Hardware 3 retrofit has begun!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Has your car been retrofitted to the FSD HW3 computer?

• Total voters

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I think this is exciting news. I do hope that they will have a priority list that, more or less, honors those who purchased FSD the earliest. With the report of a 2018 Model X being among the first, it's sounding like Tesla is doing this the "Tesla way" which often appears random and not honoring the earliest adopters.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
because Tesla is known for doing things in order / what is fair to early adopters?
Not sure I understand your question, but will try to respond.

I do believe Tesla has a problem in NOT doing things in a systematic order. Countless stories online and I have my own handful.

What would be fair? I am not starting a “that’s not fair” campaign, but as I said above, I think it would HONOR those who literally bought into FSD earliest to get the earliest hardware implementation. I can understand why that may need to flex some (e.g., roll out to different service centers, or different challenges in upgrading 2.0 vs 2.5) but I hope not to hear stories of lots of people who bought in 2019 getting it while many from much earlier still wait.

Just as you thanked someone recently for their purchase of an early model S (2012?) that is part of what made your model 3 possible, I too feel that way with early purchasers of both the cars and FSD. I would like to see them at the head of the line. Elon used to talk about honoring early customer loyalty, and this would be a nice time to see a piece of that.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In another thread I read where there was a rumor that the model 3 upgrades were troublesome from air leakage into the coolant lines, making it more difficult for rangers to perform the service. The fact that model 3's are not currently upgrading might support that. OR it could be that S & X are more expensive vehicles and they're getting first chance.

Too bad since I have a ranger visit scheduled for next week and getting my computer upgraded would be sweet. Might finally get my dual motor badge. (woo-hoo!)

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just heard from a Tesla service employee that there may be a larger push coming soon for retrofits, and that in some areas they may have "pop-up events" where multiple cars/technicians can work on cars. Pretty clever way to improve efficiency of mobile techs. Step from car to car. And a little community chit-chat as well.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Let’s be real here. FSD isn’t happening for another year ... at a minimum. We got time for our upgrades.

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The Tesla way with something like this would be that Elon will put out a tweet like “btw, HW3 is necessary for enhanced summon to almost not suck” making people start chomping at the bit to get the upgrade. Realistically, I can imagine they might be working out the kinks right now, and could very well prioritize S & X upgrades due to costs, and then roll out to the Model 3 masses. Hopefully in maybe 6 months this starts rolling steadily. I like the notion of ‘upgrade day’ gathering type of thing.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any progress being made on the HW3 Upgrades? I am still doubting if this will ever happen. Since they already have the hardware in production for six months now at least there must be some benefit to it even before FSD is completed. If they’re too busy to do it now I can’t imagine once the Y rolls out that this will still be a priority for them. But the biggest frustration is all we have is a tweet telling us they will supply this to us. It would also help anyone trying to sell their car to say is that they’ve had the computer upgraded already.

Hopefully some of you with influence can continue to put pressure on Tesla to not forget about this. If it’s going to be another year they could at least notify the customers in writing that qualify for this and give us a general feel for the timeframe. I’ve had my car for over a year and I’ve only received about three messages in my inbox on the app.I don’t believe one more notification would be too taxing on them. I can’t imagine many of us check the inbox on the app looking for new info since there’s been virtually none.

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Outside of a few reports of folks being upgraded while in for other service, things have been fairly quiet on the HW3 upgrade front. Not sure why that would lead you to believe that it’s not going to happen at all. By all accounts, they are sorting out how to best do the upgrades in an efficient manner and at a point where there is benefit for Tesla as well as the owner to justify the disruption. I’m not sure that there would be any discernible difference if I were to upgraded today vs say 1Q20 where perhaps more of the NN will be optimized for HW3.

The tech geek in me would absolutely love to get upgraded right now just so I can have the new shiny object, but realistically, it wouldn’t make any difference just yet. Definitely excited to see the improvements that it allows in the near future however.

