Official Goodbye free premium connectivity

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Country
Country
I take it that the current ad-free Slacker and Tune-in access are part of Premium Connectivity? It's not mentioned on the page.

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I take it that the current ad-free Slacker and Tune-in access are part of Premium Connectivity? It's not mentioned on the page.
My understanding is that both slacker and tune-in require you to bring your own add free account. "Premium Connectivity" is only providing connectivity, not content for those services.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My understanding is that both slacker and tune-in require you to bring your own add free account. "Premium Connectivity" is only providing connectivity, not content for those services.
The hasn't been any mention the Tesla provided Slacker has an expiration date though. It seems the $10/m includes the Tesla provided account.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I might have missed it ....

Can I simply change the SIM in the car and use my own provider? god knows T-Mobile and friends sold me endless lines. I can easily take the SIM out of one of my devices and place it in the car - will it work? where is Raj that that will hack it and let us know?

In general, if Tesla just trying to recover cost of LTE, they should allow owners the bring their own data ... no?

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I might have missed it ....

Can I simply change the SIM in the car and use my own provider? god knows T-Mobile and friends sold me endless lines. I can easily take the SIM out of one of my devices and place it in the car - will it work? where is Raj that that will hack it and let us know?

In general, if Tesla just trying to recover cost of LTE, they should allow owners the bring their own data ... no?
Not an option. The issue with letting users bring their own data is that when Tesla wants to download all of their telemetry, you might say no. Maybe you have a crappy data plan and would rack up a huge bill.
Tesla would be opening themselves up to huge issues. And they need all of the data they can get as that is the key to everything that they hope to do.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I simply change the SIM in the car and use my own provider?
Is it possible? Apparently. Some people in Russia figured out how to do it. But it involved de-soldering an e-SIM from the board, and solding in a SIM holder in its place - not something for the technically-challenged (or people still under warranty) to attempt.
I'm sure that's part of it, but if that was the only reason, then they would allow all features (like satellite images and traffic info) to be used when you tether the car to your phone. But they do not allow that. Because of this, I think that even if you were to solder in your own SIM, you still wouldn't have access to those particular premium features without actually paying for the premium connectivity upgrade.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Folks, it is 10 bucks a month (maybe even less if they come up with a yearly plan)... You bought an expensive car; don't be so cheap!
That's just it, we bought an expensive car, therefore I do not want any extra expenses related to the car. The kicker isn't really just the amount of money it costs, but what we're buying. My feeling on this is I already pay for mobile data with my cellular carrier, I don't want to pay more to another that is only used when I'm driving. We should be able to use our cellphone's data to access the features in Premium Connectivity. All we are paying for is data, there is no maintenance that needs to be done on Tesla's side.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's just it, we bought an expensive car, therefore I do not want any extra expenses related to the car. The kicker isn't really just the amount of money it costs, but what we're buying. My feeling on this is I already pay for mobile data with my cellular carrier, I don't want to pay more to another that is only used when I'm driving. We should be able to use our cellphone's data to access the features in Premium Connectivity. All we are paying for is data, there is no maintenance that needs to be done on Tesla's side.
You cannot do that on a BMW or Mercedes either. If you buy a BMW or Mercedes and want similar features that Premium Connectivity (or the app) offers, the monthly price is way over 10 dollars a month. At the end of the day what you want is to skip out on a 10 dollar bill.

No offense but you cannot buy a premium car and complain about having to spend 10 extra dollars a month, regardless if you are spending it on the car, groceries or going out.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in the same boat. For the handful of days per month I drive the car I'm sure I can get by with Bluetooth music and Waze as I do already

Seems nav will consider traffic routing even though it's not displayed on screen to us without prem so that should be good enough for me.

All the streaming music sounds super flat too me anyway. Google music still wins for me
coming from google music have you heard spotify in the car? the bit rate is better (according to my google wifi router) but i agree on most other services.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You cannot do that on a BMW or Mercedes either. If you buy a BMW or Mercedes and want similar features that Premium Connectivity (or the app) offers, the monthly price is way over 10 dollars a month. At the end of the day what you want is to skip out on a 10 dollar bill.

No offense but you cannot buy a premium car and complain about having to spend 10 extra dollars a month, regardless if you are spending it on the car, groceries or going out.
No offense taken, everyone has their opinions on the subject and different ideas on a product's worth. I've never had a Mercedes or BMW so I'm not sure how their infotainment works. One thing I can say is most cars now support CarPlay and/or Android Auto, which lets drivers basically use their phones on the car's screen w/o subscription fees.

There are cars also with specific streaming service support. An example on my wife's Mazda CX-5 with support for Pandora. You choose it as the media player and the system connects with the Pandora app on your phone and uses its data to stream on the car's system. The interface lets you do all the functions like Thumbs Up/Down and choosing stations.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Folks, it is 10 bucks a month (maybe even less if they come up with a yearly plan)... You bought an expensive car; don't be so cheap!
I'm not certain that anyone is arguing about the price. I hear them arguing about the value. Big difference! I, personally, am arguing about nothing until my premium connectivity for life is redefined in some way.