Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi Shareef777, here is the info.

Erik +1 (773) 203-3301

He is also a Model 3 owner. He installed this kit before us and is pretty experienced with the installation process now. However, since he is an individual, he may only be available during the weekend. You will need to give him a call to see which day he is available.
Hey, sorry, but must of missed this reply. Is Erik on this forum? Can I still reach out. I’m really interested in this kit for the frunk/trunk, but won’t be able to install this on my own.

Kernal7

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here’s a photo of the bag I found on another forum.

View attachment 32709
This looks very similar to an ice pack bag or a hot water bottle. I bet either of them would work. They are sealed on all sides except the input valve which can just be cut off as an opening to pass the controller into. Then just zip tie it closed (like in the pic above). I will buy one and try it and see how it works out. Might take a few days to get since a lot of things around me are closing because of COVID-19

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just a note on Hansshow: I was in the first group buy and had a problem with the unit. Hansshow agreed to me returning the unit for a refund, UPS delivered it, and then Hansshow claimed they had not received it despite there being a tracking number and delivery receipt to the contrary. I finally had to get AMEX involved to get my money back. Based on this experience, I would never do business with them again and most certainly will not recommend them...

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Still waiting for my trunk controller (and bags) to arrive. I was told they'd get me a tracking number when it ships and that shipment would be via Fedex so would take about a week. That was 8 days ago. I'm getting tired of not having a trunk anymore. Have to drop the back seat and crawl in the back every time I need to open it.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Still waiting for my trunk controller (and bags) to arrive. I was told they'd get me a tracking number when it ships and that shipment would be via Fedex so would take about a week. That was 8 days ago. I'm getting tired of not having a trunk anymore. Have to drop the back seat and crawl in the back every time I need to open it.
@Rick Steinwand,

Thanks Rick.....keep us updated. Did you install auto Frunk? Can you use the Frunk until? I know it’s not nearly as large but for smaller items to help you out?

Ski

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good exercise, No?
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

@Rick Steinwand,

Thanks Rick.....keep us updated. Did you install auto Frunk? Can you use the Frunk until? I know it’s not nearly as large but for smaller items to help you out?

Ski
The stuff I've been picking up lately (tire & wheel & large packages), need the back seat or trunk. Yes, I have it, but it doesn't latch, plus still needs to be wrapped in a bag.

Drhalo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Rick Steinwand,

Thanks for the update. This is the reason I did NOT run the strut wiring through the taillights. Actually one of two reasons. (#1) Being how horribly crimped/pinched the wiring in all the install and you tuber vids were/ie I felt it was an electrical hazard, and (#2) the water ingress issue even with a drip loop-didn’t like it.
So I ran the wiring from the control box on the left side of the trunk/inner wheel well and strut wiring along the rear bumper with a drip loop and through the side factory frame grommets/waterproof with drip loop and in through the trunk and the controller high on the wheel wheel arch.

Ski
Would you be able to provide pics on where you ran the wiring? I am having a tough time following. Also where did you tap 12V for the rear trunk opener? Seems crazy to have to drill the grommet through the firewall.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is from the HansShow video where you DON'T want to turn the wire:

1585344844233-png.32982

I've decided I need to drop the rear bumper to run that wire properly and can connect the foot sensor at the same time.

12v is easily tapped under the rear seat, right side. There's two little catches under the front edge to unlatch the seat.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For folks in the Atlanta, GA area that need an installer: I just had my kit installed by Jimmy Hunt, recommended by Hansshow. His number is 404-317-7362 . He did a great job!

I was hoping to tackle this install myself, but I think I've changed my mind. Are there any professional installers in the Atlanta area, or a fellow member that wants to help me? Thanks in Advance!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After two weeks of waiting for it to ship, it appears my replacement trunk controller (& two bags) will be here on 4/2. Shipped from DUBAI AE?

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, not unusual for us to get a day early. It doesn't take a day to go from one side of town to the other like your suburbs.

The controller condoms are a little sticky and it doesn't help that you have the power on one side and all the other wires on the other. If you end up with one of these, a little powder or some kind of safe lubricant would be nice, but it can be wiggled on without. I noticed the frunk controller potentially could interfere with the frunk bucket seating all the way down if it isn't far enough back, assuming you mount by the battery, like most of the instructions suggest.

Attachments

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Yeah, not unusual for us to get a day early. It doesn't take a day to go from one side of town to the other like your suburbs.

The controller condoms are a little sticky and it doesn't help that you have the power on one side and all the other wires on the other. If you end up with one of these, a little powder or some kind of safe lubricant would be nice, but it can be wiggled on without. I noticed the frunk controller potentially could interfere with the frunk bucket seating all the way down if it isn't far enough back, assuming you mount by the battery, like most of the instructions suggest.
@Rick Steinwand,

Thanks Rick! Still waiting for my bag. Did you get the new controller in and get your trunk operational again? Or was it the Frunk that got zapped?

Ski

Last edited:

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Trunk was zapped, but it's working again. Both are wrapped. Spent a bit more time trying to get the frunk to latch, but no go.

My frunk has never latched despite hours of readjusting things. It can't do that last 1/4 inch unless the frunk bucket is removed.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For folks in the Atlanta, GA area that need an installer: I just had my kit installed by Jimmy Hunt, recommended by Hansshow. His number is 404-317-7362 . He did a great job!
I had Trunk kit with foot sensor installed by Jimmy Hunt as well.
Highly recommend!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I didn't lose my warranty.

As a matter of fact, the Service Center in Westmont Illinois thought it was cool.
Did you install the kit yourself? I live in the Chicago area and have been waiting/looking for a professional installer. The task seems too daunting for me to take up alone.