Certainly Tesla’s communications haven’t always been top-notch, but if I recall correctly, there have been other, somewhat more official communications indicating the HW3 upgrades for existing FSD owners in things like the quarterly result calls. IANAL but I would suspect that if they were to try to completely reneg on the upgrades at some point, they’d have a massive loser of a lawsuit on their hands. If were modified to be HW4 upgrades, they could just kick the can down the road a bit.

Ultimately, I expect the upgrades to open up in Q1 or Q2 at the latest to get folks pushed to the new hardware and to allow them to get FSD ‘feature complete’.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am concerned because it has been very quiet. I believe they changed the definition of auto pilot and FSD. Also the fact that it had the caveat that if it would be replaced when it was needed or helpful. I am worried that we will just be notified that because the new software is so efficient we will be fine with the older computer hardware. Since this is probably a couple thousand dollar upgrade and they are trying to keep their profits going and they are focused on the new models I just hope someone at Tesla is concerned about us. All I was asking for was an email saying that I qualify for it and it will be scheduled when it makes sense. I don’t see a mass email to everyone that purchase for FSD is a difficult thing to do. I do expect top-notch communications from a top-notch company. Their communication has sucked it hasn’t even been close to top-notch. For it to be already be November and no status or policy update is concerning to me. Very few companies historically have chose doing the right thing at the cost of profits. Tesla is a different type of company but I’m still waiting for them to prove it, because I do not have faith.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There’s ZERO difference in the way vehicles with HW2.5 and ones with HW3 drive today. Until there’s a verifiable difference, we shouldn’t be overly concerned with getting HW3.

Personally, I don’t see the HW3 deployments occurring till late 2020.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There’s ZERO difference in the way vehicles with HW2.5 and ones with HW3 drive today. Until there’s a verifiable difference, we shouldn’t be overly concerned with getting HW3.

Personally, I don’t see the HW3 deployments occurring till late 2020.
What facts are you basing your zero difference on? Having that much more processing power makes zero difference? So you’re saying decisions aren’t made any faster not even at a fraction of a millisecond? You’re also saying at 80 miles an hour a millisecond doesn’t matter? Zero really?This is exactly why I don’t have faith. As faith is belief with the absence of evidence. I will stay a skeptic. I agree with your fourth quarter 2020. If it’s going to be that long as I think a lot of people believe even more reason why an email would be very comforting. the only reason I could see you for not putting the promise in writing is they don’t intend to follow through with it. But maybe they’re just too busy

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So you do raise a valid point regarding the costs of the HW3 retrofit. From Tesla’s perspective, suppose their cost of the FSD computer is ~ $1000/unit. If they were to start retrofitting cars right now, they would be essentially ‘losing’ $1000 plus labor costs times X number of cars that are eligible for the upgrade. If there is zero benefit currently for those owners to get the upgrade, plus there is the ’hassle‘ of scheduling the time etc which can annoy owners, plus there is risk of something going wrong - the guy doing the install scratches a seat, or accidentally breaks a connector, leading to further costs and annoyance. With all of the costs, that can amount to a real impact on their financials, perhaps turning the modest profit that they had in Q3 into a slight loss in Q4, where is the incentive for them to start upgrading in earnest?

If they were to wait until they have things ironed out, have software that actually takes advantage of HW3 so they can get headlines like ‘I just got upgraded to HW3 and now my car drives me to the grocery store while I sleep!’, the gains can outweigh the costs. Until that point, there isn’t a significant reason to start pushing things out.

oshw

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
They've held off realizing the income from FSD options owners had paid for. I would think the computer upgrade (knowing this was one of the things they provisioned for at the beginning) allows them to pull some more money from this reserve future income pool.

If they're already able to produce enough computers to match demand and service centers have periods of lower demand, why not start pushing upgrades as soon as you can?

Last quarter they pulled in some income due to advanced summon - similar milestones would help offset the continuous cost of developing FSD.