Haters gonna hate... lovers gonna love!! :-)

Marcumar

Country
Country
I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the german media and commentators. You only have to read this recent editorial of spiegel online and the commentaries, and you understand the mentality behind the german car makers:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/un...taugliche-e-mobil-zum-gejagten-a-1176384.html

For those not fluent in german, they reason that Tesla is running out of time, the competition has more know-how and will soon build better cars. They complain about Tesla's build quality, with "inaccurate seat seams, cracking cockpits and bigger clearances". And in the commentaries is a lot of talk about the future of ICE- and hydrogen-cars...

I'm guessing they will only realize the paradigm shift in the car industry when they aren't allowed to drive their combustion cars in the cities anymore, when the unemployment rates will rise and China is the leading automobile manufacturer.

P.S.:

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the german media and commentators. You only have to read this recent editorial of spiegel online and the commentaries, and you understand the mentality behind the german car makers:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/un...taugliche-e-mobil-zum-gejagten-a-1176384.html

For those not fluent in german, they reason that Tesla is running out of time, the competition has more know-how and will soon build better cars. They complain about Tesla's build quality, with "inaccurate seat seams, cracking cockpits and bigger clearances". And in the commentaries is a lot of talk about the future of ICE- and hydrogen-cars...

I'm guessing they will only realize the paradigm shift in the car industry when they aren't allowed to drive their combustion cars in the cities anymore, when the unemployment rates will rise and China is the leading automobile manufacturer.

P.S.:
Marcumar, herzlich willkommen und total einverstanden!!!

I think the German carmakers, to a lesser extent Daimler, though they don’t really have a decent car on the road yet but seems a lot more believable in their plans than VAG, have mostly been talk talk talk lately with insufficient action. Even BMW, up to a few years ago my favorite brand (not counting Ferrari, when I am awake...), has been a disappointment despite the (ever) fugly i3 and growing number of PHEVs.
Basically they were caught by surprise by T≡SLA’s success and now, journalists think they are helping with their T≡SLA-bashing... Even in 2020, T≡SLA will still be way ahead and setting the scene, particularly with their SC network...

Konstantinos Kostis

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let's not forget that car makers do a lot of advertizing and most press depends on that revenue stream.
Tesla does exactly zero advertizing using media/press but any time the press mentions Tesla they make the name more prominent.
Even bad news is better than no news when it comes to brand awareness.
When the Model 3 is a bit more common on the roads regular people will ask about/for those cars, not just EV enthusiasts.

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
habe hier ein Video gefunden wo ein junger Mann einen Erlebnisbericht abgibt von seiner ersten Fahrt mit dem Model 3 in USA. klingt alles sehr sehr positiv. Wahnsinn die Warterei muss man irgendwie durchstehen ;)

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Sehr interessant. Deutsche Meinung über Model 3!! Bravo!

Very interesting: a lucky German guy got to test drive a Model while on business trip in the Bay Area. He confirms, there’s nothing else that good in that price range, EV or ICE!
And, for the tall ones amongst y’all, he’s 6’6 and his buddy 6’5 and they were both seated correctly one in the front, one in the back!

You are right, @Matthias Fritz , the wait is a challenge, yet the prize, the prize...!! :)

Marcumar

Country
Country
First deliveries in Europe/Germany maybe early 2019?

The things that help me tolerate the long wait are:

1) can save more money
2) car and software will be refined
3) awd and air suspension should be available
4) better charging infrastructure

I reserved only in february 2017, but I guess with the increasing production ramp your spot in line won't make such a big difference. Someone estimated that there're about 20.000 reservations in Germany.

Konstantinos Kostis

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Frankly if I could I would want to have my Model 3 "yesterday" (reserved it on 2016-03-31). Software will become better over time via ota updates, anyway, I don't care for awd nor air suspension, charging infrastructure is fine for me already. I don't need to sugar coat the delay but I won't complain since we're all in the same boat and it's not like there is a usable alternative to this car, yet (Model S/X are just to huge and expensive for me).

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
First deliveries in Europe/Germany maybe early 2019?

The things that help me tolerate the long wait are:

1) can save more money
2) car and software will be refined
3) awd and air suspension should be available
4) better charging infrastructure

I reserved only in february 2017, but I guess with the increasing production ramp your spot in line won't make such a big difference. Someone estimated that there're about 20.000 reservations in Germany.
My guess: early reservation holders like @Konstantinos Kostis may see their car sooner, maybe by 4Q18. I am hoping to have mine reserved in 10/16 by early- to mid-2Q19. With Feb17, you’re probably looking at mid-19... yet miracles have been known to happen! ;)

Marcumar

Country
Country
The next one:
http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/...kleiner-roadster-sollen-kommen-a-1178435.html

translated title: "Full-electric diversion"

And there is so much bias in the article. Looks like they didn't even watch the livestream.

Yes, Tesla needs some good news in this headline-driven economy, but it's preposterous to assume that they just unveiled the semi and roadster to deviate from the production delays of the Model 3.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The next one:
http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/...kleiner-roadster-sollen-kommen-a-1178435.html

translated title: "Full-electric diversion"

And there is so much bias in the article. Looks like they didn't even watch the livestream.
It sounds like most of the bias in that article is due to the quotes from "consulting firm Accenture", which I assume was obtained to provide some "balance". The rest of the article actually seemed fairly positive (if Google Translate worked correctly for me ;)).

Marcumar

Country
Country
It sounds like most of the bias in that article is due to the quotes from "consulting firm Accenture", which I assume was obtained to provide some "balance". The rest of the article actually seemed fairly positive (if Google Translate worked correctly for me ;)).
Yeah, you're right. Accenture was responsible for most of the contents, but asking one consulting firm doesn't help to balance an article.

And they released another editorial:

Headline: "Mit Vollgas in die Vergangenheit" (="With full throttle back in time")

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrkult...e-faulen-traeume-von-elon-musk-a-1131886.html

He argues, that Tesla should focus on sustainable cars instead of supercars with 2sec acceleration. No mention of Model 3 (that will have a bigger impact with its produced numbers alone) in the whole article or a hint at the rest of the industry, which is even more focussed on horse power and bigger cars. And of course he quotes this one swedish study.

Last edited:

Marcumar

Country
Country
Let's not forget how much conventional car makers and the oil industry pay for ads in magazines and papers.
Just neutrally reporting on something will never get as many clicks/readers as a crtitical article with some click-bait headline.
Jep, just last day I got an advert for new Audi A8 that filled out the whole centre of the page, where you usually would see the headlines.

Marcumar

Country
Country

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think they were to lazy to do the math and stole the numbers on this page:
https://www.model3.info/de/tesla-model-3-preis

The price for the LR-PUP-19"-nonblack is estimated there as exact 54361€ - that can't be a coincidence.
Odd.... They got the US price right, but the price I get for building a Model S on the Tesla site for "Other Europe" is 71100 EUR, not 82070 EUR. Their numbers freaked me out for a minute, thinking, "Wait a minute, am I that far off on Tesla's "Europe Premium" in my calculations?". But then I built for Germany specifically, and add the comfort package, it says EUR 82180 - including VAT and the 2000 EUR environmental bonus. So most that difference is VAT.

(EVs are VAT-exempt where I am :) )

Last edited: