Headlight Default Setting and Eyebrow Lights

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to set the Headlight Default Setting to OFF. Having to turn the lights off every time I get in the car is really annoying.

I would also like to be able to permanently turn off the "eyebrow lights". There is no setting for this. Do I need to take the car back to Tesla to have this done, or does someone know how to access the headlight pods so I can just unplug them? I am sure this just entails removing plastic bits from the front trunk starting with the two cargo clip screws. From there, are there hidden screws or plastic bits to remove at the front end of the trunk near the bumper to open things up and get access to the light pods?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
they act as daytime running lights. curious your reasoning for wanting to have them off

personally, I'd much rather give those around me every opportunity to see my car.
I am not a fan of daytime running lights for a number of reasons. This is not a discussion about DRL's. They are not mandatory in the U.S. and we Model 3 owners should absolutely have a choice to have them on or off. You have every right to, as you stated "give those around me every opportunity to see my car", but for those who do not believe as you do , as I have stated, there should be a choice.
I really dislike having to turn them off every time I get in my car. If there is no other way to address, what I see as a problem, then disconnecting the DRL's by removing the plug is the only answer I guess, though I would find it sad to have to resort to this.

As for the lighting default being set to automatic, I feel the same way, there should be a choice as to whether Tesla drivers want this or not on their individual cars.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The U.S. screwed up DRLs when they allowed GM to implement them back in the 90s by firing up the high beams at a lower output setting. I hate those things. Sure, it's not as bright, but now it's aimed right at my eyes, and those bother me to no end.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To answer your question, no you can’t do it. The headlight units are software controlled, and I doubt Tesla is going to allow you access to the source code to make your own car modifications. Sorry! (?)

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having to turn the lights off every time I get in the car is really annoying.
this is a question of the freedom to choose auxiliary lighting or not,
You've answered your own question: you have the freedom (apparently) to turn off the lights every time you get in the car. It's annoying because the car is designed with safety in mind. Your use case is, let's say, in the minority. Wanna be a rebel? Don't expect the world to conform.

There's plenty of evidence that DRLs improve safety. This quotation (below) from IIHS includes the outlier study you mentioned. Keep in mind that passenger cars are a shrinking part of the U.S. vehicle market; in the rest of that market (i.e. light trucks),
"involvement in two-vehicle crashes [was reduced by] by a statistically significant 5.7%." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp.

the National Highway and Transportation Administration concluded that there is no evidence that DRL's provide enough of a safety benefit to require federal regulation
The question of whether the safety benefit justifies federal regulation has been rendered moot by the economics of the integration of NAFTA and global automotive markets. It now makes sense for US automakers to conform to those standards and make DRLs standard equipment. In point of fact, that same study says, "we do not find data that provides a definitive safety benefit that justifies Federal regulation (…) manufacturers should continue to make individual decisions regarding DRLs in their vehicles." Which is what you are now complaining about: Tesla (along with GM, Saab, Volvo, Suzuki, Subaru, Honda, Lexus, etc.) has decided, without US government regulation, to make this safety feature standard.

How effective are DRLs?
Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. A 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs. 15 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in multiple-vehicle daytime crash risk in nine U.S. states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs. 16
Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide from 1995 to 2001, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes. 17 However, a 2008 federal study concluded that DRLs reduce crash involvements of pickups, SUVs and vans but have no significant effect on crashes of passenger cars. 18

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just removed a bunch of posts in this thread.

Hey everyone let’s please watch the tone here. The original poster is just asking a question about wanting to adjust something that is not against the law (whether it should be or shouldn’t be is a different discussion and those eyebrow lights are hardly doing anything in daylight).

It’s not something I would do because I like the character it adds to the car, but let’s keep the peace!

OP best bet really is to ask Tesla and be prepared for silence as none of us really know what’s in the pipeline beyond what has leaked via Elon on Twitter.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just removed a bunch of posts in this thread.

Hey everyone let’s please watch the tone here. The original poster is just asking a question about wanting to adjust something that is not against the law (whether it should be or shouldn’t be is a different discussion and those eyebrow lights are hardly doing anything in daylight).

It’s not something I would do because I like the character it adds to the car, but let’s keep the peace!

OP best bet really is to ask Tesla and be prepared for silence as none of us really know what’s in the pipeline beyond what has leaked via Elon on Twitter.
Really?

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey everyone let’s please watch the tone here.
You’re right. I should have said “that’s a crazy idea” instead of “you’re a crazy person”. Small difference in wording, big difference in meaning and intent.

Michael, I strongly disagree with you on this (as may have been obvious), but hey, we may very well agree on other things. I retract my “you’re a crazy person” comment. My apologies.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's only one connector for the headlight and the rest is sealed. So you'd have to find which wire controlled the "eyebrow", if they're even controlled by a single wire (may not be the case). However, in "Range" mode on Model S/X, these lights are off. So perhaps in a future software update that includes Range mode for Model 3, you will have this ability.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You’re right. I should have said “that’s a crazy idea” instead of “you’re a crazy person”. Small difference in wording, big difference in meaning and intent.

Michael, I strongly disagree with you on this (as may have been obvious), but hey, we may very well agree on other things. I retract my “you’re a crazy person” comment. My apologies.
I strongly agree with your disagree. For the record.

barjohn

Country
Country
In case you are tempted to try and get to the back of the light assembly be aware that you have to remove the trunk and the bumper to do that. Not a fun job for a maybe.

Dinozero

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don't mean to say anything inflammatory but I do want to say I learned to drive in a state that mandated the lights to your car be on at all times while operating a vehicle.

I am also a manager of a company that operates of the largest vehicle fleets in the US. We have proven data to show that our employee's that do not run their vehicles with the lights on at all times are more likely to be in an accident. Which is why we have a mandatory rule to run your lights at all time.

And finally I want to say, living in a state that now does NOT require people to have their lights on. I can't stand it when it's raining and nasty outside and there is a grey/silver car behind me that is practically invisible.

I once took a picture from my rear view mirror... I show it to a lot of people to show the severity of driving without your lights on. There is a grey car behind me but in the rear view mirror picture it is 98% invisible. It always surprises people when I make them look closer and they see that there is, in fact a car in the picture.

That is all. :)

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would Imagine it would just be a simple setup and coding for adjustments.

i hated the DRLS on most of the early adopter cars since they used the headlights at a lower wattage...thus killing the life of them over time. but with the LEDS...all day every day for me.