HD Radio and USB Ports

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HD Radio: So we already know AM radio is not available. On the 3 specs page it says "FM/Internet radio" but on the Model S specs it specifically mentions HD Radio. I wonder if it was an oversight or it just won't be available. There are a handful of HD2 stations around that play a great mix with no commercials, and HD2 stations do not stream online.

USB Ports: The Premium package comes with 4 USB ports: 2 front, and 2 rear. Do the rear ports offer a data connection or just charging? It would be nice to plug a small MP3 USB stick in one of the rear ports and leave the fronts open for phone charging (or a dash cam, etc).

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HD Radio: So we already know AM radio is not available. On the 3 specs page it says "FM/Internet radio" but on the Model S specs it specifically mentions HD Radio. I wonder if it was an oversight or it just won't be available. There are a handful of HD2 stations around that play a great mix with no commercials, and HD2 stations do not stream online.

USB Ports: The Premium package comes with 4 USB ports: 2 front, and 2 rear. Do the rear ports offer a data connection or just charging? It would be nice to plug a small MP3 USB stick in one of the rear ports and leave the fronts open for phone charging (or a dash cam, etc).
I think we're in wait and see mode.

On the USB ports though, I can't see the back 2 doing anything besides charging.

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HD Radio: So we already know AM radio is not available. On the 3 specs page it says "FM/Internet radio" but on the Model S specs it specifically mentions HD Radio.
This makes me sad. I listen to AM because the station I like has poorer signal quality on its FM counterpart. I will have to join the modern world of streaming, I guess.

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep,I'm going to listen to the Local AM station for traffic and weather using TuneIn radio on the Model 3
The station I like has an app of its own for live streaming. That's an extra step compared to powering on the radio and having it there immediately. I guess in the modern age we must suffer with options.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The station I like has an app of its own for live streaming. That's an extra step compared to powering on the radio and having it there immediately. I guess in the modern age we must suffer with options.
have you looked to see if it's on Tunein? if so, and Tesla has the same streaming options (Slacker/Tunein in the US) as the S/X, you should be good.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

The MS/MX FM radios do have HD radio and RDS when supported by the radio station. I don't expect any different for the M3. I also have seen no mention of XM in the specs for the M3. It's possible that XM is not offered. An interesting observation: MS has AM/FM/ optional XM. I've listened to AM in the MS and while it's adequate, there's definitely electrical interference in the sound. The MX only has FM and optional XM. I've seen many posts on sub optional reception of XM because Elon nixed the idea of the XM wart. Perhaps this is why XM won't even be an option on M3?

The internet streaming radio is nice, when it works. I still can't listen to Bloomberg and it's FRUSTRATING! Tune In streaming (similar to Spotify) is included for MS/MX and I presume to be the same for M3 due to lack of AM.

For the rear USB ports, I just checked my MX and they are POWER only, no data. Front ports are data. Data really isn't necessary because the Tesla Bluetooth data connection is great and can sync your calendar, contacts and stream your music files wirelessly. If you have a small USB music stick, You could just load that on your phone and ditch the stick.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
at the front console, has anyone picked up if the 2 USB ports are specifically the 2 for the phone docks, or are there those 2 hidden ones the phone docks plug into plus 2 additional in the front?
so technically a total of 6, 4 exposed and 2 routed to the phone docks? or are the only exposed USB the 2 facing the rear passengers?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
at the front console, has anyone picked up if the 2 USB ports are specifically the 2 for the phone docks, or are there those 2 hidden ones the phone docks plug into plus 2 additional in the front?
so technically a total of 6, 4 exposed and 2 routed to the phone docks? or are the only exposed USB the 2 facing the rear passengers?
The phone dock installation is optional. Trevor's post of the installation instructions shows it's the same as other Tesla's. Installing the phone dock requires plugging the appropriate dongle for your phone into one of the existing USB ports.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I currently have Spotify Premium on a Samsung tablet (yep, I'm the dinosaur with no smart phone) that uses an aux (wired) connection/input into the stereo of my Prius.

Based on Model S and X technology, should I be able to stream my music (from my tablet) to my Model 3?

Thanks

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I currently have Spotify Premium on a Samsung tablet (yep, I'm the dinosaur with no smart phone) that uses an aux (wired) connection/input into the stereo of my Prius.

Based on Model S and X technology, should I be able to stream my music (from my tablet) to my Model 3?

Thanks
Yes. See one post above. Bluetooth Audio!