EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
How many of you have heard of any Tesla vehicle needing brakes X 4 at 35k miles? I can't blame this one on Tesla; rather, I place blame on the previous owner of my Model X. I bought this vehicle in May. Right away, I noticed the brakes make a lot of noise when backing out of the driveway each morning (regardless of weather conditions). Before a long trip in June, I took my car to get the wheels balanced. At the tire shop, my trusted tire guy informed me my front inner pads were at 3mm. I asked, "Are you sure???" He was. I mentioned this to the mobile ranger who came to do unrelated work a week or so later and he said all of my rotors were grooved badly. Long story short, I ended up with a $1400 brake job. All pads and rotors replaced. The SC knocked off $300, or it would've cost me $1700. The advisor said the previous owner (from NY) apparently never had the brakes inspected or cleaned since new. Lesson learned for me. Even though Kentucky doesn't have nearly as bad winters as New York, I'll still get the brakes cleaned in the spring after snow and ice are behind. I feel much better now knowing I've got good brakes all around. With cold weather coming on, I just thought I'd share this as a reminder to save yourself some future headaches and money by getting your brakes inspected if you have a bad winter this year.

Reactions: 2 people

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not so sure I would blame the weather for this on a three year old car. I've lived in upstate NY since 1960 and have never heard of that kind of damage from weather/winter exposure in that short of a time period. On my 13 year old Tacoma though, I could see it happening (and it did - I replaced rotors, pads and calipers just a few months ago). Some people do ride the brake pedal though, and however contrary that may be with an EV, old habits die hard.

I'm also curious as to what you mean by cleaning the brakes. I don't recall doing anything special with any car outside of regular car washing. Maybe I'm missing something?

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Some people do ride the brake pedal though, and however contrary that may be with an EV, old habits die hard.
It’s actually quite difficult in a Tesla as you get a warning and they cut motor power if you press both pedals.
I'm also curious as to what you mean by cleaning the brakes. I don't recall doing anything special with any car outside of regular car washing. Maybe I'm missing something?
You’re supposed to grease them annually if you live anywhere that sees a winter.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Specifically, the owners manual says: “Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter.”

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve owned ICE vehicles for 2 decades and always buy new and trade in before ever hitting 50k mi. 10 cars and I’ve NEVER done a single brake maintenance (avg 10k mi a year all local). On a Tesla that leverages regenerative braking, I find it hard to believe that this is due to lack of maintenance. Best guess is the previous owner disabled regenerative braking and had a lead foot (ie, was a poor driver, braking at the last sec).

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Best guess is the previous owner disabled regenerative braking and had a lead foot (ie, was a poor driver, braking at the last sec).
Agreed. Or they took their X to a racetrack right before trading it in.
For $1700, I'd look into performing that job myself. Pad and rotor replacement usually aren't that difficult.

Brembo Pads and Discs for a Tesla Model X P100D
I'm having trouble tracking down prices for all of those parts. If you're interested in going this route, LMK year and model of your X and I'll try to find out what it needs.

Here's a list of parts w. prices for a 2016 Model S. I would guess that prices will be similar.
Brembo 2016 Tesla Model S pads and discs
Looks like $329 for the rotors and $112 for the pads.

Reactions: 1 person

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s actually quite difficult in a Tesla as you get a warning and they cut motor power if you press both pedals.

You’re supposed to grease them annually if you live anywhere that sees a winter.

As a person who brakes with his left foot, I have triggered the warning message/warning chime "Both pedals pressed" a good number of times. Particularly when regen is low. In this case, I was thinking that they were not using regen (or on its lowest setting) - if that is possible on a MX - and therefore heavy on the brakes. With a car that heavy, you could wear brake pads down much faster.

It'd be interesting to see a poll of how many owners preform this maintenance on their Tesla or any vehicle they have owned (aside from at the time of pad/rotor/caliper replacement).

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
As a person who brakes with his left foot, I have triggered the warning message/warning chime "Both pedals pressed" a good number of times. Particularly when regen is low. In this case, I was thinking that they were not using regen (or on its lowest setting) - if that is possible on a MX - and therefore heavy on the brakes. With a car that heavy, you could wear brake pads down much faster.

