Hardware 3 retrofit has begun!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Has your car been retrofitted to the FSD HW3 computer?

• Total voters

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems unfair to Tesla, and to many on this forum wishing for improved service levels, to submit SC requests for HW3 at this time. It’ll needlessly bog them down. I might feel differently after driving features are released, but for now leave them to resolve true customer issues.
I disagree, I was 3rd in line at my location, I paid more than people did 6 months down the road, a simple email or ANY communication that says we will reach out to you when available is fine, they didn't do that. They could ramp up service too its been an issue since June of 2018 so again I dont agree. Give me an eta even if its December some sort of communication I am tired of giving tesla the skin off my back when they won't respond.
The two times they said to me they were going to reach out they never did. I always waited for 60+ days before I did.

Edit has anyone who has got it actually been reached out by tesla? if so I really find it hard to believe from what I've read about the last 2 weeks of these.

Last edited:

GeoJohn23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I agree that it seems rude (and unlikely to help Tesla be better at customer communication and timeliness) to be bugging Tesla service for the upgrade, they've done this to themselves in my opinion.

When I purchased my Perf Model 3, they said they'd reach out when the spoiler and badge were available -- took delivery last day of Sept 2018 and waited and waited for spoiler and badge.... every few months if I was at the SC for some other reason, or had to schedule some other service, I'd ask about the spoiler and badge and each time they said "not yet, we'll reach out to you when they are available". About a month ago, I had someone back into me in the parking lot hard enough to damage my rear bumper and so I again mentioned about the badge and spoiler status -- and they said, "oh sure, we have plenty of those in stock we can put them on when we replace your bumper". My response was "Great, but why then has no one reached out to me before this?" -- their response "Oh, we changed our policy several months ago and are not trying to contact folks, we are now waiting for people to request it".

So.... given this, and that Elon did say they would do the FSD installs "In Q1" which we are now 4 weeks in to, and that appointments are usually a few weeks out (which would make it mid-Q1), and that others on here have said they have had success getting FSD installed recently when requested with other service, I decided to go ahead and make an appointment through the app earlier this week for just the FSD upgrade (my VIN is 083xxx) for the earliest mobile appointment (app only allows mobile appointments for my address) which was a couple weeks out. Received a call yesterday from Tesla Mobile that FSD HW can't be done via Mobile, so they needed to move the service to the SC which was scheduling out in mid-to-late Feb; but, they had a couple of cancelations next week and they could schedule me into one of those. I said sure. Moments ago, I received a call from the SC confirming my appointment for Tues and letting me know that the FSD install can be up to a 2-day affair so they will be offering me either a loaner car, if they have any at that time, or UBER credits if they do not.

So..... unfortunately, my recommendation is now strongly in favor that folks should request the FSD computer rather than waiting for Tesla to reach out to them...

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried to make an appointment I'm going to keep trying every month or so I feel duped that no one reached out.
I'm in West Palm Beach...

Booked a SC appointment for 1/29...

I have requested new front tires.... an AC issue repair.... New wipers.... and the HW3 retrofit....

Haven't heard from them yet.... So, we shall see... I do have a RWD LR with a VIN in the 25000.

My question is has anyone in FLA got this and what range of VIN number do they have?

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny. We will literally be the last folks on the planet to get the upgrade. HW3 came out just after our cars were produced...
Sort of. Those of us who didn't spring for FSD but bought before everyone had HW3 won't get the upgrade in the current upgrade cycle at all.

That will create a really weird situation: the vast majority of M3's will soon have HW3, whether or not they have FSD, but not all. I don't think Tesla will like that, particularly if it starts to become clear that AP on HW3 is significantly safer than on HW2.5. I fully expect that down the line Tesla will provide the option for HW2.5 cars without FSD to upgrade to HW3 for a reasonable price, like they've said they're going to do soon with MCU1 to MCU2.

SkipperOFMO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems unfair to Tesla, and to many on this forum wishing for improved service levels, to submit SC requests for HW3 at this time. It’ll needlessly bog them down. I might feel differently after driving features are released, but for now leave them to resolve true customer issues.
Sorry but I don't feel sorry for Tesla at all. They were the ones who took your money and strung you along this whole time. Now you say it's unfair to them???

