Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!!!

Omega

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone,

I found this video from i1Tesla about the power liftgate for trunk and frunk for Model 3.

I'm aware of the Teslaoffer product. However, this product seems to be much better in price, simpler installation, features (can open/close from the screen besides app and fob), and does NOT require to splice the cord to tap the cable into, which is a reversible process if anyone makes mistake during installation.

I am able to contact with the company to set up a group buy. Please leave your reply or pm me your name and email, and city + state (not full address, just for them to look for a recommended installer shop close to you if possible).

They agree to ship the product separately as well to each buyer for free, so it is helpful to get cheaper price without double shipping. As long as we reach 10 orders and above, they will open this group buy one date only for our group purchase using a specific group code that expires within 24 hours. I will send you the instruction and the date they open the group buy for us once we reach enough orders. That's why I need your email to confirm the number of orders.

Discount for group buy:

Power Trunk + Foot Sensor
Original price: $550
Group price: $450

https://www.hautopart.com/product/tesla-model-3-automatic-frunk-and-trunk/

Power Frunk
Original price: $500
Group price: $425

Power Trunk + Frunk + Foot Sensor
Original price: $1050
Group price: $850

Please feel free to contact me for any question. I am also a Model 3 owner, and would like to buy this as a group for better discount. I am not affiliated with this company by any mean.

Cross posted with Tesla Motors Club forum.

Omega

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got pretty good amount of orders so far. I think we can make it this week to get to buy the kits on the weekend. Thanks, everyone. Again, please pm me with your name and email, so I can gather everyone info at once to send it to the company soon.

Omega

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you everyone for your super interest with this group purchase. So far, I got 10+ orders, so this group buy will go through.

I have question for this group buy. If we hit 20+ orders, I can ask for further discount (perhaps $25 each trunk/frunk). On the other hand, I don't want everyone to wait for too long. I plan to close the group purchase at the end of this Friday, so we can order this Saturday. Or, do you want to give an extra day to Sunday for getting more orders and hopefully get over 20+ orders?

chiapet15

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After watching the video linked by the OP from i1Tesla, I have a major concern that they connected the wires to the large plug which we then need to painstakingly feed through the rubber tube that houses all of the wires. At 11:32 in the video, i1Tesla mentions this large plug not fit into the tube . Given that the hardest and most time consuming part of installing these power trunk retrofit kits lies in running the wires through that rubber tube, having to shove that big connector through along with the wires will cost considerable time. Based on that, it's doubtful that this kit, as described in the video, will be easier to install than the one from teslaoffer.

I personally do not want to do what i1Tesla did/suggested in the video, which is to cut open that rubber tubing and wrap tape around it to close it back up. The moisture seal will be nowhere near the level of the OEM seal, especially as the adhesive of the tape degrades and starts letting in moisture; this will then travel along the wires and reach connectors, causing corrosion. This is definitely a path for introducing electrical gremlins (whom will be difficult to troubleshoot/evict) into the system.

However, that's not to say that the vendor of this kit can make some changes and leave that connector disconnected, so we can connect it (assuming proper and clear instructions are provided) to the wiring harness AFTER the wires are pulled through the rubber tubing. Can the OP confirm if the vendor of the kit can make this change? If not, I believe the Teslaoffer kit is still easier to install, and may be close to the same price at their next sale.

Last edited:

Omega

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After watching the video linked by the OP from i1Tesla, I have a major concern that they connected the wires to the large plug which we then need to painstakingly feed through the rubber tube that houses all of the wires. At 11:32 in the video, i1Tesla mentions this large plug not fit into the tube . Given that the hardest and most time consuming part of installing these power trunk retrofit kits lies in running the wires through that rubber tube, having to shove that big connector through along with the wires will cost considerable time. Based on that, it's doubtful that this kit, as described in the video, will be easier to install than the one from teslaoffer.

I personally do not want to do what i1Tesla did/suggested in the video, which is to cut open that rubber tubing and wrap tape around it to close it back up. The moisture seal will be nowhere near the level of the OEM seal, especially as the adhesive of the tape degrades and starts letting in moisture; this will then travel along the wires and reach connectors, causing corrosion. This is definitely a path for introducing electrical gremlins (whom will be difficult to troubleshoot/evict) into the system.

