Hardware 3 retrofit has begun!

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I think this is exciting news. I do hope that they will have a priority list that, more or less, honors those who purchased FSD the earliest. With the report of a 2018 Model X being among the first, it's sounding like Tesla is doing this the "Tesla way" which often appears random and not honoring the earliest adopters.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
because Tesla is known for doing things in order / what is fair to early adopters?
Not sure I understand your question, but will try to respond.

I do believe Tesla has a problem in NOT doing things in a systematic order. Countless stories online and I have my own handful.

What would be fair? I am not starting a “that’s not fair” campaign, but as I said above, I think it would HONOR those who literally bought into FSD earliest to get the earliest hardware implementation. I can understand why that may need to flex some (e.g., roll out to different service centers, or different challenges in upgrading 2.0 vs 2.5) but I hope not to hear stories of lots of people who bought in 2019 getting it while many from much earlier still wait.

Just as you thanked someone recently for their purchase of an early model S (2012?) that is part of what made your model 3 possible, I too feel that way with early purchasers of both the cars and FSD. I would like to see them at the head of the line. Elon used to talk about honoring early customer loyalty, and this would be a nice time to see a piece of that.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In another thread I read where there was a rumor that the model 3 upgrades were troublesome from air leakage into the coolant lines, making it more difficult for rangers to perform the service. The fact that model 3's are not currently upgrading might support that. OR it could be that S & X are more expensive vehicles and they're getting first chance.

Too bad since I have a ranger visit scheduled for next week and getting my computer upgraded would be sweet. Might finally get my dual motor badge. (woo-hoo!)

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just heard from a Tesla service employee that there may be a larger push coming soon for retrofits, and that in some areas they may have "pop-up events" where multiple cars/technicians can work on cars. Pretty clever way to improve efficiency of mobile techs. Step from car to car. And a little community chit-chat as well.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let’s be real here. FSD isn’t happening for another year ... at a minimum. We got time for our upgrades.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Tesla way with something like this would be that Elon will put out a tweet like “btw, HW3 is necessary for enhanced summon to almost not suck” making people start chomping at the bit to get the upgrade. Realistically, I can imagine they might be working out the kinks right now, and could very well prioritize S & X upgrades due to costs, and then roll out to the Model 3 masses. Hopefully in maybe 6 months this starts rolling steadily. I like the notion of ‘upgrade day’ gathering type of thing.