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry but I don't feel sorry for Tesla at all. They were the ones who took your money and strung you along this whole time. Now you say it's unfair to them???
Wow, someones bitter. Maybe you'd do better with a different car company my friend if you honestly feel like Tesla has been dishonest or "strung you along". I'm sure that something just as good will be coming around the corner any time now. ;)

Leggers

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Out of the blue SC called me today to request I bring in my car for my upgrade. I had almost been hoping that I would be one of the latter ones so they could work all the bugs out. I never go to the SC and certainly haven’t bugged them to get on a list. I even asked if the could put on my Dual Motor badge as it was delivered without back in Sept 2018. It will not get done for a couple of weeks so hopefully they will do a couple more by then. I don’t know where we figure on the Tesla popularity pole outside California but I do see a lot around town, so maybe they got a big batch.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Leggers nice maybe I need to move to st Louis my SC has never called me without initiating this is awesome news!
@FRC I hear you but at the same time maybe I believe musk when he said this would be done q1, I just know how the delivery of my car, in the beginning, got delayed over a month. I also ordered floor mats from them, forgot about them completely a few months later they showed up. I reached out 2-3 times to the online store I didn't even get an automatic reply.

Last edited:

Sjohnson20

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it a problem that I block unknown callers?
I block them too but in my experience Tesla always leaves a voice mail. Sometimes they also send a text message and email.

I’m just going to wait for a couple months and if no one contacts then I will try an appointment for something else and see if the upgrade is ready. I want them to work the upgrade bugs out first anyways.

Looks like the upgrades are ramping up this past week.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in West Palm Beach...

Booked a SC appointment for 1/29...

I have requested new front tires.... an AC issue repair.... New wipers.... and the HW3 retrofit....

Haven't heard from them yet.... So, we shall see... I do have a RWD LR with a VIN in the 25000.

My question is has anyone in FLA got this and what range of VIN number do they have?
@Chris350 the 3 that @SoFlaModel3 and I saw on twitter were all in tampa I believe..
also, mine confirmed they are doing it it's just not available for my vin.
I can now confirm that Tesla Dania has received HW3 for Model 3’s but despite my low VIN (005950), it’s not available for me and my appointment was canceled (again). It’s getting pretty frustrating.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can now confirm that Tesla Dania has received HW3 for Model 3’s but despite my low VIN (005950), it’s not available for me and my appointment was canceled (again). It’s getting pretty frustrating.
I’m in the same boat, even lower VIN, tried once SC said nope. Frustrating indeed.

TeslaTony310

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why would you feel that bad? It literally takes them 1 minute to look up your VIN, check for the bulletin, and then respond to your appointment. You don't think they actually type out those responses every time, do you??

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think for those focussing on VIN, I think one of the bigger issues may be that the local service center (where for now it seems the HW3 upgrades need to occur and especially for earlier models that don't have the same plug and play interface) may not all be equally trained up in the upgrade process, and it may not be as simple a process that a technical service bulletin and or install videos can accomplish. So, regardless of low VIN and EAP/FSD purchase, some of the centers just may not be ready.

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dropped my car off in So. Cal. for the retrofit and 2nd year service (was credited this for not fixing a factory bumper defect), they gave me an S75D loaner because they estimated would not have it ready until mid next week. They said it can take longer due to there having been issues syncing the new computer to the car. If there’s an issue they need to work with engineers in Fremont to get it all working right.

VIN 006xxx

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think for those focussing on VIN, I think one of the bigger issues may be that the local service center (where for now it seems the HW3 upgrades need to occur and especially for earlier models that don't have the same plug and play interface) may not all be equally trained up in the upgrade process, and it may not be as simple a process that a technical service bulletin and or install videos can accomplish. So, regardless of low VIN and EAP/FSD purchase, some of the centers just may not be ready.
Speaking just to Model 3 (since that's what I own), the process is going to be the same whether the VIN is low or high. Also, only those with FSD equipped get HW3 so those with Nothing/AP/EAP will not get this unless they make it available for out of pocket purchase later (probably not worth that spend without the FSD software anyway).

One could suggest "true customer issues" are when a customer has paid for a product and hasn't received it, but it's readily available.

I know with 100% certainty now that the HW3 computer arrives in batches in bulk. They are not preprogrammed for your car. They are generic. In the same way that if a computer fails, they can pull one from inventory and swap it out for you. The process is simply that your car has to be "eligible" and it becomes eligible by way of having the service bulletin. The service bulletin roll out seems to be completely random (much like how the software updates roll out).

In my opinion if you're sitting on a shipment of parts and you have customers that show a high level of interest, just give it to them first. They make your life easier. You don't have to make outbound calls/texts until you get through the group that wants it really bad. The time they spend canceling appointments is counter productive.