Question Got PPF/Ceramic done - is this normal?

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picked up my Model 3 today after having XPEL PPF put on the front bumper, 4 layers of Ceramic Coating over the whole car and wheels, Glassparency put on the glass, and 3 wheels having curb rash fixed over the past week. It looked msotly amazing at pickup - minus some slightly streaks inside of some of the glass. I wasn't too worried about that since I'm having all the glass tinted tomorrow. After taking a light to the bumper though, I found what I think are some issues. Here are the questions I have....
  1. The installers notified me of a handful of small bubbles in the XPEL PPF that I was told will work themselves out as the car spends some time in the sun over the next 7-10 days. I'd say there are around 10 small bubbles at various places on the front bumper. Is this normal? Also looks like they tried to cut some slits in some bubbled to let it out - is this normal?

2. While the car looked amazing (minus the handful of small bubbles in the PPF) during pickup, after arriving home from the 45 minute drive, partially on highway, I notice there were dirt, bugs, and other crusty stuff stuck to the front bumper. It came off with some water in a microfiber towel, but not easily. Normally I would expect this and I'm aware that PPF and Ceramic are not 100% resistors to these things, but it looked, dare I say, DIRTIER than it used to after a drive of that length. It was also caked on there to a point where i had to scrub pretty hard with a microfiber cloth and some water to get it all off. Sure it's possible i went through some particularly rough dirty spots, but shouldn't the Ceramic coating of stopped SOME of the road dirt/bugs/etc from sticking?

Some photos I took. The ones with flash highlight things that aren't really visible to the naked eye, so maybe I shouldn't care - but for the price I paid for this work - I do!

tesla m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You shouldn't have any bubbles, they did a **** job. But some of the bubbles can work their way out over time.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You shouldn't have any bubbles, they did a **** job. But some of the bubbles can work their way out over time.
Ugh I was afraid someone might say that. Well, I was told to wait 7-10 days and according to them, the imperfections should work themselves out. So, 10 days from now, if it is not fixed, I will let them know. They told me it has a lifetime warranty so I assume i could involve XPEL if it comes to it.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I literally couldn't tell I had any ppf on my car unless I get a foot or so from the vehicle and look at the edges.
That is true of mine as well. Can’t notice anything without getting right up to it.

Today I found however that while the detail shop listed XPEL as their PPF brand, it was in fact not XPEL.

I have it at another shop today getting tint done and they told me they’re the only XPEL authorized dealer in South Jersey so the other shop couldn’t have possibly used XPEL . I also found the detail shops website where I had the PPF and Ceramic done lists XPEL on their Diamond package page (this is what i got done + all window Glassparency) but it lists 3M STEK on their PPF page. I might wind up having an issue with that. Ugh.

Last edited:

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good news. Though the film isn’t XPEL, the shop that is XPEL certified who does the tint took a look and told me that they think the other shop did a good job. So i definitely jumped the gun and got a little nervous for no reason. The shop who did the PPF and Ceramic stands behind their work with a lifetime guarantee (as long as they service yearly) so I have nothing to worry about. The tint shop is pulling my car around in minutes. Photos to come!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had Suntek PPF installed on nose areas. Initially there were some bubbles, but they’ve all gone away after a few weeks. Sun dries them up and they go away apparently. I am somewhat worried about the PPF as it was the precut, and does not wrap around the edges anywhere. Over time, dirt will build up on the edges of the PPF and cause it to look bad, but that’s what the 10 year warranty is for I suppose. Other cars that the shop was doing had the edges entirely wrapped. Seems like some cars have templates, but that doesn’t cover edges.