Has anyone "clear tint" their windshield?

Cid

Country
Country
Hello everyone, first post here.

Has anyone lightly tinted or "clear tint" their windshield? I have a GTI that I had a shop do a clear tint on the front and it cut down heat and UV very significantly. I'm thinking about doing it to my 3 when it comes.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Has anyone lightly tinted or "clear tint" their windshield? I have a GTI that I had a shop do a clear tint on the front and it cut down heat and UV very significantly. I'm thinking about doing it to my 3 when it comes.
I took a pass on this as it’s illegal in the state of Florida.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had it done a couple of days ago with LLumar CTX. It's been cloudy/smokey since so I haven't really gotten a feel for the efficacy of it yet. Will let you know in a few days.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
there are multiple posts talking about doing this, AND warning that installers have water dripping down behind the dash and damaging electronics. SO if you do end up doing this, warn your installer to not let water drip behind the dash, or they will be purchasing new parts.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had mine done in 3M Crystalline when the other windows were done. Well worth the money here in AZ, I rarely use the sunshade now.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did the front windshield in Llumar CTX 50%. 20% all side and rear windows. I think it's perfect. I was worried it would be too dark from inside or at night, but have not had any problems seeing out at night. Definitely looks dark from outside and in the sun. Haven't had to use the visor as much with the front tinted. Mine is the pearl white. Parents on the left got 50% front windshield as well.
img_6421-jpg.13722

boriszima

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

I did llumar 80% AIR on the front with a 5% strip on top. It is hard to tell from outside it is tinted, which is what i was going for, just to deflect some had, as long as there was high enough TSER

Did the front windshield in Llumar CTX 50%. 20% all side and rear windows. I think it's perfect. I was worried it would be too dark from inside or at night, but have not had any problems seeing out at night. Definitely looks dark from outside and in the sun. Haven't had to use the visor as much with the front tinted. Mine is the pearl white. Parents on the left got 50% front windshield as well. View attachment 13722
wow, that looks very nice. What is your plan if you get stops by cops, as i am also in Cali and its illegal... but damn looks good. I also opted for a strip on top, helps with glare and sun so much

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did llumar 80% AIR on the front with a 5% strip on top. It is hard to tell from outside it is tinted, which is what i was going for, just to deflect some had, as long as there was high enough TSER

wow, that looks very nice. What is your plan if you get stops by cops, as i am also in Cali and its illegal... but damn looks good. I also opted for a strip on top, helps with glare and sun so much
I've had tint on my tahoe for the last 15 years and I've only been stopped and ticketed once, and that was because my car looked suspicious driving through Oakland (no profiling here). It was a simple fix it ticket.

But even if I do get stopped it wont be for the windshield tint. Most of the time, cops will stop you from behind or if you pass by them and they notice the front window tint. I doubt that they would even think to look at the front or even notice it. They're only concerned with the driver side and passenger side front windows. But again, it's a fix it ticket and the shop that did it charges $25 per window when they take it off and put it back on after your fix it ticket is signed. It's so prevalent here around the Bay Area and silicon valley that unless you're speeding, the cops won't bother with the tint. So I'll take my chances...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did Spectra Photosync 75 on the windshield. Can't really tell it's tinted but that's kind of the idea.