Goofy Tesla Newbie Test Drive Question

FredMertz

I have a Day 1, pre-unveil non-owner reservation with an expected delivery of Jan-Mar on the website with a potentially silly question.

Am I going to be able to test drive a model 3 before I have to commit to it?

I haven't regularly driven a non-SUV in over 12 years and I am slightly anxious that the combination of a small car + the center console may be an issue for me.

I know a test drive won't solve that completely, but it would make me feel much, much better about committing to the car.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Day 1, pre-unveil non-owner reservation with an expected delivery of Jan-Mar on the website with a potentially silly question.

I haven't regularly driven a non-SUV in over 12 years and I am slightly anxious that the combination of a small car + the center console may be an issue for me.

I know a test drive won't solve that completely, but it would make me feel much, much better about committing to the car.
My best guess (and that’s all anyone can given right now) is that you won’t have a chance to test drive before you are eligible to configure.

If that’s a show stopper for you, there are 2 real options for you:

1) Find a local Model 3 owner willing to let you test drive their car (there should be a fair amount floating around before you order)

2) Defer and wait to configure until a Tesla sponsored test drive is possible. When you defer you do not lose your place in line, so as soon as you come back and configure your car is ~4 weeks away!

PS - welcome to Model 3 Owners Club!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Probably not. There are rumors test drive cars will be available in January or February, but last spring there were also rumors they would be making an appearance in October, so.....
best bet would be to test drive a Model S. Interior passenger space and ride height will be fairly comparable (many have said the headroom and A pillar angle is better on the 3 even) . So if the S fits, the 3 should as well

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably not. There are rumors test drive cars will be available in January or February, but last spring there were also rumors they would be making an appearance in October, so.....
best bet would be to test drive a Model S. Interior passenger space and ride height will be fairly comparable (many have said the headroom and A pillar angle is better on the 3 even) . So if the S fits, the 3 should as well
I will say after driving both — the S feels like a boat and the 3 feels like a go kart by comparison. I would only say test drive an S for the dynamic of an EV and namely a Tesla EV but the actual driver feel is vastly different due to the size difference in the cars.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will say after driving both — the S feels like a boat and the 3 feels like a go kart by comparison. I would only say test drive an S for the dynamic of an EV and namely a Tesla EV but the actual driver feel is vastly different due to the size difference in the cars.
I was thinking specifically of the interior cabin space/feel. not driving differences between the two car sizes.

Country
Country
Is there any EV discovery centre in your area? There is one here in Toronto, Canada and I was able to test drive the i3 and Bolt and they now have added an e-Golf + BEV Smart to their fleet since my last visit.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If size and a center console is truly the issue I’d suggest doing a test drive in a 3 series BMW or another similar sized car. It will not give you the feeling of an electric car but you can go drive a leaf, I3, or Bolt for that. For the size, drive something of similar size and see how you feel. Just keep in mind that the Model 3 will drive and feel better than all of the above, well, at least as far as I’m concerned. I did get a chance to get behind the wheel of one for a few minutes and once you do, it will ruin you for every other car on the planet!

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was thinking specifically of the interior cabin space/feel. not driving differences between the two car sizes.
The S interior feels small to me, cramped even (contrary to the outside, which feels huge). Based on what others have written, the 3 feels much roomier and open (and outside lighter).
Also the screen is a real logical and easy setup, you get used to it very soon.

I've driven the S a few times, it's phenomenal, but I expect the 3 to be better. I hope to test drive, but won't hesitate to order without one.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless you can find an owner to let you test drive it you’re going to be buying on faith.

I will say this: if you’ve ever driven a Tesla before you’ll be very happy with the 3. The DNA is there. Drivers view I’d say is about half way between the S and X on account of the lower dash and windshield.

Bottom line : if you’d be happy with a BMW 3 series in terms of size and cargo you’ll love the Model 3.

Buy it. If you change your mind someone else will buy it off of you.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you want the car ASAP, then no.

Otherwise, you can delay configuring the car for pretty much as long as you like. In which case, you will probably be able to test drive one before committing.