Greetings from CA

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone, my name is Rob, and I'm a new Model 3 owner as of yesterday! Been working for Tesla about 4.5 years now, and really love my job. I'd been looking at possibly purchasing a Model S for some time, but decided that the 3 was a better size for me, and wanted to support the company with our new product. The fact that I'd get one of the first Model 3s was also a consideration...and I'm so glad that I waited! Yes, a P100D Model S will knock your socks off, but in the 100 or so miles I've put on my 3 already, I've come to love this car and know it's perfect for me!

Took it out on some windy roads this morning, and man is it fun to drive. I've owned a 2002 BMW 325i wagon for the past few years, with upgraded wheels, tires, and suspension, and although it handles great and is a solid driver, the 3 just blows it away. The complete lack of body roll is really confidence inspiring and makes the corners fun! The ride is a little stiffer than I'd like for just cruising around, but it definitely makes up for it when you start tossing it through the turns. I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on my new baby, and looking forward to being able to use Autopilot during my commute on Monday. There's lots of good info on this site already, and I hope I can add some more (although not too much ;)).

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone, my name is Rob, and I'm a new Model 3 owner as of yesterday! Been working for Tesla about 4.5 years now, and really love my job. I'd been looking at possibly purchasing a Model S for some time, but decided that the 3 was a better size for me, and wanted to support the company with our new product. The fact that I'd get one of the first Model 3s was also a consideration...and I'm so glad that I waited! Yes, a P100D Model S will knock your socks off, but in the 100 or so miles I've put on my 3 already, I've come to love this car and know it's perfect for me!

Took it out on some windy roads this morning, and man is it fun to drive. I've owned a 2002 BMW 325i wagon for the past few years, with upgraded wheels, tires, and suspension, and although it handles great and is a solid driver, the 3 just blows it away. The complete lack of body roll is really confidence inspiring and makes the corners fun! The ride is a little stiffer than I'd like for just cruising around, but it definitely makes up for it when you start tossing it through the turns. I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on my new baby, and looking forward to being able to use Autopilot during my commute on Monday. There's lots of good info on this site already, and I hope I can add some more (although not too much ;)).
View attachment 4326 View attachment 4323 View attachment 4324 View attachment 4325
Congrats!!! That is one beautiful blue! :D

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Not only are you most welcome on this friendly forum, I think I can speak for most if not all here if I express our deepest appreciation for all you and your T≡SLA buddies do every day to get this wonderful, rEVolutionary vehicle out on the streets and onto our driveways!! Kudo to y’all!! :cool::cool::cool:

Vistan

Country
Country
@tesla rob:

What exact paint (brand and color) did you use on your hubcaps? How did you mask the black, shiny parts? I am planning to Plasti Dip my caps with their bright aluminum wheel spray kit.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@tesla rob:

What exact paint (brand and color) did you use on your hubcaps? How did you mask the black, shiny parts? I am planning to Plasti Dip my caps with their bright aluminum wheel spray kit.
I used Dupil-color High Performance Wheel Coating in HWP101 Silver. I used the thin (1") painters tape to mask the shiny sections. It took a lot of small pieces (as well as patience), but was worth it. I sanded the large matte areas with some Scotch Brite pads first, then wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. After that, put a bunch of coats on them. I actually painted about 4-5 coats on one weekend, then wet sanded them down with 1500 as I got some debris in while painting, then added 4-5 more light coats. We'll see how it holds up in the long term, but for now I think they look great! The attached pics show a few stages with the test paint I used, which was Rustoleum.

Vistan

Country
Country
@teslarob:

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. Since you can experiment a little with Plasti Dip, I thought I'd do the entire hubcap in bright aluminum, rather than masking the "spokes". Maybe I'll mask the center Tesla cap. First, I need the car! I've got the email and the 725 call...

Vistan

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@teslarob:

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. Since you can experiment a little with Plasti Dip, I thought I'd do the entire hubcap in bright aluminum, rather than masking the "spokes". Maybe I'll mask the center Tesla cap. First, I need the car! I've got the email and the 725 call...

Vistan
Can anyone paint them so they look like the Sports Wheels??

Sorry... could not resist... :D

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Vistan, you're welcome. They might look good all silver! I look forward to seeing them. Hope you don't have to wait too much longer!

Can anyone paint them so they look like the Sports Wheels??

Sorry... could not resist... :D
Haha, that would take some talent. I thought about doing them the opposite way, where I left the matte section and painted the thin shiny section silver. That would make them look like thin 5 spoke wheels...maybe next time!

Vistan

Country
Country
@teslarob, one more question. It appears that you also painted the outer flange of the alloy wheel that the Aero cover seats against. Is this true? Did you remove the wheel to do this? How did you mask this flange?

Apparently, the new version of the Model 3 manual refers to the former "hubcaps" as "Aero covers"...

Vistan

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@teslarob, one more question. It appears that you also painted the outer flange of the alloy wheel that the Aero cover seats against. Is this true? Did you remove the wheel to do this? How did you mask this flange?

Apparently, the new version of the Model 3 manual refers to the former "hubcaps" as "Aero covers"...

Vistan
I actually swapped the wheels with silver ones from an RC vehicle. Perks of the job ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@teslarob - I think you hinted in an earlier post at having driven the RC cars...
is there anything from that experience you could share?
was there specific items/systems you were testing?
did you take the same car out daily or various cars?
how often were changes made (physically or software) to a car?
any interesting stories of people's reactions to seeing the car?

understand if there are multiple 'no comment' answers, but would be interesting to hear about the process from your perspective.