Going on Vacation, should I leave her plugged in?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Im going on summer vacation for a week. My M3 will be parked in my driveway getting lots of sun in the daytime, do I leave it plugged in for the duration of my trip or leave it charged at 60% and hope the vampires don't suck her dry before I return?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Im going on summer vacation for a week. My M3 will be parked in my driveway getting lots of sun in the daytime, do I leave it plugged in for the duration of my trip or leave it charged at 60% and hope the vampires don't suck her dry before I return?
Set the car to charge to 50%.
Leave it plugged in.
Turn on cabin overheat protection with A/C.

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not to hijack your thread OP but if you go on vacation with a car left in the garage would you also recommend the same? Seto to 50% with the cabin overheat out? My garage is not cooled but it does not get to be triple digits. I'd be shocked if it gets over 85.

dannyskim

Not to hijack your thread OP but if you go on vacation with a car left in the garage would you also recommend the same? Seto to 50% with the cabin overheat out? My garage is not cooled but it does not get to be triple digits. I'd be shocked if it gets over 85.
Yes, if it never reaches the 105F temperature, it won't turn on. Either way, there is no downside to leaving it on while you're away. It's not going to run up your electricity bill by a noticeable amount, not in the nearest.

If you're expecting any kind of extended inactivity to the car, it is always recommended to leave it plugged in and charging between 20 - 80%, with 50% being the optimal state of charge (SOC). This practice lengthens the life of the battery in terms of charge it can hold and number of cycles.

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
While plugged in, all of the car’s electrical needs are supplied by shore power, including overheat protection if needed and vampire losses from software cycling through sleep and idle. The charger cycles only to supplement any inherent drop in voltage while you’re away.

RocketRay

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't have overheat protection on when your car is in an enclosed garage. There's nowhere for the heat to escape to so it'll just get hotter and hotter as it keeps the interior relatively cool.

I learned this when I had a Model X loaner while my Model 3 was getting fixed. I somehow accidentally left the A/C on and about an hour later I came downstairs and noticed this loud noise coming from the garage. The interior was a pleasant 72F but the garage was not. Opened the garage door and turned the A/C off.

Reid

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Car will go into low power mode at 5%, but that's too low for my liking as it sounds like it can run down the 12v battery.

Wish I could manually trigger low power mode and just leave the car at 50%, rather than leaving it plugged in and potentially have the car charging cycling on and off for no good reason during peak hours.

Tempting to charge to 80%, unplug, turn off cabin overheat, and just say YOLO. (We'll be on vacation for a month soon).

On the other hand, I guess the house will generate so much electricity from the solar that any charger cycling will barely begin to gnaw at our surplus.

It doesn't really get hot enough to worry about cabin overheat here.

Zedism

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't have overheat protection on when your car is in an enclosed garage. There's nowhere for the heat to escape to so it'll just get hotter and hotter as it keeps the interior relatively cool.

I learned this when I had a Model X loaner while my Model 3 was getting fixed. I somehow accidentally left the A/C on and about an hour later I came downstairs and noticed this loud noise coming from the garage. The interior was a pleasant 72F but the garage was not. Opened the garage door and turned the A/C off.
Overheat protection is not the same as leaving the AC on.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Car will go into low power mode at 5%, but that's too low for my liking as it sounds like it can run down the 12v battery.

Wish I could manually trigger low power mode and just leave the car at 50%, rather than leaving it plugged in and potentially have the car charging cycling on and off for no good reason during peak hours.

Tempting to charge to 80%, unplug, turn off cabin overheat, and just say YOLO. (We'll be on vacation for a month soon).

On the other hand, I guess the house will generate so much electricity from the solar that any charger cycling will barely begin to gnaw at our surplus.

It doesn't really get hot enough to worry about cabin overheat here.
If you have scheduled charging turned on, it should not start a charge cycle 6 hours past your scheduled start time.

Reid

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you have scheduled charging turned on, it should not start a charge cycle 6 hours past your scheduled start time.
Ah!!

This should have been incredibly obvious, but due to a massive blind spot in my thinking, it hadn't occurred to me.

I noticed my car occasionally cycling into a charge mode hours after charging is complete (eg, to top off after a small amount of vampire drain).

I somehow failed to consider the fact that said cycling was only occurring BECAUSE it was in a charging window *and* the charge had dropped below the desired level.

And I also failed to realize energy consumption consequences of the same thing happening due to overheat protection vs vampire drain would also be replenished in a charge window.

I might still turn off overheat protection while I'm away (september, shaded driveway, bay area, etc) but either way, at least power replacement will happen be off-peak. thanks!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ah!!

This should have been incredibly obvious, but due to a massive blind spot in my thinking, it hadn't occurred to me.

I noticed my car occasionally cycling into a charge mode hours after charging is complete (eg, to top off after a small amount of vampire drain).

I somehow failed to consider the fact that said cycling was only occurring BECAUSE it was in a charging window *and* the charge had dropped below the desired level.

And I also failed to realize energy consumption consequences of the same thing happening due to overheat protection vs vampire drain would also be replenished in a charge window.

I might still turn off overheat protection while I'm away (september, shaded driveway, bay area, etc) but either way, at least power replacement will happen be off-peak. thanks!
You’re welcome. One more thing, I think cabin overheat protection only comes on for 12 hours after you get out of the car.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What's the recommendation for owners who do not have charging at home? I'm leaving for a week so I suppose it should be fine but I rather be safe than sorry...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What's the recommendation for owners who do not have charging at home? I'm leaving for a week so I suppose it should be fine but I rather be safe than sorry...
If you're only leaving for a week, it's not a big deal. If you're leaving it at home, I'd charge to 60% and let it sit.

If you're parking it at the airport and need to use it to get back home, I'd charge a lot higher just to make sure I have enough range to get back home even if it decides to run the air conditioner 24/7 while I'm away. ;)