has anyone tinted only the rear half of the back window?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
I've read through the tinting mistake thread, and I wanted to ask if anyone who's tinted ONLY the rear half/bottom half of the rear window could post some photos from the inside. I think both here and on TMC I've seen maybe 2 or 3 photos of it only...

I want to keep the front and back passenger pano roofs the same factory tint, so I only want to tint the bottom half of the rear window. But then I was wondering how obvious the line would be...

Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've read through the tinting mistake thread, and I wanted to ask if anyone who's tinted ONLY the rear half/bottom half of the rear window could post some photos from the inside. I think both here and on TMC I've seen maybe 2 or 3 photos of it only...

I want to keep the front and back passenger pano roofs the same factory tint, so I only want to tint the bottom half of the rear window. But then I was wondering how obvious the line would be...

Thanks!
That first post in my thread that you linked is the picture that shows it. Tinting half the rear window looks very awkward. From the outside you essentially can't notice it. From the driving position you more or less do not notice it based on how you position the rear view.

All of that said, it drove me nuts and I had to have it ripped out ASAP!

Country
Country
Hmm, I see! I was wondering if anyone only tinted the rear window only up to the beginning of the gradient. A line would still be visible, I bet, but it wouldn't have the light-dark-light configuration that I agree would drive me nuts too. meaning about 6 inches shy of where you had yours, @SoFlaModel3 .

Anyone got any half-rear window tints to show off?

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmm, I see! I was wondering if anyone only tinted the rear window only up to the beginning of the gradient. A line would still be visible, I bet, but it wouldn't have the light-dark-light configuration that I agree would drive me nuts too. meaning about 6 inches shy of where you had yours, @SoFlaModel3 .

Anyone got any half-rear window tints to show off?
Ahh I see what you’re saying. I’m not sure if we’ve seen anyone do that. Going lower means you’re more likely see it in the rear view and it may look a pinch better but then ultimately be more noticeable.

The beginning of the gradient is fairly light and your tint would most likely be darker so you’re still going to see a strange effect of dark to light fading to dark.

Curious to see if anyone has done it...

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I did that accidentally on one of my first cars with a wal-mart grade tinting kit; it advised slicing the tint sheet for easier install.

First half went in flawlessly (top half)...then when I went to wet the bottom one instead of using the soap slip solution bottle on my lap, I reached over and blindly used windex all over the sheet...destroying the adhesive immediately. That piece was a throw-away and the top piece had already dried...I stick with 1/2 tint for a long time...it was ugly and pretty terrible.

plankeye

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No pic at the moment, but I had half of mine done and I don't ever think about it. They did it high enough up such that you don't see it in the rearview mirror at all. To me it's a non-issue.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had my entire rear window tinted in one piece. It didn't make the top part any darker as I didn't go darker than areas original tint. I highly recommend getting a good installer and quality film to have it done right.