Getting Tired Waiting in Ontario...Model S Content

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Waiting for AWD in Ontario while rumbles of our 14K rebate being scrapped due to a new PC government has me thinking perhaps I should take my 70+K and put it into a used Model S. I’m new to the game. Any information on what is really valuable in terms of options on a 2015 or 2014 model S would be appreciated and/or if you think this is a bad idea!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
everyone's situation is different, but I would not consider that 'old' (relative of course) of a Model S (without AP2) personally.
Does the ONT incentive work on used cars?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
everyone's situation is different, but I would not consider that 'old' (relative of course) of a Model S (without AP2) personally.
Does the ONT incentive work on used cars?

Sadly no—vehicle must be new to get a rebate in Ontario.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Sure that's possible too--trying to determine what things to look for in a used model S that separates it from the model 3.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Waiting for AWD in Ontario while rumbles of our 14K rebate being scrapped due to a new PC government has me thinking perhaps I should take my 70+K and put it into a used Model S. I’m new to the game. Any information on what is really valuable in terms of options on a 2015 or 2014 model S would be appreciated and/or if you think this is a bad idea!

Maybe it might be time to think about just going with the RWD. A lot of folks think that it works great in the snow. If it doesn't then you could probably sell it for something else. If you sell if for $7k less than you paid for it, then you are still getting $7k from the rebate.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe it might be time to think about just going with the RWD. A lot of folks think that it works great in the snow. If it doesn't then you could probably sell it for something else. If you sell if for $7k less than you paid for it, then you are still getting $7k from the rebate.
You'll be fine in the winter with just RWD. I don't know where this idea that you need AWD alone in the snow came from. 99% of sedans in Canada are either RWD or FWD and people get along just fine. It's SNOW TIRES that make all the difference in the world. The question is do you want to spend $6600 MORE and lose the rebate when a car with RWD and snow tires will suffice? $6600 buys you a lot of tires... Talk to any Model S owner who's had RWD and they will confirm the car handles exceptionally well in the winter and snow due to the near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and low centre of gravity.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Good points. I’ll probably pull the trigger on the rwd— I guess I was wondering if the model S possesses some attributes that the model 3 does not since its price point is much higher and there was so much speculation on whether new buyers are getting the rebate.

He Chen

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Model S has air suspension, power lift gate, bioweapon defense mode, free unlimited Supercharging (with referral), about 2x bigger cargo space and ability to seat 7 people (5 front facing and 2 rear facing). Model S has power lighted door handles whereas Model 3 just has manual lever style handles, no lighting.

Model 3 does not have air suspension. The trunks (front and rear) are both manual. Interior space is not big enough to have the huge air filter for bioweapon defense mode. Supercharging is pay per use. Cargo space is plenty for me, but much smaller than a Model S. 5 adults can comfortably sit inside but it will never have the option for 2 additional rear facing seats in the back due to physical size constraints.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You'll be fine in the winter with just RWD. I don't know where this idea that you need AWD alone in the snow came from. 99% of sedans in Canada are either RWD or FWD and people get along just fine. It's SNOW TIRES that make all the difference in the world. The question is do you want to spend $6600 MORE and lose the rebate when a car with RWD and snow tires will suffice? $6600 buys you a lot of tires... Talk to any Model S owner who's had RWD and they will confirm the car handles exceptionally well in the winter and snow due to the near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and low centre of gravity.
Model S has air suspension, power lift gate, bioweapon defense mode, free unlimited Supercharging (with referral), about 2x bigger cargo space and ability to seat 7 people (5 front facing and 2 rear facing). Model S has power lighted door handles whereas Model 3 just has manual lever style handles, no lighting.

Model 3 does not have air suspension. The trunks (front and rear) are both manual. Interior space is not big enough to have the huge air filter for bioweapon defense mode. Supercharging is pay per use. Cargo space is plenty for me, but much smaller than a Model S. 5 adults can comfortably sit inside but it will never have the option for 2 additional rear facing seats in the back due to physical size constraints.
I actually thought you were joking around about the bio weapon defence mode lol. Thanks for all the information—valuable to understand. There seems to be somewhat of a market of used model S’s as some people are ditching them for the model 3. Also appears that Tesla is not really providing good coin as a trade in for the model 3 so some sellers are motivated. Nonetheless I’m pretty sure I’ll be going for the model 3. Thanks again for the information!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
in a current Model S - the 2014-15 @Crno was asking about would not have some of those, and some would have been options

He Chen

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
in a current Model S - the 2014-15 @Crno was asking about would not have some of those, and some would have been options
You’re right. I’m not sure exactly when each feature was introduced. The only thing that was not even available at that time is bioweapon I think? Tesla keeps adding new things and making existing ones standard that it is hard to keep track. Like AWD used to be an option. Now it is standard for all S and X models.

Akilae

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If you have the Model 3 available and you get 14k rebate please don't even consider a used model s (coming from someone who gets his used model s tomorrow). Get the Model S if you wan't the bigger car (trunkspace wise) or if you like it more because of looks and are willing to pay for that. No AWD in the world is worth 19k$ (you loose the rebate and have to pay at least 5k more). For 19k you can get the best new snow tires basically every year and someone who changes them for you and keeps them stored as well for 19 years.

The myth that you need AWD in snow comes from ICE cars with bad RWD systems using summer (or so called all season) tires.

I'm living in Austria and we also get our fair share of snow each year. I do not consider AWD this important.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In order to qualify for the Ontario EHVIP rebate, the vehicle must be new. It can be used as a demonstrator but must have less than 2000 km on the odometer. It can have more than 2000 km but it must come with logs from the dealer/company laying out its usage. I don’t believe you can apply for a private sale vehicle because that vehicle would probably already have had a rebate applied to it.

Models S and X no longer qualify for the rebate as of March this year because their base model price is over $70,000 (or is it $75,000).

As for the difference between old and new Model S, remember that the 2018 Model S now has lighted vanity mirrors and coat hooks. That, to me, is a game changer.:p