GM fuel cell (and electric) future

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just saw this tweet from one of my local senators. While nice that GC is admitting they need to come up with an emissions free fleet, they are considering fuel cell?! WTH?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Fuel cells are emissions-free at the car, so it does solve the problem of creating smog. I'm fine with that as a solution.

The first problem is that creating the fuel is either energy-intensive, or creates a lot of carbon dioxide that must be dealt with.

The second problem is that it's MUCH harder to contain hydrogen than gasoline. Transportation & storage becomes harder & more expensive.

Fuel cells are going to fail.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
One of the guys I work with (who honestly I think is likely the most intelligent and well informed people I know) stands by hydrogen being the perfect energy (thinking grid, not specifically vehicles). I think it may have been part of his thesis or at least was a significant paper/study he did at university. I constantly am arguing with him that there is no infrastructure for it and there are so many better alternatives. I've yet to sway him in the least.