Glovebox keeps opening

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those that have had the glovebox issue, how would you recommend someone to check this during delivery with the car parked?

Should they try to pull the box down with their hand pressed flat against the door? Tap the door? Tap the dash next to the door?
In my case, it was obvious. Glovebox opened on its own several times during the delivery process. It became somewhat comical--DS sat calmly in passenger seat while showing me how to navigate through the screen menus on this brand new $50k+ car, while repeatedly closing the clearly nonfunctional glovebox. After delivery, I firmly pushed it shut, but it just popped open whenever I went over a bump or accelerated fast.

Bottom line, it isn't worth refusing delivery over this issue. If it becomes an issue, you'll notice as soon as you drive the car. And Tesla will fix it.

I have now had the car nearly three full weeks. The negative/annoying feelings I had related to this and other minor issues quickly faded after Tesla addressed them. My feelings are now dominated by an overwhelming sense of happiness whenever I drive this car. I hesitate to say this, but I feel like I'm 16 again--I just want to drive the car and go somewhere, anywhere. By contrast, I did not have this same urge to drive the brand new Ford C-max I purchased 5 years ago...

jsmay311

Country
Country

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After nearly 8 weeks and more than 5200 miles, I've just started encountering the issue with the glovebox frequently popping open from acceleration and bumps. Over the past 36 hours it has been getting progressively worse (pops open with milder bump and milder acceleration). I've just called service to get it taken care of. I'm happy to hear they can probably fix it quickly and easily.

VIN: 163xx
Delivery Date: 2018-05-18
Color: Midnight Silver
EAP: Yes
FSD: No
Wheels: 18" Aero
Delivered Firmware: 18.13
Current Firmware: 21.9

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
VIN: 163xx
Delivery Date: 2018-05-18
I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm 16296 with the same delivery date but no issues. Hopefully the guy who assembled your glove box that Friday afternoon in April was still on break when they put my car together ;)

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've just called service to get it taken care of.
They took my phone number along with some other info and said that Mobile Service would be calling me. I received a call from "Matt" around 9am the next day letting me know that he ordered a new glove box assembly and it should arrive in 2 to 3 days. He'll call me back when it arrives to schedule coming out to the vehicle.

I asked Matt if it might just need an adjustment rather than replacement, and he said it was possible but he wants to have the new assembly on hand just in case.

I'll report back here after I hear back from Matt (probably early next week).

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone had the "phantom glove box" issue as well earlier this year.

I believe they had a SC look at it and it was installed incorrectly. It was just a matter of uninstalling it, then reinstalling it correctly.

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oddly, I've found that the problem has gone away on its own today.

Yesterday, I couldn't drive more than 3 miles without the glovebox popping open. It was bad enough that I decided to just leave it open for the rest of the day. I closed it after I got home for the evening and the car was parked in my garage.

Then today, I drove 135 miles and the glovebox never popped open once.

I wonder if the problem is somehow temperature related? Perhaps something is expanding and/or contracting with temperature change and the tolerances on the latch are such that it won't quite hold in warm enough temperatures. It was 100 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday with the car sitting out in the sun all day, and it was only 76 degrees Fahrenheit with my car sitting in a garage overnight when I headed out today. That's the only difference I can think of between the two days.

amoney805

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I currently have my glove box taped shut since it refuses to stay closed. Started a couple of months ago where it would fly open during normal driving. It did this for two days then fixed itself. A month later it started again and now its permanently broken. I submitted a request for ranger service a couple of weeks ago and still have not heard anything.

JeopardE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this issue and discovered that the latches seem to get stuck when it opens. If you tug on them they come out again and the compartment closes OK and stays close. I have a mobile tech coming to look at it in the morning though.

hdgmedic

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bad/Failure of solenoid resulting in latches not returning to full extended position to catch glove compartment door.

G0GR33N

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My glove box was not latching correctly, I didn't even notice. But, while I was at the service station for other work, the thech noticed it and replaced it for a new one.
Love the service

amoney805

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine went away too, then came back with a vengeance. Now I cant even get a call back from Tesla service. Called them on Monday, they said Id get a call back with in 24hrs, still waiting. And that was my third call to them so far.

hdgmedic

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Believe me when I tell you it is the solenoid actuator. There is a piece of foam/spongy material that is supposed to return the latches to the closed position. The material partially comes off and no longer has enough force to close the latches. Door then cannot remain closed. Had mine fixed already.

vinceman

Believe me when I tell you it is the solenoid actuator. There is a piece of foam/spongy material that is supposed to return the latches to the closed position. The material partially comes off and no longer has enough force to close the latches. Door then cannot remain closed. Had mine fixed already.
You seem to be right. I had my daughter in the back take the video and I will be calling Tesla tomorrow for an appointment.

embedded below are videos of the glovebox issue and the solenoid movement. I pulled the latches by hand and it extends around an inch.

Anyone care to make a video on how far the working one is extending?

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone having problems with the glovebox. After opening it once last weekend it would not close squarely. Now when I accelerate, even gently, it pops open. Is getting worse and worse. Have appointment at SC next week but service manager said he had not heard of this issues so I'm guessing it won't get resolved right away. Anyone with similar issues? If so, how did it get resolved.
Just developed this issue two days ago (opened twice unexpectedly on a short 25mi trip) and got much worse today, when any pothole or bump on the right side, or any sharp turn to the left, opened the lid. Just called it in, will see what I hear.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those that have had the glovebox issue, how would you recommend someone to check this during delivery with the car parked?

Should they try to pull the box down with their hand pressed flat against the door? Tap the door? Tap the dash next to the door?
I drove 1500mi over 3mos before it happened the first time -- it had seemed just fine until then, so I am not sure what (in my case) could have been done at delivery.