface, instead of a convex back of a car. Where your car sits vs the car ahead will throw off what the reflections look like.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif] it is very difficult take picture as the camera will be pointing at the light, I'll be bring my car in for paint issue (hair/fiber under the paint) discover during delivery to SC and will bring this up as well, has anyone else experience this issue?
I know how hard it can be to adequately document this type of issue. I recommend you step up to the plate and get one of these to get a repeatable and non-subjective measurement:
http://www.gamma-sci.com/product/uprtek-pg100n-handheld-spectrometer/
;)

Last edited:
Country
Country
bought it in to the SC and have the service rep stand in front of the car while I switch the light on and off and they agree something is wrong, they replace the headlamp and everything is good now!

Update: now the new headlamp the turn signal blink twice as fast.... will have to bring it back in and see what happened.

Last edited:
Country
Country
[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]I just notice on my headlight right side eyelid is much brighter than the left, after close inspection it seems like the light source behind the left "broken" one is not align compare to the other side, it is very difficult take picture as the camera will be pointing at the light, I'll be bring my car in for paint issue (hair/fiber under the paint) discover during delivery to SC and will bring this up as well, has anyone else experience this issue?[/FONT]

It sounds like you are referring to the daytime running lights. They should be at the same.

Olague

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I took in my car for the same issue (Passenger headlight brighter than the driver). You can't tell if you stand right in front, you need to be a good 30+ feet away from the car, the technician finally agreed, the passenger was brighter. After several days, this was the response from Tesla:
"Technician has verified customer concern, Technician has verified that light pattern is going to be higher on the front right side, to illuminate road signs and lower on drivers side to prevent blinding oncoming traffic/ drivers."

Does this sound correct? Does this mean all Tesla 3's are driving around with one headlight brighter than the other??? This doesn't sound right.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I took in my car for the same issue (Passenger headlight brighter than the driver). You can't tell if you stand right in front, you need to be a good 30+ feet away from the car, the technician finally agreed, the passenger was brighter. After several days, this was the response from Tesla:
"Technician has verified customer concern, Technician has verified that light pattern is going to be higher on the front right side, to illuminate road signs and lower on drivers side to prevent blinding oncoming traffic/ drivers."

Does this sound correct? Does this mean all Tesla 3's are driving around with one headlight brighter than the other??? This doesn't sound right.
Cars have has asymetric lights for decades.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Does this mean all Tesla 3's are driving around with one headlight brighter than the other??? This doesn't sound right.
The two headlights are the same brightness but they have different reflectors/lenses and the pattern thrown is different for the left and right headlights. The cutoff of the driver-side headlight should be lower to avoid blinding on-coming traffic and the passenger side headlight throws light further down the road. However, since on-coming traffic is not directly in front of the vehicle, both headlights might appear roughly the same brightness from the opposite lane (which is probably why you have not noticed this on all cars with properly adjusted headlights).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have noticed this too, as I was in another car and someone was driving my model 3. Since it is just a day-time driving light I have not done anything about it. Now I thinking that perhaps I should.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Crouch down and see if it changes.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Crouch down and see if it changes.
How would that help?

The explanation given by Tesla techs is correct:

Country
Country
The two headlights are the same brightness but they have different reflectors/lenses and the pattern thrown is different for the left and right headlights. The cutoff of the driver-side headlight should be lower to avoid blinding on-coming traffic and the passenger side headlight throws light further down the road. However, since on-coming traffic is not directly in front of the vehicle, both headlights might appear roughly the same brightness from the opposite lane (which is probably why you have not noticed this on all cars with properly adjusted headlights).

the issue one is about the signature DRL, "the angle eye lid" in order to have that on and off you'll have to manually turn the light off/park with the touch screen. when the actual light is turn on the eye lid is off. once the SC replace my right headlight unit it is the same now

Country
Country

quick way to test is to have the technician stand in front, and someone one put the car in Drive + manually switch between park <-> off, then they should be able to see

Country
Country
How would that help?

The explanation given by Tesla techs is correct:

I have no idea about that specific issue, the car have to be in drive, for the DRL "eye lid" to light up. It shows better if is under shade and not directly under the sun