GM fuel cell (and electric) future

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just saw this tweet from one of my local senators. While nice that GC is admitting they need to come up with an emissions free fleet, they are considering fuel cell?! WTH?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fuel cells are emissions-free at the car, so it does solve the problem of creating smog. I'm fine with that as a solution.

The first problem is that creating the fuel is either energy-intensive, or creates a lot of carbon dioxide that must be dealt with.

The second problem is that it's MUCH harder to contain hydrogen than gasoline. Transportation & storage becomes harder & more expensive.

Fuel cells are going to fail.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the guys I work with (who honestly I think is likely the most intelligent and well informed people I know) stands by hydrogen being the perfect energy (thinking grid, not specifically vehicles). I think it may have been part of his thesis or at least was a significant paper/study he did at university. I constantly am arguing with him that there is no infrastructure for it and there are so many better alternatives. I've yet to sway him in the least.