Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there an option for power trunk (only) and no foot sensor? Or am I being too picky? Trying to justify the cost. And avoid the trunk going up while driving;)

Last edited:

chiapet15

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there an option for power trunk (only) and no foot sensor? Or am I being too picky? Trying to justify the cost. And avoid the trunk going up while driving;)
Omega is working on getting updated pricing for configurations of the trunk that don't include foot sensor. Aside from cost and the foot sensor being a "nice to have" feature, I'm most concerned that the control unit has no way of knowing the car is moving, and decides to open the trunk when some change in the concrete below the car makes it think a foot is present

Omega

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Omega is working on getting updated pricing for configurations of the trunk that don't include foot sensor. Aside from cost and the foot sensor being a "nice to have" feature, I'm most concerned that the control unit has no way of knowing the car is moving, and decides to open the trunk when some change in the concrete below the car makes it think a foot is present

I have the foot sensor answer from the company. They said that the foot sensor goes with the manual trunk from Tesla. At speed over 10mph, the trunk is locked and can't be opened manually by any mean (set by Tesla), except the emergency switch inside the trunk (in case of kidnapping). Below 10mph, I still can manually click the button at the license plate to open the trunk. I just tested it with my car yesterday. However, I can't test at higher speeds than 10mph because it's too dangerous for me to run with the car and open the trunk.

I discussed for an hour with the company to get the trunk without foot sensor option (try to convince them that there are many buyers who do not want the foot sensor to lower the price as much as possible). They eventually agree to give a discount price at $435 without the foot sensor. This is the lowest offer I could negotiate with them. I know it's not a lot, but at least we can still save a little more without the foot sensor.

They also take group installation package for Los Angeles and San Francisco buyers. They agree to do mobile installation for NYC and Miami owners twice per month. I'm working with them to get more installers in other states. Hope I will get everyone's local installers by tonight.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the foot sensor answer from the company. They said that the foot sensor goes with the manual trunk from Tesla. At speed over 10mph, the trunk is locked and can't be opened manually by any mean (set by Tesla), except the emergency switch inside the trunk (in case of kidnapping). Below 10mph, I still can manually click the button at the license plate to open the trunk. I just tested it with my car yesterday. However, I can't test at higher speeds than 10mph because it's too dangerous for me to run with the car and open the trunk.

I discussed for an hour with the company to get the trunk without foot sensor option (try to convince them that there are many buyers who do not want the foot sensor to lower the price as much as possible). They eventually agree to give a discount price at $435 without the foot sensor. This is the lowest offer I could negotiate with them. I know it's not a lot, but at least we can still save a little more without the foot sensor.

They also take group installation package for Los Angeles and San Francisco buyers. They agree to do mobile installation for NYC and Miami owners twice per month. I'm working with them to get more installers in other states. Hope I will get everyone's local installers by tonight.
Here's to hoping for a Chicago based installer :)

Country
Country
Thank you everyone for your super interest with this group purchase. So far, I got 10+ orders, so this group buy will go through.

I have question for this group buy. If we hit 20+ orders, I can ask for further discount (perhaps $25 each trunk/frunk). On the other hand, I don't want everyone to wait for too long. I plan to close the group purchase at the end of this Friday, so we can order this Saturday. Or, do you want to give an extra day to Sunday for getting more orders and hopefully get over 20+ orders?
How many orders have you now? will we able make orders tomorrow with better discount?

chiapet15

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Thanks for the clarification on the operation of the foot sensor. I believe that another factor is the install location of the sensor itself. Perhaps if it's mounted in a certain way, there will be less chances of the ground interfering with it? Did the company provide any installation guidance on minimizing the chances of the sensor being triggered when driving below <= 10mph?

Also, any guidance on about how much the installation will cost?

Thanks and I really appreciate all your help in coordinating everything!

Omega

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is it too late or count me in please - Just trunk
Haha no it's still okay. I will probably extend it one more day to Saturday. I will need your name, your email, and city + state (not full address, just location to help me look for a good installer in your area).

I negotiated with the company to convince them that there are mamy people who do not want the foot sensor, and they eventually agree to give a discount for trunk only at $435. That's the best I could do. In fact, if later you want to buy the foot sensor, just use i1Tesla discount code to get the sensor at $45, minus this $15 discount, so the sensor is actually not bad at $30. :)

Omega

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the clarification on the operation of the foot sensor. I believe that another factor is the install location of the sensor itself. Perhaps if it's mounted in a certain way, there will be less chances of the ground interfering with it? Did the company provide any installation guidance on minimizing the chances of the sensor being triggered when driving below <= 10mph?

Also, any guidance on about how much the installation will cost?

Thanks and I really appreciate all your help in coordinating everything!
I'm asking them if we can adjust the sensitivity of the foot sensor or not. That would be really awesome if we can do that, but I doubt it.

I will probably also ask them what the foot sensor actually detects. If there is a specific dimension of an object to activate it, that's good. However, if there is a specific distance between object and the sensor to activate the opening mechanic, that's pretty bad and may cause accidentally opening with big object (like a trash bag or a boot). I will update afterwards.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I feel that I need to mention that my purchase is contingent on a professional installer. The install video seems a bit too daunting for me to undertake on my own.

Kernal7

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm interested also. I guess I am too new to access the conversations/PM (member since Sep, 2018 but only posted 1 message).
Interested in the Power Trunk + Frunk + Foot Sensor. Located in Chicago area.