However, that's not to say that the vendor of this kit can make some changes and leave that connector disconnected, so we can connect it (assuming proper and clear instructions are provided) to the wiring harness AFTER the wires are pulled through the rubber tubing. Can the OP confirm if the vendor of the kit can make this change? If not, I believe the Teslaoffer kit is still easier to install, and may be close to the same price at their next sale.
They already changed the plug. Here is the response from them.

"We already changed the plug, it will be easy to pass the wire through the tube."

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to chime in and say that I must be notified before any “group buys” are conducted on the site.

I’ll let this one go because I have the same kit and was going to do something similar so next time please check with me first.
We generally prefer to vet such products as any negative experiences reflect badly on our community as it could come across as an endorsement.
Thanks

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I’m planning on removing the plug so it can be fed through the rubber conduit, not that hard but the seller informs me new kits won’t have the plug installed to make it easier.

Omega

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to chime in and say that I must be notified before any “group buys” are conducted on the site.

I’ll let this one go because I have the same kit and was going to do something similar so next time please check with me first.
We generally prefer to vet such products as any negative experiences reflect badly on our community as it could come across as an endorsement.
Thanks
Thank you so much. I did not know there is a rule for group buy. I will surely ask you next time. Thanks for letting this post going on. :)

chiapet15

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you Omega and TrevP for addressing my concern about the connector. It's great to know they have removed the connector so we can feed the wires through the rubber tubing more easily.

Regarding the foot sensor, I saw in one of the YouTube video comments (copied below for reference) that there was a report of the foot sensor being triggered while the car is moving, and that this is due to the unit not being connected to the CANbus, so the controller doesn't know if the car is moving. That user ended up disconnecting the foot sensor.

In the YouTube video, they demonstrate the trunk doesn't open via the touchscreen controls when the car is moving. However, since the foot sensor goes directly to the control unit, and bypasses any logic that is applied to the touchscreen control for the trunk, can you confirm with the seller if there are similar guards in place to prevent inadvertent foot sensor triggering while the car is moving?

If there is no way for the control unit to know the car is moving to avoid inadvertently triggering the foot sensor, then I wouldn't want to get the foot sensor, and would hope that there is pricing for power trunk + power frunk only (no foot sensor included).

rich1383yt
2 days ago
Yes, it does open when driving if you have the footwell sensor*, so I recommend that you *not get that (not smart enough to sense you are driving - I believe it is the footwell sensor seeing pavement changes it mistakes for foot swipes). Opened 3 times on me while driving, so I removed the fuse for the sensor to disable it.

Hide replies

Raj Balwani
2 days ago
rich1383yt this is what happens when you don’t tap the can. Other companies that tap the can bus does so to keep the safety in tact like not opening when I’m drive. My trunk stays shut shut with foot sensor

Last edited:

Omega

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you Omega and TrevP for addressing my concern about the connector. It's great to know they have removed the connector so we can feed the wires through the rubber tubing more easily.

Regarding the foot sensor, I saw in one of the YouTube video comments (copied below for reference) that there was a report of the foot sensor being triggered while the car is moving, and that this is due to the unit not being connected to the CANbus, so the controller doesn't know if the car is moving. That user ended up disconnecting the foot sensor.

In the YouTube video, they demonstrate the trunk doesn't open via the touchscreen controls when the car is moving. However, since the foot sensor goes directly to the control unit, and bypasses any logic that is applied to the touchscreen control for the trunk, can you confirm with the seller if there are similar guards in place to prevent inadvertent foot sensor triggering while the car is moving?

If there is no way for the control unit to know the car is moving to avoid inadvertently triggering the foot sensor, then I wouldn't want to get the foot sensor, and would hope that there is pricing for power trunk + power frunk only (no foot sensor included).

rich1383yt
2 days ago
Yes, it does open when driving if you have the footwell sensor*, so I recommend that you *not get that (not smart enough to sense you are driving - I believe it is the footwell sensor seeing pavement changes it mistakes for foot swipes). Opened 3 times on me while driving, so I removed the fuse for the sensor to disable it.

Hide replies

Raj Balwani
2 days ago
rich1383yt this is what happens when you don’t tap the can. Other companies that tap the can bus does so to keep the safety in tact like not opening when I’m drive. My trunk stays shut shut with foot sensor

Great info. If this is your concern, it's also my concern as well for my car. I will definitely contact them to see if they have any update version to eliminate this issue.