Official Goodbye free premium connectivity

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like January 1, 2020 is finally the day when Tesla kills free premium connectivity for cars that shouldn’t have it.

In our case, my wife’s one year free premium connectivity should have ended on September 28, 2019 so we can’t complain.

Reminder: if your car has free premium for life, you keep it but there is interesting language in the article below that suggests future new functionality may come at a cost...

Official from Tesla: https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought when I bought mine I had it for life. I knew it had gone away when my wife’s 3 she bought this summer. How do you know if your car qualifies for premium for life. My Vin number is around 88,000. My concern is I’ll get the dear John letter on the hardware upgrade also. I fell I already got screwed on the early access program that was promised to people that bought full self driving at the higher price. I am thrilled with my vehicle, but I have trouble believing in the in-contracted promises the Tesla has made and Elon has made via tweets.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How do you know if your car qualifies for premium for life.
Did you purchase your car before July 1 2018?

EDIT:
You can also log into your account, click on the "MANAGE" button for your vehicle, and you will see your supercharging, premium connectivity, and warranty status.

1575721701673-png.31015

Last edited:

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, But my question is was that known last July? I ordered it last July did not take delivery till October. I also got screwed on referrals because they did not have the referral program when I ordered it but the delivery was delayed by Tesla the referral program was back on by October and they would not let me use the referral code because they said it had to be done at the time the order was placed. Does somebody have a document from last year showing this policy? I don’t mind paying the $10 A month for for this service, but if I don’t get the hardware upgrade I feel it will drastically devalue the vehicle I purchased. I also believed the marketing line that if one of my motors failed I could drive on the other motor. They are still promoting this although I’ve yet to find any examples of this actually working by Tesla customers. I did order the cyber truck even though I don’t believe it is bulletproof, scratch and dent proof or the glass won’t shatter. I do believe it will be a great truck but they don’t need to over sell its capabilities

Last edited:

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Reminder: if your car has free premium for life, you keep it but there is interesting language in the article below that suggests future new functionality may come at a cost.
I couldn't identify this "interesting language" in the Tesla account info you referenced, what are you referring to?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, But my question is was that known last July? I ordered it last July did not take delivery till October. I also got screwed on referrals because they did not have the referral program when I ordered it but the delivery was delayed by Tesla the referral program was back on by October and they would not let me use the referral code because they said it had to be done at the time the order was placed. Does somebody have a document from last year showing this policy? I don’t mind paying the $10 A month for for this service, but if I don’t get the hardware upgrade I feel it will drastically devalue the vehicle I purchased. I also believed the marketing line that if one of my motors failed I could drive on the other motor. They are still promoting this although I’ve yet to find any examples of this actually working by Tesla customers. I did order the cyber truck even though I don’t believe it is bulletproof, scratch and dent proof or the glass won’t shatter. I do believe it will be a great truck but they don’t need to over sell its capabilities
I will have to look, but I do remember when we bought my wife’s car (9/28/18 delivery) that it was free premium connectivity for just 1 year.

I couldn't identify this "interesting language" in the Tesla account info you referenced, what are you referring to?
Here is the part I was referring to:
b21c7ec6-7bf5-4c4a-819c-7cfb637bf57c-jpeg.31014

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, I missed that. I'm going to try not to get worried prematurely, but I'm one of the few that turned down the $5,000 refund in order to keep free Supercharging AND premium connectivity. My account shows "Premium Connectivity-Free Unlimited". Sounds like we may eventually have more than 2 levels of connectivity...Standard, Premium, and Super Premium? This smacks of jerking around previous buyers and feels a lot like bait and switch, potentially. What's next...Autopilot, FullSelfDriving, and Really and Truly FSD? Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I will get worried prematurely!

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would not be surprised if you folks with free supercharging will be limited to 100 kW. You probably won’t get the free Super Duper charging at 250 kW.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps in the somewhat near future there will exist a company that sells great electric vehicles AND great customer service!!

What?? I can Hope, can't I?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would have preferred the rumored $100 per year subscription fee, but I can live with $9.99 a month, cancellable at any time. I do not feel like Tesla has broken any promises to me, and in fact gave me three extra months of free premium connectivity. I see only rainbows, unicorns and sprinkles for ice cream and cake. PM me for what I'm on. :)

1575724652327-png.31017

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man I really feel bait and switched on this one. I read everything on my order page pretty carefully as well as my MVPA and do not recall at all seeing that premium connectivity was only for one year. I’m not saying that it wasn’t and I missed it, but that would be unusual for me.

this blows.

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"If you ordered your car on or before June 30, 2018, you will automatically have access to existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car and do not need to subscribe. As additional features and services become available in the future, you will have the option to upgrade connectivity plans from your Tesla Account."

The "As additional features and services become available in the future, you will have the option to upgrade connectivity plans from your Tesla Account." it's the interesting part.

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man I really feel bait and switched on this one. I read everything on my order page pretty carefully as well as my MVPA and do not recall at all seeing that premium connectivity was only for one year. I’m not saying that it wasn’t and I missed it, but that would be unusual for me.

this blows.
I agree. I don’t remember seeing that notification either. In fact I recall the salesman saying I would have lifetime premium connectivity when I took delivery. I’m going to look through my paperwork because I’m pretty sure I ordered it before June 2018, as I took delivery in August. At that time orders were taking some time to fulfill.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you purchase your car before July 1 2018?

EDIT:
You can also log into your account, click on the "MANAGE" button for your vehicle, and you will see your supercharging, premium connectivity, and warranty status.

View attachment 31015
Mine shows similar but (perhaps canada?) doesn't show the premium connectivity category under warranty at all - just a link to remove the car from the account.

HeavyPedal

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The way these things go with Tesla (already the link in my email doesn't work :)), I'm going to wait until the end of the month to subscribe just in case something changes — like having an annual option in place of a monthly subscription.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would not be surprised if you folks with free supercharging will be limited to 100 kW. You probably won’t get the free Super Duper charging at 250 kW.
That would work against Tesla - Congestion is their problem, not consumption. Getting people through faster is better for everyone.
Secondly, once they've run the numbers the 250kw rate will decrease battery lifespan expectations versus warranty numbers, it pays them to wear out batteries a bit sooner to have statistically higher turnover on battery replacements. Higher charge rate is win win.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree. I don’t remember seeing that notification either. In fact I recall the salesman saying I would have lifetime premium connectivity when I took delivery. I’m going to look through my paperwork because I’m pretty sure I ordered it before June 2018, as I took delivery in August. At that time orders were taking some time to fulfill.

It has been stated many times in this forum, even by the moderators, that you can't believe the Tesla employees on the phone or at the Service Centers and that the owners actually have more knowledge than the Tesla employees. Tesla employees are just the Walmart greeters of the automotive industry. They are just there to move you along, make you feel good, but offer nothing of value.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting note in there about cars with Sirius XM capability. To my knowledge, no Tesla’s to date have had native XM capability. Possible they may be adding that? Even if it’s the streaming version?

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That would work against Tesla - Congestion is their problem, not consumption. Getting people through faster is better for everyone.
Secondly, once they've run the numbers the 250kw rate will decrease battery lifespan expectations versus warranty numbers, it pays them to wear out batteries a bit sooner to have statistically higher turnover on battery replacements. Higher charge rate is win win.
The high powered stall would be relegated to premium customers. You could still get your charging at the couple non-premium stalls. This would keep us non-premium customers from clogging up the superchargers. Roadster customers will not want to wait for a short range model 3 customer to charge. Could also be a perk to sell more Model Ys. I hope they don't do it, but Tesla is trying to sell cars. $100 deposits on trucks give the market the appearance of demand