It'd be interesting to see a poll of how many owners preform this maintenance on their Tesla or any vehicle they have owned (aside from at the time of pad/rotor/caliper replacement).
I’ve got the previous owner’s name and address from the registration paperwork Tesla sent me. I’m tempted to write to him to see if he can offer any insight on how the car was driven or cared for. The trailer hitch was mounted on it when I got it and from the condition of it (and the difficulty in removing it), it may have been on the entire 27k miles he owned it. What did he use it for? Was that the reason for the extra wear on the pads? These are the nagging questions I‘d like to know the answers to. And again, the owner’s manual says this,
“Winter Care - Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.“

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve got the previous owner’s name and address from the registration paperwork Tesla sent me. I’m tempted to write to him to see if he can offer any insight on how the car was driven or cared for. The trailer hitch was mounted on it when I got it and from the condition of it (and the difficulty in removing it), it may have been on the entire 27k miles he owned it. What did he use it for? Was that the reason for the extra wear on the pads? These are the nagging questions I‘d like to know the answers to. And again, the owner’s manual says this,
“Winter Care - Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.“

When they say "cold weather regions", I'm thinking Alaska or another location where it's cold the entire year. Honestly, I also thought about ICE manufacturers with their "recommended" oil changes every 3mo/3k mi.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A combination of heavy brake use and heavy trailering might explain it.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Worst part of my brakes on my P3D are the unenven scoring on the rotors. I'll have to use a rotor hone to smooth them later this month when I switch to my snow tires.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
During the colder months, I'll get some fine corrosion on the rotors, and the pads will occasionally stick to the rotors (same as my ICE vehicles). I'll get a clunk as they break free when backing out of the garage. But that all wears off the first time I hit the brakes, which, due to the usually low regen when starting off with a cold battery, is right away, I haven't noticed anything else unusual. If I did, be it noise (squeak, grind etc.) or any brake fade, I'd be under there checking. Fortunately for all of us, hydraulic brakes have evolved to near perfection under all conditions over the past hundred years, even without any interim maintenance.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
the owner’s manual says this "Winter Care - Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.“

I know that as responsible owners and humans, we all follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter on these vehicles, and the other items we possess. And we drink the required number of glasses of water per day, eat the required servings of vegetables per day, abstain for alcohol and smoking, exercise 30 minutes three times a week, etc.

Of course we do! :)

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Specifically, the owners manual says: “Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter.”

The maintenance requirements for all cars are a little on the worst case scenario side intentionally. If you wash the car consistently you probably won't get a lot of corrosion on the brake calipers or pads.

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
The maintenance requirements for all cars are a little on the worst case scenario side intentionally. If you wash the car consistently you probably won't get a lot of corrosion on the brake calipers or pads.
There are other indications that this person wasn’t as meticulous at maintaining his vehicle as I am. When I traded my Model 3 in for this car, it had 70,000 miles on it. There was one very small door ding that you could only see if you knew where it was. Some folks maintain their vehicles with pride. Some just couldn’t be bothered, I guess. Sometimes I wish I knew the whole story behind this X but other times I‘m glad I don’t.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There are other indications that this person wasn’t as meticulous at maintaining his vehicle as I am. When I traded my Model 3 in for this car, it had 70,000 miles on it. There was one very small door ding that you could only see if you knew where it was. Some folks maintain their vehicles with pride. Some just couldn’t be bothered, I guess. Sometimes I wish I knew the whole story behind this X but other times I‘m glad I don’t.

The good news is with an EV you don't have to worry about someone causing massive internal engine damage that you won't find until you've had the car for a year. Most of the possible damage is readily apparent and repairable with a little skill.

TesLou

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
The good news is with an EV you don't have to worry about someone causing massive internal engine damage that you won't find until you've had the car for a year. Most of the possible damage is readily apparent and repairable with a little skill.
I agree. I’ve had the shudder issue mitigated, the MCU updated, HW3 loaded and now, with the brakes done, I feel like I’ve got a new car. Sort of.