Glovebox keeps opening

scoe

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Anyone having problems with the glovebox. After opening it once last weekend it would not close squarely. Now when I accelerate, even gently, it pops open. Is getting worse and worse. Have appointment at SC next week but service manager said he had not heard of this issues so I'm guessing it won't get resolved right away. Anyone with similar issues? If so, how did it get resolved.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone having problems with the glovebox. After opening it once last weekend it would not close squarely. Now when I accelerate, even gently, it pops open. Is getting worse and worse. Have appointment at SC next week but service manager said he had not heard of this issues so I'm guessing it won't get resolved right away. Anyone with similar issues? If so, how did it get resolved.
No issues on mine. Have opened it while showing the car multiple times with no issues. However, I have a different issue, neither of my sun visors vanity mirror lights work.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had one instance where I had to accelerate hard to get past someone and it opened. Other than that no issues. I’m guessing it might just be misaligned so it doesn’t lock properly.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No issues on mine. Have opened it while showing the car multiple times with no issues. However, I have a different issue, neither of my sun visors vanity mirror lights work.
I have neither of these issues. I would hope that they’re both very easy fixes though!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup, having same issue. In fact, the glove box refused to stay closed during delivery last week. Had problems with a paint run that took two weeks to resolve prior to delivery, so DS felt bad for me and offered to have someone come to my house once the new glovebox parts arrive.

It's really annoying and dangerous for passenger (user manual says not to leave glovebox open when driving). Pops open each time I accelerate fast or hit a bump. Wound up using masking tape to keep it closed. I am now embarrassed to show off my new car to people.

Not to mention, the car screen also has a nasty case of phantom touch. Volume goes nuts and nav flips out whenever car is sitting in hot sun or cabin gets warm.

The duct taped glove box and virtually useless screen doesn't leave a great impression on people who see the car for the first time. I've been a major fan of Tesla, but the paint issue, crappy glovebox, and phantom touch issues makes me feel rather disappointed by an otherwise fun to drive car.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Yup, having same issue. In fact, the glove box refused to stay closed during delivery last week. Had problems with a paint run that took two weeks to resolve prior to delivery, so DS felt bad for me and offered to have someone come to my house once the new glovebox parts arrive.

It's really annoying and dangerous for passenger (user manual says not to leave glovebox open when driving). Pops open each time I accelerate fast or hit a bump. Wound up using masking tape to keep it closed. I am now embarrassed to show off my new car to people.

Not to mention, the car screen also has a nasty case of phantom touch. Volume goes nuts and nav flips out whenever car is sitting in hot sun or cabin gets warm.

The duct taped glove box and virtually useless screen doesn't leave a great impression on people who see the car for the first time. I've been a major fan of Tesla, but the paint issue, crappy glovebox, and phantom touch issues makes me feel rather disappointed by an otherwise fun to drive car.
I presume you removed the protective plastic from the screen? It may be hard to see the plastic sheet.

I need to add the visor mirror lights and glovebox to my delivery checklist.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I presume you removed the protective plastic from the screen? It may be hard to see the plastic sheet.

I need to add the visor mirror lights and glovebox to my delivery checklist.
Yes, protective plastic was removed by the DS. Watched her do it during delivery.

scoe

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

What is your VIN, mine is 151xx

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Phantom touch is a pretty serious problem. I hope you have an appointment. Edmonds had it happen on their test car, and they excoriated Tesla over it. Doesn't seem to be particularly common, but when it does happen...

I tweeted Musk about the idea of adding a software check for phantom touch, since the data stream almost certainly looks different from a human (aka, unusual precision at repeatedly touching particular places, clicks faster than a human can make, the "touch" teleporting across the screen faster than a human can move, etc). If detected, it should automatically post an alert for you to schedule an appointment, rather than waiting. Even easier would be if it was present from the factory - they just need to store the cars for a week or so, on, and if any touch events are registered, flag that car's screen as defective.

