Having second thoughts...

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hello all ! I received my invitation Friday to configure my Model 3. I'm Having second thoughts and I may try and sell my place.
Rick, hi . I want to say congrats first since you’ve been waiting for so long!!

On the second part of your post, you’ve got some of us intrigued... Hence copied this in a new thread to have a bit of an exchange outside of the ‘pure’ Invite & Delivery thread.

So, care to to elaborate on the reasons behind your second thoughts...? Maybe we can help you in taking the right decision, for you of course...! ;)

RICK M

Hi Michael. Thanks for your reply. One of my patients came by the office last week driving a red Model 3. He was not really keen on the placement of the speedometer. He paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 54,000 . The car appeared much smaller than I had envisioned. (Just my opinion) My friend has a Model S P90D and he simply loves his Tesla. He is letting me test drive the Model S next week. I will report back on the drive, handling, fit & finish. I'm probably purchase a used Model S that comes with free lifetime Super Charging. I will make a decision this coming week, and perhaps sell my position if it's legal.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Hi Michael. Thanks for your reply. One of my patients came by the office last week driving a red Model 3. He was not really keen on the placement of the speedometer. He paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 54,000 . The car appeared much smaller than I had envisioned. (Just my opinion) My friend has a Model S P90D and he simply loves his Tesla. He is letting me test drive the Model S next week. I will report back on the drive, handling, fit & finish. I'm probably purchase a used Model S that comes with free lifetime Super Charging. I will make a decision this coming week, and perhaps sell my position if it's legal.
If you decide to not get the 3, your reservation is likely not transferable and even if it were, there is no monetary value to it now that production is ramping. Current Model 3 owners trying to sell their almost no mileage cars for whatever reason are not able to sell at prices over sticker minus rebate.

The 3 and the S are both great cars but not really comparable directly. When you test drive his SP90D, you will be driving a car that he likely paid over $140k. It will be bigger and faster with a more traditional style cockpit with front display and larger center screen.

Getting a used Model S with unlimited charging may be a better choice for many people, especially those that would supercharge a lot on road trips and don’t put too much value in the “new car smell” but you really should make the decision based on your true cost to purchase. The 3 will receive the $7,500 Federal tax rebate whereas a used S does not. CPO Teslas can be very pricey, almost to the point that a new one with the rebate becomes very enticing. If you can find a privately seller, you’ll likely do much better. If you do choose a use Model S, make sure to get the extended warranty. The expensive gadgets and active suspension are all pricey to repair.

Either way, you can’t make a wrong choice.

barjohn

Country
Country
I own an S and I can tell you it is a really fun and fabulous car. It is surprisingly nimble for its size and weight. I have driven 3 several times and ridden in one on a couple of occasions. Interior passenger space is only slightly less than an S but cargo space is substantially larger in the S and easier to load due to the hatchback design rather than a tunnel trunk. The S is also quicker from a standstill and for passing. The 3 is easier to park, feels lighter and more nimble, transmits more road noise and wind noise than the S and is generally a pretty nice car. It doesn't ride like an S with air suspension yet, and lacks the dual motors for now. However, that version is just around the corner so maybe worth waiting for.

RICK M

Rick, hi . I want to say congrats first since you’ve been waiting for so long!!

On the second part of your post, you’ve got some of us intrigued... Hence copied this in a new thread to have a bit of an exchange outside of the ‘pure’ Invite & Delivery thread.

So, care to to elaborate on the reasons behind your second thoughts...? Maybe we can help you in taking the right decision, for you of course...! ;)
Hi Michael! Sorry so late on responding. I work with an Eye Surgeon and we have been extremely busy. My second thoughts are based on these facts. Elon renege on the small amount of free charging he was going to give us, Secondly, those of us that put our money down on day one are being rewarded with a "toy" model of our vehicle. ( something special ? ). I think not. Thirdly, It was similar to a bait and switch
when Elon jacked up the price $14,000 with the battery and interior upgrade. There are quite a few model S vehicles that can be purchased for less than I could buy the current model 3. One gentleman in our group stated that he refused delivery due to a wavy front windshield.
He also stated that he hopes they can install a new windshield in a timely fashion. I would never consider spending that amount of money on a new Tesla with a replacement window . Just my opinion, of course. I believe that bypassing the beta testing has resulted in the poor quality that is coming out of Fremont. Lastly, Elon is a great politician, and has an answer for every issue which keeps all of us in his Vortex.
Purchasing a used Model S has many advantages: If the vehicle has free super charging, the free supercharging follows the car and not the owner. I detest the 15" laptop screen mounted to the dash. Regardless of some owners stating it isn't a big deal, for me it's a deal breaker. I refuse to constantly turn to my right to see my speed.The Model S in my opinion is much better looking, has twice the frunk/trunk space,and has much more interior space.. Also the dash on the Model S is the dash I was hoping for ( or very similar). To me, it's the dash that looks much more like a spaceship than the "spaceship" dash promised by Elon. I'm really unhappy with these many points after putting my money down on day one. The two year wait and the end product that we have been presented, has convinced me that the Model S is the way to go. Also, I'm sure everyone is aware at the constantly rising gas prices. The free super charging is lookin better all the time. I honestly wish every one who purchases the Model 3 end up with a quality vehicle with few issues.

barjohn

Country
Country
This is an update on my view and thoughts. I really liked my S, a late 2016 model with absolutely nothing wrong with it. The free for life of car Super Charging was a big plus. In the end, I decided to sell it and buy the 3 I had reserved on day 2 on line. The best way to describe my thinking is to compare two previous cars. I had a 2012 Genesis and a Merceds C class. The Genesis was a lot like the S in being a larger car, much plusher leather interior with all the bells and whistles. A heavy but quick car and my wife liked driving it. I drove the Mercedes with MB-Tex (their fake leather). It was no where near as nice an interior as the Genesis but it was lighter and much more nimble. Much easier to park and frankly more fun to drive except on long trips where the extra comfort from the Genesis won out. The Merc required more attention when driving which was fun on short jaunts but could get tiring on a long cross country trip. The Genesis also had adaptive cruise control and the Merc didn't.

Well the S is like the Genesis in being much nicer inside with real leather seats (in mine) and many bells and whistles (power trunk open and close, etc.). The 3 is more like the Merc. Clearly fake leather seats, lighter, more nimble, etc. However, having AP (Auto Steer and TACC) means that when you are taking a long trip it is far less fatiguing than the Merc and almost as good as the S with one other big advantage and that is the much longer range. I have to say that I really like the 3 much more than I thought I would. The S is the classy lady you meet in a sophisticated bar in New York that has a twinkle in her eye and just enough mischief to keep you intrigued and the 3 is the hot college cheerleader you drool over at the football games. If that doesn't get me in trouble nothing will! ;D

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi, @RICK M , good to read from you again!

A lot of the S advantages you list, together with a stroke of luck by which my path cross with that of an extraordinarily low mileage yet affordable S, with AP1 and free SC for life, is why I am now the proud & happy owner of Red Dragon! The fact that I was probably at least 15-18 months away from potential delivery of Midnight S≡R≡NITY also contributed to this decision!
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/introducing-red-dragon.6376/page-6#post-94436

Having said this, if you read the interesting reports by all those who have already taken deliveries, it certainly seems like Model 3 is a fantastic car which will be please tens of thousands of owners. In the end it always will be a matter of personal needs and taste, coupled with some luck in finding the right CPO S for your budget.

Take care,
Mike