Have someone in another state buy Tesla for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was on tesla.com building my dream model S/X and i noticed one could change the state they are in for that states Tax credit. Looks like Louisiana has the highest at $9,500. So i was thinking anyone hear of having a resident of a different state buy the car under their name(giving them the money to do so before hand) then buy it from them for $1 or some small nominal amount. And of course give them some $$$ for their troubles. yet still coming out ahead per the higher state rebate?

Im in CA we get $2,500 credit, LA gets $9,500 so a $7,000 difference! give the buyer even 1/2 that your still ahead $3,500. then drive back to CA. What would the registration/fees be to register it once one got back to CA(assuming that is your home state)

Just a thought :)

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing as someone from Manitoba expecting to get the generous Ontario rebate when they have none and not being a resident.

Don't mess with tax people or the government.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So i was thinking anyone hear of having a resident of a different state buy the car under their name(giving them the money to do so before hand) then buy it from them for $1 or some small nominal amount
Here's the form you need to fill out when buying a used car in California: Bill of Sale
You have to enter the sale price. Then you have to sign it. Right above the signature, it says:
I certify (or declare) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of California that the foregoing is true and correct
I suppose that only the seller is in trouble for perjury. But there's probably a general tax evasion provision that you as the buyer would be in trouble for.

great tips everyone. I can see it both ways. It's not like 0 taxes have been paid they have, by the original buyer. And now knowing about the CA gift option that makes it more viable. Not that i'm going to do this at all. Just a thought I had and was wondering if anyone had heard of it being done. :)

Randy

Here in Ontario Canada , the tax man tells you what you will pay taxes on. What would be considered a so called used vehicle.
When you change the ownership over ,even if you show a bill of sale that states a purchase price of $1.00 , you would pay the provincial tax based on the governments "Book Value" of that vehicle. So here at least, no advantage the sales tax would be paid twice.
As Trevor stated above
Don't mess with tax people or the government
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.