Glass roof ceiling misaligned

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious if anyone else found misalignment of the front and back glass roof on driver side. Passenger side seems to be aligned fairly good (photo 1), but driver's side seems to be off by about 2.3 mm (photos 2 &3).

How should I go about it? Should I mention this to the service? I got the car beginning of this month of June.

Cheers

img_3306-jpg.10437
img_3307-jpg.10438
img_3310-jpg.10439

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem and what they have done about it. Chances are that I am not the only one who has this issue.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with Karen.

No car is going to be perfect. If you're a perfectionist and did this kind of measurement on your last car, then talk to the service center. Personally, I'm so excited to get into my Model 3 that I don't look for those kinds of details.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Frank99,
I thought it was logical to assume that the only reason why I took the measurement is because the misalignment was so obvious with naked eye. So by measuring it I can quantify it, instead of saying the it is "way off" or "slightly off". Because those are subjective terms. And the reason that never took measurement in other cars is because, logically, I haven't noticed any such misalignments.

It is obvious that Tesla has had such issues with model 3 way out of proportion than other car manufacturers, especially when we are comparing it with other luxury brands (which model 3 falls under - $70k). There is no way in hell you will see these issues in for example, BMW or Mercedes, or even VW.

Is this a make or break problem for me? No way. I have enjoying my model 3 to the fullest. But lets not kid ourselves to think that all other car manufacturers have these issues and the only reason why no one talks about them is because people are more stringent about Tesla than other cars. Who ever thinks that is delusional and highly biased toward Tesla brand.

Are we willing to turn the blind eye to some of these issues in the beginning - sure! But don't tell me it is normal, every car has it and that I am a perfectionist. The first step in solving a problem is to be honest and recognize there is a problem.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
really? a quick google search for ANY car brand comes up with tons of misalignment pix on new cars.
Sure, do your Google search and feed your confirmation bias. Great way to feel good about yourself and boost that self-esteem. Reminds me of when a man cheats on his wife, and she desperately tries not to find out. Its ok, truth will set you free. Tesla has some quality build issues. No big deal. It's just growing pains. I really don't see a need for anyone to feel offended or attacked, which is the sense that I am getting.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sure, do your Google search and feed your confirmation bias. Great way to feel good about yourself and boost that self-esteem. Reminds me of when a man cheats on his wife, and she desperately tries not to find out. Its ok, truth will set you free. Tesla has some quality build issues. No big deal. It's just growing pains. I really don't see a need for anyone to feel offended or attacked, which is the sense that I am getting.
Your analogy equates to exactly the opposite thing you seem to think it does.

Confirmation bias is the act of only "recording" data that supports your hypothesis and ignoring or simply failing to gather data which doesn't. In your case, this would be "I assume that Teslas have an abnormally high number of panel gaps", and then every time you see a panel gap on a Tesla, saying "See, Teslas have an abnormally high number of panel gaps", without ever looking for the comparison data in other vehicles.

Reef Club

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Petar R. sorry you are being attacked over a legitimate post that raises an important issue. Just like today's media, if people disagree they attack you instead of discussing the points.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Petar R. sorry you are being attacked over a legitimate post that raises an important issue. Just like today's media, if people disagree they attack you instead of discussing the points.
For the record, I'm not attacking him. My initial post was:

If it bothers you? Yes.
If it doesn't bother you? No.

Pretty simple :)
However, claiming that there are no panel gaps in other cars is just silly. That's not reality. Go to Google Images and search:

Mercedes panel gaps:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...0...1ac.1.64.img..5.10.1263.0...0.oxtRXXzc8cQ

BMW panel gaps:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....0.1.99...0i7i5i30k1j0i8i7i30k1.0.cLo1ZXX7Ytc

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious if anyone else found misalignment of the front and back glass roof on driver side. Passenger side seems to be aligned fairly good (photo 1), but driver's side seems to be off by about 2.3 mm (photos 2 &3).
I never noticed any misalignment until I read this post. I went and checked the glass on Blanche's roof and found that the curvature of the windshield glass is very slightly different than the curvature of the center roof glass. At the edges, both driver's side and passenger side, I found that the windshield glass is about 1.5 mm lower than the roof glass. This difference tapers to about zero over the 100 - 150 mm from the sides. At the center and for most of the width, there is virtually no difference. That's why I concluded that there is a very slight difference in curvature of the glass.

Question for PeterR: Does the 2.3 mm you measure taper to zero or close to it over some distance? Can you notice any difference in the curvature of the glass panels?

I also checked the joint between the center and the rear glass and found that they are very close over the entire width.

Whether this bothers you or not is, of course, a matter of personal taste. As I said, I never noticed this and even now that I've seen and measured it, it won't bother me.

BTW, I really don't think it's appropriate to criticize a member for reporting something like this, or making judgements about his character because of individual taste and sensitivity.

Of course a statement like: "There is no way in hell you will see these issues in for example, BMW or Mercedes, or even VW." is a just an opinion that can easily be challenged.

Last edited:

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has a difference of a mm or two but it quickly tapers to nothing towards the centre of the car, it's just the edges. I suspect it's to help reduce wind noise as if wind was pulling on that corner it'd probably be loud.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
. I really don't see a need for anyone to feel offended or attacked, which is the sense that I am getting.
I wasn’t offended (except maybe by your analogy) or attracting you, you said “there is no way in hell other cars would do this”, I was pointing out that your statement was not true.
If you feel pointing out an error in what you said is an attack, you are being defensive. I didn’t say anything about if your alignment issue was a valid complaint or not (which personally I would have brought up to tesla at delivery), or any way disagreeing with anything except claiming tesla is the only lux car with misalignments.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I never noticed any misalignment until I read this post. I went and checked the glass on Blanche's roof and found that the curvature of the windshield glass is very slightly different than the curvature of the center roof glass. At the edges, both driver's side and passenger side, I found that the windshield glass is about 1.5 mm lower than the roof glass. This difference tapers to about zero over the 100 - 150 mm from the sides. At the center and for most of the width, there is virtually no difference. That's why I concluded that there is a very slight difference in curvature of the glass.

Question for PeterR: Does the 2.3 mm you measure taper to zero or close to it over some distance? Can you notice any difference in the curvature of the glass panels?
You are right Verygooddog, the issue is in the difference in curvature. Mine has 2.3 mm difference on the driver's side, and it tapers to 0 on the passenger side. I think if they split the difference evenly between the driver's side and passenger's side, I probably wouldn't have noticed (just like it is in your case) because of the symmetry.
So due to 2.3 mm on drivers side, the weather stripping can't reach the grove in the glass on the drivers side (see photo below).

As a side note, the joint width between center glass and rear glass is constant over the entire width.

BTW, thanks for replying normally unlike some other members of this forum :)

img_3343-jpg.10601

compu85

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it doesn't leak, and doesn't whistle, leave it alone. It's not worth the risk / trouble IMO otherwise. I'd be too worried about scratches under the glue allowing rust to form.

Vin

Country
Country
After reading this post I also went out to look closely at the roof. I noticed on the passenger side I do have a slight misalignment. Drive side is fine.I never heard any whistles or noticed any leaking, so all appears fine. You wouldn't really notice it unless looking. My suggestion is leave it alone if it's not causing any real issues. I agree with not opening up a can of worms. Here's a pict...

roof-jpg.15525

And as you can see below you don't notice the misalignment from a distance...

orange-jpg.15527

Last edited: