Hardware 3 retrofit has begun!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Has your car been retrofitted to the FSD HW3 computer?

• Total voters

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my opinion if you're sitting on a shipment of parts and you have customers that show a high level of interest, just give it to them first. They make your life easier. You don't have to make outbound calls/texts until you get through the group that wants it really bad. The time they spend canceling appointments is counter productive.
or send us an email.... with a date or just reply to our responses after you send your too bad so sad message to spend the extra 10 seconds from your copy and pasted response.

As far as the hardware being synced it's not by VIN the advisor I'm cool with here says they have a part number they take that out of my car's system, then they sync it with the mothership and attach that part to the VIN (edit I assume the VIN has a profile of some sorts with all the part numbers). This has happened for my steering wheel stock that was splitting as well as my 1st run charge port (they said they are on the 5th revision) still pretty awesome considering a legacy automaker would have been on their second revision at best!

Last edited:

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my opinion if you're sitting on a shipment of parts and you have customers that show a high level of interest, just give it to them first. They make your life easier. You don't have to make outbound calls/texts until you get through the group that wants it really bad. The time they spend canceling appointments is counter productive.
or send us an email.... with a date or just reply to our responses after you send your too bad so sad message to spend the extra 10 seconds from your copy and pasted response.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Sort of. Those of us who didn't spring for FSD but bought before everyone had HW3 won't get the upgrade in the current upgrade cycle at all.

That will create a really weird situation: the vast majority of M3's will soon have HW3, whether or not they have FSD, but not all. I don't think Tesla will like that, particularly if it starts to become clear that AP on HW3 is significantly safer than on HW2.5. I fully expect that down the line Tesla will provide the option for HW2.5 cars without FSD to upgrade to HW3 for a reasonable price, like they've said they're going to do soon with MCU1 to MCU2.
I don’t think that HW3 will ever be offered as an upgrade separate from FSD purchase. There are plenty of pre-AP, AP 1 and AP 2.0 cars out there, for which Tesla has never offered a stand-alone upgrade to the latest AP hardware, no matter how much better/safer it may be. To have some model 3’s sitting back at HW2.5 isn’t really a weird situation in light of the many different configurations that Tesla is already managing the software differences for. As an aside, I also think the updates to non-FSD cars will slow to a trickle soon.

Your reference to MCU1/MCU2 is something totally different. It is the computer than runs the screen.... and while Elon has said it is possible, no SC has ever said that it can be done. There are those who are actively pursuing this and many of us who would quickly pay for that change to our pre-April 2018 S/X’s. However, I am not necessarily expecting any “reasonable” price; if it does become available, I expect it will be an “ouch” price. 😏

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Your reference to MCU1/MCU2 is something totally different. It is the computer than runs the screen.... and while Elon has said it is possible, no SC has ever said that it can be done. There are those who are actively pursuing this and many of us who would quickly pay for that change to our pre-April 2018 S/X’s. However, I am not necessarily expecting any “reasonable” price; if it does become available, I expect it will be an “ouch” price.
some guy on youtube did it himself for 5500$ so I suspect it will be that or more..

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don’t think that HW3 will ever be offered as an upgrade separate from FSD purchase. There are plenty of pre-AP, AP 1 and AP 2.0 cars out there, for which Tesla has never offered a stand-alone upgrade to the latest AP hardware, no matter how much better/safer it may be. To have some model 3’s sitting back at HW2.5 isn’t really a weird situation in light of the many different configurations that Tesla is already managing the software differences for. As an aside, I also think the updates to non-FSD cars will slow to a trickle soon.

Your reference to MCU1/MCU2 is something totally different. It is the computer than runs the screen.... and while Elon has said it is possible, no SC has ever said that it can be done. There are those who are actively pursuing this and many of us who would quickly pay for that change to our pre-April 2018 S/X’s. However, I am not necessarily expecting any “reasonable” price; if it does become available, I expect it will be an “ouch” price. 😏
I get what you're saying, and I know I'm in the minority on these predictions. But here's how I see it playing out:

1. FSD gets the ability to stop for red lights while on NOA, and start back up when the light turns green.

2. AP on HW3 gains an "emergency stop for red" feature--if AP notices a driver hasn't disengaged and is about to run a red light, it disengages, issues a warning tone, and applies the brakes. Even when not on AP at all, it issues the warning tone and tries to brake if its really convinced you're about to run a light. This would follow the pattern of previous safety features such as ELDA.

3. But HW2.5 can't do that. There are subsequently a couple of different cases of accidents caused by AP in HW2.5 running red lights. Tesla claims it's driver error, because AP was never advertised as stopping for red lights--that's FSD, not AP. But AP is allowed to operate on streets with traffic lights (as is now the case), and under my scenario for some cars (those with HW3) it does stop for red lights.

4. That's, at a minimum, a PR nightmare, and perhaps an NTSB one as well. "Tesla on Autopilot runs red light, causes fatal accident" is very bad for the rest of the brand, to put it mildly, once the majority of the cars are stopping for red lights while on AP.

Tesla has a couple of alternatives to what I've suggested. At some point, it could nerf AP for non-supported uses, so that it can no longer be used off of divided highways. That's certainly possible, and maybe that's the way they'll go. They could choose not to extend additional active safety features to AP, regardless of HW2.5 or HW3. They could decide to just accept HW2.5 having different safety features. But pretty much those are the choices, right? And none of them are great. Encouraging HW2.5 to pay for a HW3 upgrade seems like a least-bad way for Tesla to deal with part of the issue. It doesn't solve all the problems, because some people won't choose to pay for even an at-cost (counting installation) upgrade. But at least it would address a chunk of the issue.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Speaking just to Model 3 (since that's what I own), the process is going to be the same whether the VIN is low or high. Also, only those with FSD equipped get HW3 so those with Nothing/AP/EAP will not get this unless they make it available for out of pocket purchase later (probably not worth that spend without the FSD software anyway).
So, there have been post here and TMC from early VIN M3 owners who've said that the service centers informed them that early VIN don't have the same plug and play interface for the main hardware computer/cpu/logic board, whatever it is. Therefore, the install piece at least of the HW3 for these vehicles takes longer. Are you saying that is totally incorrect and false?

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don’t think that HW3 will ever be offered as an upgrade separate from FSD purchase.
There does have to be a reason for offering it which doesn't exist right now. If there was a reason it would be very easy for them to offer it. They just have to set the price and add it to the website. One reason could be if basic AP got significantly better on HW3 vs HW2.5. I hope this doesn't happen because Elon said there was no reason to wait for HW3. The other possibility would be a restructuring of AP features. If they got FSD working and wanted to raise the price they could make a new middle package that offers the parking and NOA etc. Maybe HW4 will be out by then and then the dynamics will again be different. Hard to predict but you're probably right.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, there have been post here and TMC from early VIN M3 owners who've said that the service centers informed them that early VIN don't have the same plug and play interface for the main hardware computer/cpu/logic board, whatever it is. Therefore, the install piece at least of the HW3 for these vehicles takes longer. Are you saying that is totally incorrect and false?
can you link these? first I've heard of this.

There does have to be a reason for offering it which doesn't exist right now. If there was a reason it would be very easy for them to offer it. They just have to set the price and add it to the website. One reason could be if basic AP got significantly better on HW3 vs HW2.5. I hope this doesn't happen because Elon said there was no reason to wait for HW3. The other possibility would be a restructuring of AP features. If they got FSD working and wanted to raise the price they could make a new middle package that offers the parking and NOA etc. Maybe HW4 will be out by then and then the dynamics will again be different. Hard to predict but you're probably right.
I always wondered if a v3 is enough for FSD. I wonder if we do all this work for V3 then it doesnt deliver and we have to wait for v4. You know when they contact us :)

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I always wondered if a v3 is enough for FSD. I wonder if we do all this work for V3 then it doesnt deliver and we have to wait for v4. You know when they contact us :)
It depends on what you mean by FSD.

If you mean features that are only given to people who paid for FSD, I'd say the answer will definitely be yes. How far those features go will be a bit up in the air, but the current visualizations suggest it should be able to handle at least L2 in city driving, including stopping for red lights and stop signs on its own, starting back up when the light turns green, etc..

If you mean L5 (robotaxis) the answer is definitely no. The current hardware suite will never be L5, because it can't self-clean obstructions from the sensors in yucky weather/conditions.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
ahh so l5 will never be achieved so is an upgrade coming?
A full self-driving to me means my car comes and gets me from the airport. Does Tesla not have the same response?

Last edited:

nonStopSwagger

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
ahh so l5 will never be achieved so is an upgrade coming?
A full self-driving to me means my car comes and gets me from the airport. Does Tesla not have the same response?
Tesla's definition of full self driving, is most likely level 2.5 driving. It will drive by itself some of the time, so long as you have a hand on the wheel and it's not raining or the cameras are obscured/blinded by sunlight, snow etc.

They should rename it from FSD to PSD

Awesome? Yes. Lives up to its name? No.

Last edited:

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
ahh, see I always assumed it would do point a to b I guess that's going to create other problems.

Ksb466

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why would you feel that bad? It literally takes them 1 minute to look up your VIN, check for the bulletin, and then respond to your appointment. You don't think they actually type out those responses every time, do you??
Not feeling bad, but also don’t feel the need to take a minute of their time so I can see recreations of cones and garbage cans. When fsd does something meaningful I’ll prod them. For now, I’m content to wait in my place in line, and let them use that minute to help a needy customer.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not feeling bad, but also don’t feel the need to take a minute of their time so I can see recreations of cones and garbage cans. When fsd does something meaningful I’ll prod them. For now, I’m content to wait in my place in line, and let them use that minute to help a needy customer.
Somebody do the math for me please. 1 minute times 350,000 owners, that's not much...is it?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I put a request through the app yesterday, and got a phone call today saying what we all know, that it cannot be done by the Mobile Service, but that the good news was that my VIN was ready for the upgrade, I got a service Center appointment for 2/11

VIN: 75XXX and in the Bay Area