You just can't be having Model 3s ship out with bad touchscreens. And if they ever go bad, you want the software catching it before the user. I hope others push Musk on this as well. Although I'm sure they already know about it and are working on it.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Phantom touch is a pretty serious problem. I hope you have an appointment. Edmonds had it happen on their test car, and they excoriated Tesla over it. Doesn't seem to be particularly common, but when it does happen...

I tweeted Musk about the idea of adding a software check for phantom touch, since the data stream almost certainly looks different from a human (aka, unusual precision at repeatedly touching particular places, clicks faster than a human can make, the "touch" teleporting across the screen faster than a human can move, etc). If detected, it should automatically post an alert for you to schedule an appointment, rather than waiting. Even easier would be if it was present from the factory - they just need to store the cars for a week or so, on, and if any touch events are registered, flag that car's screen as defective.

You just can't be having Model 3s ship out with bad touchscreens. And if they ever go bad, you want the software catching it before the user. I hope others push Musk on this as well. Although I'm sure they already know about it and are working on it.
I bet the Edmunds car probably had the screen protector still on.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is your VIN, mine is 151xx
My VIN is close to yours: 154xx.

As an update: I received a call from Tesla service today. They are looking at event data and plan to send someone in two days to check out the screen. Additionally, they are coming to replace the glovebox.

While I was disappointed by these problems, I have to say, I am very impressed with how quickly they are working to resolve these issues (read: disappointment => renewed happiness). They are clearly committed to fixing problems with the car. I really hope they resolve all these inconsistent build issues soon. These issues aside, the car is extremely fun to drive.

scoe

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My VIN is close to yours: 154xx.

As an update: I received a call from Tesla service today. They are looking at event data and plan to send someone in two days to check out the screen. Additionally, they are coming to replace the glovebox.

While I was disappointed by these problems, I have to say, I am very impressed with how quickly they are working to resolve these issues (read: disappointment => renewed happiness). They are clearly committed to fixing problems with the car. I really hope they resolve all these inconsistent build issues soon. These issues aside, the car is extremely fun to drive.
Agree. Love my model 3. Got it back from SC today after 3 long days gone. Turns out my glovebox was assembled incorrectly. They removed it and reinstalled it without needing to replace, so far working as it should. Good luck

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree. Love my model 3. Got it back from SC today after 3 long days gone. Turns out my glovebox was assembled incorrectly. They removed it and reinstalled it without needing to replace, so far working as it should. Good luck
Tesla mobile service visited me at work today and fixed the glovebox. I am very impressed with how quickly this issue was resolved (even though it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place on a new car).

This did however give me, as a new Tesla owner, an opportunity to experience Tesla mobile service. I have to say, after years of owning cars and taking them to the dealership and/or mechanic to get fixed, this is an incredibly convenient service.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
For those that have had the glovebox issue, how would you recommend someone to check this during delivery with the car parked?

Should they try to pull the box down with their hand pressed flat against the door? Tap the door? Tap the dash next to the door?

scoe

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
For those that have had the glovebox issue, how would you recommend someone to check this during delivery with the car parked?

Should they try to pull the box down with their hand pressed flat against the door? Tap the door? Tap the dash next to the door?
It started after I opened and closed glovebox a couple times. It didn't close squarely and started opening after that. I would say open and close a couple times during delivery.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
It started after I opened and closed glovebox a couple times. It didn't close squarely and started opening after that. I would say open and close a couple times during delivery.
Got it. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like an incorrect assembly or hinge issue where the alignment is close enough that it passes inspection but after the door opens enough times, the hinge separates more and won’t stay closed at all.

Sounds like maybe we can suggest people open the glovebox and push the door gently side to side to make sure the hinges are engaged correctly? Then close the door and check to see that the alignment hasn’t shifted?

scoe

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Got it. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like an incorrect assembly or hinge issue where the alignment is close enough that it passes inspection but after the door opens enough times, the hinge separates more and won’t stay closed at all.

Sounds like maybe we can suggest people open the glovebox and push the door gently side to side to make sure the hinges are engaged correctly? Then close the door and check to see that the alignment hasn’t shifted?
They just said it was installed incorrectly not in what way. I didn't have to push on the door, just open and closed it twice demonstrating to a friend how it opens was enough to make it not line up.