Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
In Georgia, all-electric vehicles are required to pay a $213.69 fee whether you have the Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) plate or not. So, the only added cost to getting the AFV plate is the extra $35 special tag fee. The renewal fees next year would either be $233.69 for a standard tag or $268.69 for the AFV tag.

Details can be found here: https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/mvd-2018-04-alternative-fuel-vehicle-fees-bulletin
I think the $60 I paid was for the
Manufacturing Fee: $25.00* (one time fee)
Annual Special Tag Fee: $35.00

The person at the DMV told be it would be $255 next year. I don't know if I would be charged that with the regular tag. I understand that technically all electric vehicles pay this fee, but the person at DMV led me to believe if I did not have the AV tag I would not have to pay the AV tax next year.

Do you know if you have a regular tag on a tesla can you drive in the HOV lane with one person in the vehicle?
Or can you link a regular tag to the peachpass to get free peachpass. I was under the impression that you had to have a AV Tag linked to you peachpass to get the free pay lanes.

Do you know if you have a regular tag on a tesla can you drive in the HOV lane with one person in the vehicle?
Or can you link a regular tag to the peachpass to get free peachpass. I was under the impression that you had to have a AV Tag linked to you peachpass to get the free pay lanes.
You have to have the AFV tag to drive with one person in the car (source: https://dps.georgia.gov/high-occupancy-vehicle-lanes)

You also have to have the AFV tag to use the I-85 Express lanes in toll-free mode (source: https://www.peachpass.com/what-is-peach-pass/)

I wanted to share my experience in getting a Tag for my 3 in Georgia. I did receive the standard tag about 3 weeks after delivery. I was hoping to get an Alternative fuel Specialty tag, so I could drive in the HOV lanes and have "free" paid lanes with Georgia's Peach Pass. I also wanted a vanity plate. It turns out that you cannot get a combination Vanity/Alternative fuel plate, so you must make a choice.

Option #1: Keep the original tag you received or order a vanity plate. The advantage of this route is you don't have to pay the annual fee, which I was told would be $255 next year. The disadvantage is you can't ride in the HOV lanes and the Peachpass lanes are pay per use if you get a Peachpass. I did not go this route, but TREEHGR, AMPED & BYE ICE were available.

Option #2: Swap out the original plate (and you do have to bring it in), for the Specialty Alternative Fuel plate and pay a $60 fee and $255 per year is what they told me. If you don't live in Metropolitan Atlanta I am not sure if this make sense for you.
I think it's more like $235 but I'll need to look. This is paid when you get your car. It is required even for a regular tag. It is to make up for no tax from gas purchases. It really irked me since I paid about $98 in gas tax last year.

There is no way out of the $235 fee for an electric. The green plate is an additional $60 but it lets you use the carpool lanes. You will also need a Peachpass. You will have to send the Peachpass people a photo of your car tag to prove you have a green car tag. Be careful though because I find it confusing how to use the express lanes. I believe you have to open the Peachpass app and change the selection from green HOV at least 15 minutes prior so it bills properly rather than generating a ticket. I need to call to get that cleared up.

Thinking about this more it does seem high for the tax on EV. Although for me it will be less as I average about 30k miles a year. However to be fair to all the EV tax should be based on the average miles driven in the US and tax it tax way. Not sure what that average is anymore.
In contrast to your road (30K m/yr) mine is only 8K m/yr because 1). I live 12m from work and 2). I work from home a 2x a week. I put much less wear/tear on the roads but we would both pay the same annual fee to the state. I agree that a tax on miles driven is better than a flat rate.

I wanted to share my experience in getting a Tag for my 3 in Georgia. I did receive the standard tag about 3 weeks after delivery. I was hoping to get an Alternative fuel Specialty tag, so I could drive in the HOV lanes and have "free" paid lanes with Georgia's Peach Pass. I also wanted a vanity plate. It turns out that you cannot get a combination Vanity/Alternative fuel plate, so you must make a choice.

Option #1: Keep the original tag you received or order a vanity plate. The advantage of this route is you don't have to pay the annual fee, which I was told would be $255 next year. The disadvantage is you can't ride in the HOV lanes and the Peachpass lanes are pay per use if you get a Peachpass. I did not go this route, but TREEHGR, AMPED & BYE ICE were available.

Option #2: Swap out the original plate (and you do have to bring it in), for the Specialty Alternative Fuel plate and pay a $60 fee and $255 per year is what they told me. If you don't live in Metropolitan Atlanta I am not sure if this make sense for you.

My Model 3
  • Pearl White Paint
  • 19'' Sport Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Premium Interior
$65,000.00 Including Delivery
Government Taxes Not Included in Cash Price: $4,550.00
Government License and/or Registration Fees: $259.69

Specialty Plate
Alternative Fuel
Plate Category Code: AF

Link to Specialty Plate Form for Georgia

Manufacturing Fee: $25.00* (one time fee)
Annual Registration Fee: $20.00*
Annual Special Tag Fee: $35.00

MV-9B Prestige License Plate Application
$35.00 manufacturing fee, $35.00 annual special tag fee, and $20.00 tag fee.

Vanity-Prestige Plate Order Form - Georgia

Link to see if your Prestige Tag is available in Georgia

Link to get you PeachPass
**********************************************************************************************
I guess it depends on how much you need the HOV lane to determine if paying for the AlT Fuel tag is worth the annual cost. I live in Metro ATL and in my commute I never need the HOV lanes to justify the cost. If your a Veteran you can get a VA tag with no annual tag fee. No HOV use with the VA tag but that was fine in my case.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.