Germany configuration invitation

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Konstantinos Kostis

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sober driving habits and German drivers are things which don't equalise in my mind. They love doing 100 mph whenever possible, 'normal/advised speed' in Germany is 80 mph.
Of course there are exceptions...
I used to go much faster before I was thinking this through. I used to travel 250 km to work at the beginning of a week and the same distance back at the end of the week and apart from road constructions sites with speed limits my usual travel speed was 200 km/h (125 mph) where possible. I just wanted to get it over quckly. Mind you even at that speed I was occationally taken over...

For three years I had a Volvo S60 T5 and was going up to 266 km/h (166 mph). In retrospect this was insane. Anyway, that car used 10.5 l/100 km, which was not that much considering how I drove the thing and compared to other cars of the same performance class (Audi, BMW, Mercedes et al).

Now I have a Renault ZOE, top speed of the car is 135 km/h and I usualy go 110 km/h max. - looks like I am capable of learning after all...

Last edited:

Marcumar

Country
Country
With the amount of construction and traffic going on, not to mention cars or trucks blocking the middle/left lanes, anything above 160km/h (99mph) isn't practical nowadays. That accelerating and decelerating combined with strain due to the higher speed is quite stressful. With full autonomy people will be able to spent the time more productively, and won't care about having to drive a few minutes longer. And maybe there'll be an updated version of the motorail concept.

Konstantinos Kostis

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
With the amount of construction and traffic going on, not to mention cars or trucks blocking the middle/left lanes, anything above 160km/h (99mph) isn't practical nowadays. That accelerating and decelerating combined with strain due to the higher speed is quite stressful. With full autonomy people will be able to spent the time more productively, and won't care about having to drive a few minutes longer. And maybe there'll be an updated version of the motorail concept.
It's possible still today (also practically) to go faster but yes, it's stressful. It's also objectively not good for anyone. However, some of my friends still go way above 200 km/h regularly, one used to travel at close to 300 km/h regularly with his Porsche 911. He drives slightly slower now in his 5 m long Audi. Go figure. I'm still wondering if he changes his driving profile first or electric cars will be made to match such crazy speeds/ranges. I bet on his driving profile to change first (as in less driving).

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
(...)
Meanwhile, my account still shows delivery early 2019, driving bans in german cities might happen soon and I own a euro5 diesel :cry:
Correct me if I’m wrong, Marcumar, but aren’t Euro5 & Euro6 in the clear for now? Obviously, the ‘older’ Diesel engines (>7-8 years) are under threat much sooner, no?

Marcumar

Country
Country
Correct me if I’m wrong, Marcumar, but aren’t Euro5 & Euro6 in the clear for now? Obviously, the ‘older’ Diesel engines (>7-8 years) are under threat much sooner, no?
No, they are talking about driving bans for all Diesels except Euro6d.

There're plans to create new emissions stickers to ban most of the diesel and also a lot of petrol cars from the city centres, based on the European emission standards. That is by itself plain stupidity, because there're some Euro4 diesels that are cleaner than Euro6 ones. For that consumers and automotive industry are both to blame. It gets really absurd, when you look at the weight gain and the unnecessary increase of engine power of cars in the recent years, fuelled by this stupid SUV-hype. Smaller cars usually have lower emissions than bigger cars, quite simple. This increase in power/weight was only possible, because the NEDC is so lenient and manufacturers used turbocharging to boost efficiency, thereby also boosting NO-Emissions.

If these driving bans are coming, then there will be a lot of special permits for civil service vehicles, like ambulances, police cars, garbage trucks, buses etc. Nearly all of them are diesel vehicles, so the air quality won't improve that much.

Most experts agree that SCR-retrofits would be the best solution, payed by the manufacturers. Their cheating during the emission tests caused this whole dilemma. Cleaner cars build would have meant cleaner cities now. Or if they couldn't achieve the emission standards, other technologies would have been used and sold.

But the lobby for the automotive industry is still strong. The new minister of transport is, like his incompetent and corrupt predecessor, still preaching that software updates will make the diesels cleaner and prevent driving bans. So I guess in the end that leaves private owners like me to pay the bill. On top of that, the
resell value for diesel cars in Germany is plummeting.

Here is some reading on the topic (in English):
http://www.spiegel.de/international...s-court-rules-against-diesel-a-1196196-2.html

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
@Marcumar , I see. Hopefully final legislation won’t be as restrictive.
First time I hear about Euro6d. I was left at Euro6... o_O
How do you know if you’re 6d or earlier.
Before Red Dragon, we have a mid’16 BMW 425d Cabrion, an 08/17 Peugeot 2008 2.0Hdi, both of them AFAIK Euro6, and a 09/11 Alfa Giuletta 1.6 turbodiesel which is at best Euro5... Keeping the last two for our girls...

Dash

Country
Country
I hope someone in Hamburg does the same thing, don't want to go all the way to Neuss.
That meaning can't convince my wife to spend the time and money to go all the way to Neuss to see and drive a special car.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I hope someone in Hamburg does the same thing, don't want to go all the way to Neuss.
That meaning can't convince my wife to spend the time and money to go all the way to Neuss to see and drive a special car.
Trust you saw this post and the thread, @Dash ? Not sure which of Moers or Berlin would be best for you yet feels like there is unfortunately nothing closer to Hamburg...

Konstantinos Kostis

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anybody called Autovermietung Arndt? The Model 3s are not available on their website, yet. Also I wonder how they are supposed to be charged. Superchargers are very unlikely (see You You's Tesla Model 3 Road Trip) and using an adapter from type 2 to type 1/US Tesla can result in anything between 3.7 and 7.4 kW (depending on your charger) but not more since AC is limited to a single phase for US Teslas. They also have no Internet connection. So no updates, no real navigation. No parts, no service, no support.

Internally there are three chargers at either 115V*48A or 230V*24A and for Europe they will be all connected seperatly to either a type 2 or a CCS type 2 plug, hence 16.5 kW max. in Europe. In a US Tesla it appears those three chargers are all in paralel and go to a single phase input. It would be theoretically 230V*72 A with all three chargers in parallel. I can't remember if that can be achieved in a Model 3.

Frog

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks like France received the long awaited configuration email today morning !
People could access the configuration page without even getting the invitation email, just by entering an URL such as: https://3.tesla.com/fr_FR/model3/design/RN1023*******
Anything on Germany's side ?
For sure, as of "NOW", nothing on Belgium's side :-(