Official Goodbye free premium connectivity

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@FRC I think it's like the model s/x supercharging for a lifetime where its non-transferable to me this is more valuable then the price I pay at superchargers yearly. So I wouldn't be surprised if tesla figured out people trade-in every 8 years or less so its worth it.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you know ,,, Tesla is the expert in showing pricing that are based on "saving". I was never a good candidate for that pricing model as I drive my car only 10miles a day... my gas bill was roughtly $30 a month.
So if I was to go by this saving model … I would say it was just cut by a 3rd in order to get the AM radio that I am listening to …

It also means my data consumption is very little …

the fair thing (from my perspective) would have been some data tiers. Give X amount maybe free, X+Y for another fee and Unlimited for another … if you are becoming a cell provider, be one :)
(or just let me place my own sim)

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a 30 day trial but didn't really explore it as much as I should have. Everything I have is Google I don't really need another monthly subscription to pay for
I felt Spotify is too playlist based when I prefer radio based (like Pandora). I'm also not a fan of their interface and Tesla's is a notch below that, missing quite a few features. Really didn't feel like Spotify was worth $10/m, maybe $5.99 or so. Definitely not the $10/m for Spotify and another $10/m to use it in the car w/o phone.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a 30 day trial but didn't really explore it as much as I should have. Everything I have is Google I don't really need another monthly subscription to pay for
ahh im still on the 3-month trial I am going to convert tbh the recommendation system is better and I'm keeping both my google music plan has youtube red and its the original launch price I can't beat it. Spotify has a little bigger selection too and better bit rate I'm sure it hurts the artist though. But yeah if you can do it on your phone that's what I used to do go for it I prefer the interface in the car tbh.

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
But yeah if you can do it on your phone that's what I used to do go for it I prefer the interface in the car tbh.
I'm always playing music from my phone to headphones or whatever else so it just automatically connects when I get into the car. I'm always already on a station or playlist recently listened to so next next next track from the steering wheel fits my needs. I hardly ever interact with the screen if at all

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
saw this video on youtube tesla seems like a steal in comparison
the only thing that I have not seen is the accident assistance but all the accident stories i hear of them calling I wonder if this will be included officially at some point.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
saw this video on youtube tesla seems like a steal in comparison
the only thing that I have not seen is the accident assistance but all the accident stories i hear of them calling I wonder if this will be included officially at some point.
Revenue has nothing to do with profit, which is all that matters, so revenue is a useless number for the most part. I didn't watch the video, I'm sure it's irrelevant because to make sense someone would need to know true numbers from Tesla and their cell providers and I'm quite certain that the you tubers don't have access to that.

The key here is that at least Tesla is recouping some of their connectivity costs, but any profit they might be making at $10/month from those they are charging is still likely not enough to cover the connectivity that all the cars getting it free are utilizing.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Folks, it is 10 bucks a month (maybe even less if they come up with a yearly plan)... You bought an expensive car; don't be so cheap!
I didn't get wealthy enough to buy a Tesla by throwing away money because it's only $10 a month. That how you end up spending tens of thousands of dollars a year on magazines you don't read, TV channels you don't watch, and club memberships you don't use. And how you get into debt, if you didn't start out life in the 1%.

I'm not going to subscribe. I'm one of those strange people who mostly just listens to the radio while in the car. Once Tesla fixes my FM radio, I'll stop using streaming entirely. The other Premium features also don't appeal to me. Why would I pay $10 a month to keep things I only use when showing off the car to others?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't get wealthy enough to buy a Tesla by throwing away money because it's only $10 a month. That how you end up spending tens of thousands of dollars a year on magazines you don't read, TV channels you don't watch, and club memberships you don't use. And how you get into debt, if you didn't start out life in the 1%.

I'm not going to subscribe. I'm one of those strange people who mostly just listens to the radio while in the car. Once Tesla fixes my FM radio, I'll stop using streaming entirely. The other Premium features also don't appeal to me. Why would I pay $10 a month to keep things I only use when showing off the car to others?
I'm of the same opinion. It is delightful to show people what a connected Model 3 can do, but of limited future use (to me). More relevant is the scale of the cost. My home broadband, for several computers (and wifi for the Tesla) is not much more than this, and I can't help feeling that the value to me of the Tesla connection is only a portion of that. If the cost was nearer £3 to £4 a month, it would seem appropriate to the value to me.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Revenue has nothing to do with profit, which is all that matters, so revenue is a useless number for the most part. I didn't watch the video, I'm sure it's irrelevant because to make sense someone would need to know true numbers from Tesla and their cell providers and I'm quite certain that the you tubers don't have access to that.

The key here is that at least Tesla is recouping some of their connectivity costs, but any profit they might be making at $10/month from those they are charging is still likely not enough to cover the connectivity that all the cars getting it free are utilizing.
Additional revenue with no extra costs improves profit directly. Tesla is already incurring those $10/month costs, so adding $100M of revenue improves profit by the same amount.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Additional revenue with no extra costs improves profit directly. Tesla is already incurring those $10/month costs, so adding $100M of revenue improves profit by the same amount.
Only if Tesla is profitable. 😉

I'm of the same opinion. It is delightful to show people what a connected Model 3 can do, but of limited future use (to me). More relevant is the scale of the cost. My home broadband, for several computers (and wifi for the Tesla) is not much more than this, and I can't help feeling that the value to me of the Tesla connection is only a portion of that. If the cost was nearer £3 to £4 a month, it would seem appropriate to the value to me.
When I hear this angle of talk, I worry that people (not necessarily this poster) are forgetting about the basic level of connectivity that Tesla will continue to provide (the app, maps and navigation). Right now I pay more for my cell phone than I do for home Internet and I’m hardly able to use my cell phone outside my house.

CW: The following may be slightly political

I’m thinking about this payment plan in another way (and it’s already been mentioned before). I see it as those who are able to afford the premium plan are helping folks with smaller budgets (who’ve really had to stretch to get their Tesla) continue to have access to the free standard plan. And I recognize that just as those of us who pay for our Supercharging are helping to subsidize perhaps wealthier folks access to free Supercharging, so too are these paid Premium Connectivity subscribers subsidizing folks who bought in earlier and/or at higher cost.

I don’t mean to diminish anyone's value placement on this service but just want to share my thoughts to put another perspective out there.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just thought I'd share that I'm a really unusual edge case: I own a Model 3, but I don't own a smart phone!

I do own an iPad with a cellular connection, and pay $15 per month for 2 GB of data on it.

Not having to pay for a smartphone plan saves me a lot of money, and helped me to stretch to afford the M3.

I do use my iPad as my key, but I don't stream music from it, because that would eat up my data too fast.

So yes, I sprang for the premium connectivity. I'd guess fewer than one in a thousand Tesla owners don't have a smartphone, though!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But you and the Youtuber don't know what the costs are. Tesla may have had a long term structured contract that is ending. It might have been some really good pricing for x years or to support the first 300,000 cars and then the structure takes a huge jump or goes to a per car pricing. You simply don't know. No one does, so it just simply someone else with a camera and a viewpoint. I'm OK with that, but don't take it for pure truth.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just thought I'd share that I'm a really unusual edge case: I own a Model 3, but I don't own a smart phone!

I do own an iPad with a cellular connection, and pay $15 per month for 2 GB of data on it.

Not having to pay for a smartphone plan saves me a lot of money, and helped me to stretch to afford the M3.

I do use my iPad as my key, but I don't stream music from it, because that would eat up my data too fast.

So yes, I sprang for the premium connectivity. I'd guess fewer than one in a thousand Tesla owners don't have a smartphone, though!
I'm close to your edge case as well.

I have no data plan on any device.

The local church ladies group (I keep their books, among other volunteer duties) gave my a used, cracked glass faced iPhone 6 for use as a key fob for my TM3.

Had my car been ordered after the cutoff date 18 months ago, I would have paid for the premium connectivity as well.

Minimum data plans in Canada are very expensive and the $US 10/month premium connectivity fee is very cheap in comparison.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But you and the Youtuber don't know what the costs are. Tesla may have had a long term structured contract that is ending. It might have been some really good pricing for x years or to support the first 300,000 cars and then the structure takes a huge jump or goes to a per car pricing. You simply don't know. No one does, so it just simply someone else with a camera and a viewpoint. I'm OK with that, but don't take it for pure truth.
You are correct, we don't know the costs. However it's unlikely that the costs per car would increase as more cars are put on the road ..... although, after T-Mobile merges with Sprint, there may be increases coming down the pipe for all of us, including Tesla.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I hear this angle of talk, I worry that people (not necessarily this poster) are forgetting about the basic level of connectivity that Tesla will continue to provide (the app, maps and navigation). Right now I pay more for my cell phone than I do for home Internet and I’m hardly able to use my cell phone outside my house.
I'm not forgetting the base connectivity. The base connectivity contains all the connectivity I need, once my FM radio is working. The only other connectivity I desire is for software updates, and that isn't offered in either package. I'd be pretty darn upset if the base connectivity wasn't offered.

My home Internet costs more than my phone, though I'm able to use my phone nearly everywhere. In fact, I plan to use my phone for those rare occasions when I might want some streaming audio.