had tires rotated, now they squeal- why??

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I took Nik on a road trip, went 4500 miles (see here for the blog evtrip2018.blogspot.com). I had 2k miles on the car before i left. I scheduled a tire rotation for a few days after I got home since I was over the 6250 recommended rotation point. Ever since I got the car back one or both of the rear tires now squeal when I take off from stopped.

Is this something as simple as tire pressure or do I need to take it in? It never did this before the rotation. The pressure on all 4 tires is 44-45 psi according to the screen card. Please no sarcasm or trolls, I am legit asking b/c I am not a car person and have never had a performance car with take-off power before. I came from a Prius- I couldn't squeal those tires if I had tried. LOL

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might just give it some more time. Since the tires on the front wear differently than the ones on the rear, they might need some time to "seat in" now that they are on the rear. Until they do, there is probably slightly less tread actually contacting the road, allowing a slight amount of wheel spin on a hard launch. You might try to ease off on the launches for a while until they break back in in their new positions.

This is just one reason why I will probably try to rotate mine at 2500-3000 mile intervals, to keep them more evenly worn between rotations. You might try the same.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I rotated my tires at 6000, the fronts were cupped (feels different when the tread is rubbed forwards versus backwards) noticeably. I expected them to make noise, but it really wasn’t noticeable. Give your tires a feel and see if that’s what’s going on.

Will wear down eventually if so.

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
thanks guys, I will give it some time and see if it gets better. I really havent been doing launches on purpose, lol. well at least not more than a few times. :)

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On your 3? That shouldn't happen - it can happen if there is an issue with the dampers (shocks) or a belt defect..

https://www.utires.com/articles/back-tires-cupping/

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/what-is-tire-cupping

I'd wonder what Tesla would say about this.
I just took the tire guy's diagnosis at face value, but actually what it's called is "feathered wear," and it's from hard cornering, and it makes sense that it was in the front of the car.
So that checks out.
Sorry for the confusion.

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the squeal HAS gotten better now, it is almost gone (only notice it if I corner too fast) so probably it was the uneven wear issue you guys were talking about. Thanks for the suggestions, patience worked in this case. lol