Getting into my model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

So, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get into my car. I thought that I would just walk up with my authenticated phone in my pocket with the blue tooth on, and the car would open on ma approach. It simply doesn't happen consistently.

When parked in my garage and charging, I have about a 75% success rate. Over the past two days the display tells me to use the key card. So here are a bunch of questions:

Does the app need to be open?
Does the app need to be refreshed?
I can't just walk up and disconnect the charger. I end up having to push the handle, then sometimes refresh the app. What am I doing wrong?
When I remotely start the car cooling, it should remain locked right?
If I've got the air cooling the car, it should unlock as I approach right?

I get lots of stares and comments about the car. It's embarassing when I walk up and want to show it off, but then can't even open it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get into my car. I thought that I would just walk up with my authenticated phone in my pocket with the blue tooth on, and the car would open on ma approach. It simply doesn't happen consistently.

When parked in my garage and charging, I have about a 75% success rate. Over the past two days the display tells me to use the key card. So here are a bunch of questions:

Does the app need to be open?
Does the app need to be refreshed?
I can't just walk up and disconnect the charger. I end up having to push the handle, then sometimes refresh the app. What am I doing wrong?
When I remotely start the car cooling, it should remain locked right?
If I've got the air cooling the car, it should unlock as I approach right?

I get lots of stares and comments about the car. It's embarassing when I walk up and want to show it off, but then can't even open it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
the current software requires you press the handle. They removed the walk-up unlock from some distance away to keep the car from unlocking and flapping it's mirrors every time you came near the car.
if that is what you are doing and it's not unlocking, make sure you don't have the battery saver thing (making the battery icon yellow instead of green) running as it will limit Bluetooth.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yea, this is a big problem. It is a lot worse when running to your car in the rain! For now, I've tended to unlock my phone, enter the app, maybe disable / enable Bluetooth, and be ready to hit the unlock button.
I really would love to have a key fob.

Aside from the fact that it ain't working, as it is supposed to, I'm not a huge fan of over-burdened platforms such as phones. There are a lot of time that I'd rather just keep (or need to keep) my phone in the car.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've found if I have the issue, I wake up my phone (by hitting the power switch or touching the home button) and I'm able to open the car. Rarely do I need to open the Tesla app.

I'm using iPhone 7+.

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla had an app issue a couple of days ago (so the tech told me when I called when I couldn’t use my phone-iPhone 6- to open and it wouldn’t pair) My issue mostly resolved by that evening but I do occasionally have to “wake” my phone to get it to work. Usually happens when pouring rain ;)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes I find it wont unlock the car if my phone is in my back pocket. So I’ll pull out my phone and “raise to wake”, open the door, and then get in the car and put my phone on the console.

iPhone X

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Sometimes I find it wont unlock the car if my phone is in my back pocket. So I’ll pull out my phone and “raise to wake”, open the door, and then get in the car and put my phone on the console.

iPhone X
A lot of modern phones go to sleep when in a pocket. You may be able to fix this with a setting. The number of settings that could affect unlocking is truly mindboggling. Mine works every time so far (Samsung S8).

LorieL

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

iPhone X
This happens to me, too. If my phone is in my back pocket, I just turn my backside to the car and it unlocks. Looks pretty strange, but it works!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wish we had a key fob. I'm all for technology and change but this hasn't made things easier. I have a Pixel 2 and I often get stuck with the phone key in a disconnected state. I end of going in and out of airplane mode or restarting the app. I have not messed with the power settings yet, but even having to pull out my phone to open the trunk is silly. I used to be able to reach into my pocket and push the trunk button by feel. Now I stand there like a dolt setting groceries down, opening an app, hitting controls, pushing the trunk button, and then hit "yes." Lots of steps. On that note, is there a way to change the shortcut on the main app page from Frunk to Trunk? I find myself using the Trunk a lot more often

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
None of the power optimization fixes reported with Android have helped. The issue remains. Reliability seems to dependent on the phone being used. Glad it's working great for you

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a new owner and experiencing the same... 70% of the time it unlocks when I walk up. The other times I have to open the app and manually unlock. It's quite frustrating. Has anyone come up with a solution?

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wish we had a key fob. I'm all for technology and change but this hasn't made things easier. I have a Pixel 2 and I often get stuck with the phone key in a disconnected state. I end of going in and out of airplane mode or restarting the app. I have not messed with the power settings yet, but even having to pull out my phone to open the trunk is silly. I used to be able to reach into my pocket and push the trunk button by feel. Now I stand there like a dolt setting groceries down, opening an app, hitting controls, pushing the trunk button, and then hit "yes." Lots of steps. On that note, is there a way to change the shortcut on the main app page from Frunk to Trunk? I find myself using the Trunk a lot more often
I have not had the experience you describe with the trunk. When my car is locked and I walk up to it and the first thing I want to do is put stuff in the trunk before opening the car door, I just press the large button under the ledge and the trunk unlocks with my iPhone X in my pocket. None of the messing around you describe. The rest of the car stays locked as the mirrors stay folded. Once I close the trunk and walk to the driver's door to get in, the car unlocks, the mirrors unfold, and I open the door to get in. The behavior you're describing would indeed be very frustrating to me if I was experiencing it. I hope you find a way to get it resolved.

edj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Background App Refresh (Settings—>General) is disabled by default. Enabling it seems to have done the trick for me. It was bit of a pain cuz I have a lot of other apps that I had disable, but I only had to do it just the once.