Has the Roadster been delayed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So.....the Model 3 plus has been moved to over a year from now.

I'm sure that the roadster development is going to come after the Model S plus is complete.

I would have hoped Tesla could work on more than one development at a time, but....."O well" .

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Remember, Elon said they plan on having a driveable release candidate around the end of this summer which would put production around 6 months or so behind that. Development is largely finished, what’s holding things is up really the battery not the drivetrain

Last edited:

serpico007

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It's all getting delayed. Don't all these vehicles, the Plaid+ S, Cybertruck and Roadster use the new battery technology? These will be built in Texas most likely at the start from what I read. Tesla probably knows they can't produce all of them this year, so next is more likely.

We can't even get a second 🔥 from that Xmas update or v11, so I'm thinking everyone is overworked at Tesla.

Reactions: GDN

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's all getting delayed. Don't all these vehicles, the Plaid+ S, Cybertruck and Roadster use the new battery technology? These will be built in Texas most likely at the start from what I read. Tesla probably knows they can't produce all of them this year, so next is more likely.

We can't even get a second 🔥 from that Xmas update or v11, so I'm thinking everyone is overworked at Tesla.

Link?

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Batteries appear to be the production limiting resource. Happily, Tesla has a credible plan to make batteries for vehicles more efficiently than anyone else. They also are not tied to any one chemistry which gives them flexibility to adjust to meet current realities. The 'honorable competition' has often been less flexible.

Bob Wilson

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Batteries appear to be the production limiting resource. Happily, Tesla has a credible plan to make batteries for vehicles more efficiently than anyone else. They also are not tied to any one chemistry which gives them flexibility to adjust to meet current realities.

Bob Wilson
Where is the link stating the issue delaying the roadster?

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Let’s not forget Panasonic has been brought on board to make 4680 cells in addition to Tesla making their own. Scaling production seems to be the issue, Berlin and Austin may not be fully ready in phase 1 to make them. Fremont is still a pilot plant making cells but how many have they and continue to make and stockpile?

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ya. One of my first thoughts coming out of battery day was they are entering in production hell. They had very low yields, were iterating and scaling, and orders on the books. Who knows where they are at with getting those batteries out the door but it seemed like it could be a schedule risk for some of the cars and trucks depending on them. They would probably rather wait for the new batteries than try to put the old ones in the roadster and they need to get them in other models first.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm looking at the 4680 cell production, currently a small scale production at Fremont. For a specific reference:
These articles imply a battery problem. Reading between the lines, I'm seeing batteries as the critical resource.

Bob Wilson

I don't see this as a roadster issue.

The profit margin on the roadster is going to be huge....just like the Model S in the beginning.

I see the opposite.

If you only have a few batteries.....get the most you can ( profits ) out of them.

If you haven't heard specifically about the roadster....then don't assume and start false rumors.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. Spacely

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you haven't heard specifically about the roadster....then don't assume and start false rumors.
You're literally doing the same by posting this thread.
The profit margin on the roadster is going to be huge....just like the Model S in the beginning.

I see the opposite.

If you only have a few batteries.....get the most you can ( profits ) out of them.
You literally said in your first post that you think the Roadster will come after the Model S Plaid +.

Reactions: Needsdecaf and FRC

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not in the Roadster nor Plaid market. Technically I'm more interested in the battery supply lines.

Given the improved performance of the 4680, I see a significant resource and cost savings. Meanwhile, the honorable competition continues to design 'sack of potatoes' battery packs. Recently, InSideEVs coined the phrase 'load them with batteries' as a design heuristic that does not optimize EV designs versus wasteful battery practices.

Bob Wilson

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I see the opposite.

Elon De Beers cry’s battery shortage every time they don’t have a product ready. But somehow they still make a half a million model threes a year and open up factories all around the world and somehow supply them without batteries. If this was really an issue they could easily come up with a standard range model three that you could add a battery pack to later on to get the full range. This is not a big engineer in feet and they only don’t do it as a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money on the more batteries. Unlike the model S the Tesla roadster will show an early loss due to all the ones they gave away. Unless the Board of Directors decide Elon was only kidding and changes that program. I mean they do have FSD beta out, But I can’t have a cause I’m not one of those safe drivers. They had no trouble taking my money almost 3 years ago for it and did not ask my driving record and how safe I was. Don’t worry I’m not excited about the beta button. It’s just more vapor to keep the wolves away

But we all know the real profit from the roadster will be the $9.99 a month premium sound subscription.

Elon Electrify Cuba!

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Elon De Beers cry’s battery shortage every time they don’t have a product ready. But somehow they still make a half a million model threes a year and open up factories all around the world and somehow supply them without batteries. If this was really an issue they could easily come up with a standard range model three that you could add a battery pack to later on to get the full range. This is not a big engineer in feet and they only don’t do it as a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money on the more batteries. Unlike the model S the Tesla roadster will show an early loss due to all the ones they gave away. Unless the Board of Directors decide Elon was only kidding and changes that program. I mean they do have FSD beta out, But I can’t have a cause I’m not one of those safe drivers. They had no trouble taking my money almost 3 years ago for it and did not ask my driving record and how safe I was. Don’t worry I’m not excited about the beta button. It’s just more vapor to keep the wolves away

But we all know the real profit from the roadster will be the $9.99 a month premium sound subscription.

Elon Electrify Cuba!

Yeah....excellent point about battery manufacturing.

They are crying battery shortage while doubling sales year over year? hmmmmm - something fishy going on.

Doesn't that mean that batteries have to be made twice as fast?......well no, because they have 2 factories now. in 2 different countries - soon to be 3...but I digress.

Texas is going to be interesting because that will be the first factory to double in a country. - right. They are going to have to double and triple the US battery supply somehow.

I wonder if Tesla already has a cell count promise in the contracts with their suppliers.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Texas is going to be interesting because that will be the first factory to double in a country. - right. They are going to have to double and triple the US battery supply somehow.
The Texas factory will be manufacturing cells as well as vehicles.

Reactions: TrevP

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve taken another one of Elon hints and twisted it as usual. When he was referring to the vehicles being virtually EV submersibles, I thought he was referring to future cybertruck functionality. I have now convinced myself this is for the roadster. I could not see what the fart thrusters would really do, other than for drag racing and trying to break the two second barrier. Where they could be extremely useful is underwater. Just 2 doors on the roadster would be easier to make waterproof, not just for going through deep puddles but for heading down the boat ramp. I’ve been trying to figure out how the roadster could really do to provide separation from other electric supercars, if you can’t make it fly for long distances, let’s go underwater. Of course It will have a floatable bobber transmitter receiver tethered to the vehicle to warn other boats and provide underwater navigation and full self driving. Instead of the track I would start looking for roadster starfish off San Diego. The tank should be able to supply four hours of oxygen while submerged between surface breaths, And hopefully recharge the tanks within 15 minutes of surfacing. With the super HEPA filter it would be a great place to hide during forest fires etc.

We Also need a Tesla car wash

I’m sure states like Vermont or pass a law that you must wash your car before entering the lake. This brings me to the next obvious question, probably only to me, why hasn’t tesla gotten into the car wash game. It fits all their criteria I’ve been able to recycle the water and maintain their fleet. More importantly to see a robot controlled system wash your car precisely because it knows your car and can visualize your car Would be a huge calling card at supercharger stations.

8F721E20-AA7B-49D9-BC92-A08EDC2A075F.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.