Glovebox keeps opening

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The glove box worked well for several more months, but about 3 weeks ago we went through a week where it would't stay closed at all. It would pop open several times during a drive. This is the RWD low VIN car. A Ranger came today and replaced it for us. Same as many others reported it was the solenoid and spring assembly. The old one once the solenoid is activated the spring wouldn't push the mechanism back apart so the latches would catch. The new one closes and latches well, but . . . . . . Instead of being a soft dampened open it is now like it is spring loaded. I'm thinking they missed a spring somewhere. Will text the Ranger, but did think I would ask others that had theirs replaced, does it pop open fast or still get a nice controlled dampened open? The AWD car opens nice and slow, nothing like the one that was just replaced.
I have a first-production low VIN (00191xx) LR RWD, had the glovebox replaced after a month, and, yes, it pops open real quick; good thing it's largish and the center console is huge, the little we keep in the glovebox does not jump out -- with what I used to keep in the glovebox in earlier cars, it would be all over the floor and the passenger's lap at each opening ;-)

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this since last summer but would pull on the solenoids to keep it working ish but I found that bumps caused them to retract and eventually it'd rattle a lot. Had my ranger out and he took it apart and cleaned it and relubricated it. I think he might've had new solenoids as they look a lot different to me but he didn't replace the entire glovebox which is good. Don't want to waste something that can just be adjusted.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this since last summer but would pull on the solenoids to keep it working ish but I found that bumps caused them to retract and eventually it'd rattle a lot. Had my ranger out and he took it apart and cleaned it and relubricated it. I think he might've had new solenoids as they look a lot different to me but he didn't replace the entire glovebox which is good. Don't want to waste something that can just be adjusted.
I've often wondered why they didn't just replace the solenoid as well, but I didn't look closely enough to see how it was mounted. We just had this repair about 6 weeks ago, but they replaced the whole glove box - it was all already assembled. I hope and assume they take the glove box back and recycle them, but don't know how they get away with putting them back in to a new part if they aren't new, but no one ever told me I was getting a new one, just a different one, so maybe they are just reconditioned and updated back at the shop to make a field repair easier.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting that this is still an issue. I had this problem in July/Aug of last year and the mobile ranger kept replacing the glove box. Obviously that wasn't the solution and it was expensive, for Tesla. What did they do with the "faulty" glove boxes? On the third attempt I watched the replacement, though the ranger had, what he thought, was solution. Tesla in its infinite wisdom uses foam for the spring. Not good for many reasons. The ranger made a larger foam spring to exert more force on the solenoid. Great idea but was fraught with the same initial problem; stiction of the solenoid armature with the foam spring.

I looked at the issue and knew I had the, not a, but the solution in my spare parts bin. It was the main jet spring for a SU carb. We stuck it in and he was amazed. But it was not quite the correct size. I grabbed my calipers, took some measurements, made some calculations and ordered the correct spring from McMaster-Carr. I had to purchase 12 of those little buggers. He installed the new spring and we have not had the problem since. The solution was reported to Tesla Inc so it could be implemented and he get some hero love from Elon. Evidently that didn't take place on either count.

I've attached a picture of the solenoid with the foam spring and one of the replacement spring. It's any easy fix.

Attachments