Glass roof ripple

osovega40

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

Just picked up my 3 last night. Amazing car!!!!

On my drive in to work today I noticed that the glass above the drivers seat looked rippled. Is this normal?

Attachments

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not seen that. Vin #177XX. Can you see it all the time? Can you feel it on the inside or outside the car? Maybe it's the angle of the sun and UV protection?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sounds like Tesla needs an optical distortion scan as part of the QA process for the glass. Should be a lot more reliable than a human inspection, and very straightforward to implement - just a fine grid, a high resolution camera, and a fixture to mount the glass on. Subtract a baseline image from the image you take through the glass and sum up the absolute value of the remaining pixels. If it exceeds a given level, the glass is bad and must be rejected.

Algorithmically it's trivial, and if the glass is to be mounted manually, the physical implementation would be trivial as well; it only gets more complex if you want the glass to be positioned automatically for the scan. Hmm, you know what... since they have to have a robot grab and align the glass for installation into the vehicle *regardless*, I almost wonder if it would be best just to have the robot itself hold the glass in front of a grid and camera before installing it. With a bright flash eliminating the need for a longer exposure in the image, the robot shouldn't even need to stop and hold the glass still. The only issue I see is that it wouldn't be able to check the glass where it's holding onto it...

Steam613

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I have SimpliSafe camera in garage. Tonight I see this with the night vision. Nothing is on the car!! Thoughts?
upload_2018-6-9_23-20-51-png.10005

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's a mirror to infrared?
It looks like a reflection of your garage ceiling.

Steam613

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
It's a mirror to infrared?
It looks like a reflection of your garage ceiling.
That makes sense. Surprised just that defined area. Ceiling is spray foam as I’m assuming you could tell. That odd shape at the bow would be the opener. Cool. Thanks

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That makes sense. Surprised just that defined area.
I *think* I might see a little bit of the reflected roof and/or garage door in the upper part of the rear window too. But I think both of those pieces of glass have different treatments from the rest of the windows. This is also why those particular parts of glass look so stunning in the rain.