Greetings from Turkey

emir

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hey all, I'm Emir, founder of www.teslaturk.com Turkish community of Tesla and EVs. This is a big hello to our global, fluffy and accepting community of EV heads from Istanbul. Great to have a community like this in this day and age of politics..

Even though we are a non core market our community is 3+ years old and fairly big relative to the market. It started out as me deciding to write the only Turkish source (blog/news) for EVs back in 2014. Then as people lured in we started looking in ways to import etc. We have 60+ active Tesla owners in the community and 200+ Teslas in the country. We experienced a lot of difficulties over the years since closest service is in another customs zone 1600kms away and there being no superchargers around. Even a 12V battery replacement is a pain. Despite this, thanks to EVs making so much sense in our country Tesla is growing.

Funny enough, Tesla is the best selling EV in Turkey whilst BMW and Renault are offering their electric cars officially with all the support. I guess they just don't try hard enough.

Why EVs makes sense here;

*Disclaimer; To compare things relative to purchasing power, minimum wage after taxes is 350€

- A kWh on average costs 0,01€ incl. tax compared to 1,2€ per liter of 95 octane gasoline
- ICE with <2.0 liter engine are taxed 60%, 2.0 liter and above goes all the way to 160%. Whereas EVs are taxed between 3%-15%.
- ICE has bi annual tax ranging from 350€ all the way up to 7600€ depeding on engine size and age. EVs are exempt since they have no engine.

Lack of nice DC charging coverage is a huge setback but exciting stuff is happening in Turkey regarding charging operators these days. Also Jaguar iPace will start sales here as soon as July. Jaguar of Turkey is excited about it and people are too since unlike Tesla they'll get service.

I can't even begin how Tesla actively discourages use of their cars in Turkey. If you weren't a true devotee you'd get sick of it. I always figured they'd set up shop here already with all this demand and advantages, especially when they need to sell Model S / X somewhere new while Model 3 ramps up. They just aren't, I guess it is due to politics.

Anyways, here's our deal. check out my youtube channel at www.youtube.com/c/teslaturkvlog (there are a few meetup vids) or the website at www.teslaturk.com

Great meeting you all. I hope to get my AWD 1st day reserved Model 3 within 15 months. Cheers.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi Emir and warm welcome to M3OC.. Happy to see you join, giving us yet another intriguing dimension in diversity! :)
Interesting description of the Turkish EV market and kudos to you for your efforts there! While Italian by birth, I was born in Izmir and still have cousins in your country, where my father lived the first 37 years of his life so it remains in a special place in my heart...

I would not necessarily attribute T≡SLA's lack of attention to TK up to now to politics, which, to be clear, we deliberately & resolutely stay out of on this forum. Better to keep us united by our interest and enthusiasm for >EVs and the spearheading role by Elon and team on the road to rEVolution. We do know they have a lot on their plate, therefore I think it may just be unfortunately a question of priorities; I have little doubt they'll turn to you all at some point in the future; Turkey is a large market which is bound to get on their radar screen. :rainbow:

Keep up the good work. I'll be checking your videos out!
And joining you in your patience for your Model 3! :cool: Having stupidly reserved late (Oct. 16), I'm now just hoping I don't have to wait much longer than my 62nd b-day on Oct. 19... ;)

emir

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi Emir and warm welcome to M3OC.. Happy to see you join, giving us yet another intriguing dimension in diversity! :)
Interesting description of the Turkish EV market and kudos to you for your efforts there! While Italian by birth, I was born in Izmir and still have cousins in your country, where my father lived the first 37 years of his life so it remains in a special place in my heart...

I would not necessarily attribute T≡SLA's lack of attention to TK up to now to politics, which, to be clear, we deliberately & resolutely stay out of on this forum. Better to keep us united by our interest and enthusiasm for >EVs and the spearheading role by Elon and team on the road to rEVolution. We do know they have a lot on their plate, therefore I think it may just be unfortunately a question of priorities; I have little doubt they'll turn to you all at some point in the future; Turkey is a large market which is bound to get on their radar screen. :rainbow:

Keep up the good work. I'll be checking your videos out!
And joining you in your patience for your Model 3! :cool: Having stupidly reserved late (Oct. 16), I'm now just hoping I don't have to wait much longer than my 62nd b-day on Oct. 19... ;)
Thank you for the warm welcome! Izmir is a great city and most secular one of them all. Sadly it is the city with the least amount of Teslas. Only a Model S and a Model X there.

As for Model 3 unfortunately I don't have high hopes until March '19 for mine. Even that might start looking optimistic the way this prouction hell has been moving. We're all hanging in here together, it's been almost 22 months since I paid my deposit so time is moving fast. It's gonna happen.