Georgia Title Ad valorem taxes on M3?

Enginerd

Country
Country
Bump. The Model 3 did not make it into the 2018 Georgia Motor Vehicle Assessment Manual for Title Ad Valorem Tax. Based on the Model S prices from 2017, the 1600+ page manual seems to list the "value" as the base price (?)... not including upgrades (premium package, AP, FSD, etc.). That pricing assumption would be beneficial for me (LR + PUP + AP), as the upgrades significantly increase the "value" of the car, which I'll be registering in GA.

However, the GA DOR MVD Motor Vehicle Online Manual indicates the intent that the tax assessment value should reflect what you actually paid:

For new motor vehicles, FMV [fair market value] is defined as the greater of the retail selling price (or in the case of a lease, effective January 1, 2018, the total of the base payments pursuant to the lease agreement) or the value listed in the Motor Vehicle Title Ad Valorem Assessment Manual. The higher number that is used is then reduced by any rebate, cash discount, and trade-in when the sale is from a dealer.

Any Georgia Model 3 owners with TAVT experience?

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bump. The Model 3 did not make it into the 2018 Georgia Motor Vehicle Assessment Manual for Title Ad Valorem Tax. Based on the Model S prices from 2017, the 1600+ page manual seems to list the "value" as the base price (?)... not including upgrades (premium package, AP, FSD, etc.). That pricing assumption would be beneficial for me (LR + PUP + AP), as the upgrades significantly increase the "value" of the car, which I'll be registering in GA.

However, the GA DOR MVD Motor Vehicle Online Manual indicates the intent that the tax assessment value should reflect what you actually paid:

For new motor vehicles, FMV [fair market value] is defined as the greater of the retail selling price (or in the case of a lease, effective January 1, 2018, the total of the base payments pursuant to the lease agreement) or the value listed in the Motor Vehicle Title Ad Valorem Assessment Manual. The higher number that is used is then reduced by any rebate, cash discount, and trade-in when the sale is from a dealer.

Any Georgia Model 3 owners with TAVT experience?
Got notified of my M3 delivery set in a couple weeks. I am a resident of Georgia and purchasing in Florida and was looking for the same answer. Then I stumbled upon an interesting fact... Georgia charges an annual $200 + registration fee on alternative fuel vehicles, including electric vehicles!!! Georgia seems to be trying their best to discourage electric vehicles. I was wondering if any other states have extra charges for electric vehicle registrations? One good point is the ad valorem tax is one time, and there is no annual "car tax" in Georgia.

Enginerd

Country
Country
Georgia charges an annual $200 + registration fee on alternative fuel vehicles, including electric vehicles!!!
I believe this is fairly common. It's a way for the state to get the road users who don't pay gas taxes to contribute their share for road maintenance. As long as the system is attempting to be fair, I'll do my part.

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After further review, I also support paying my share of gas taxes via the registration process. After all, I do use Georgia roads! Just a bit of a shock, but than I realized my annual gas bill will be reduced by 50%, far more than $200 a year. Thanks for the insights.

Thunder7ga

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After further review, I also support paying my share of gas taxes via the registration process. After all, I do use Georgia roads! Just a bit of a shock, but than I realized my annual gas bill will be reduced by 50%, far more than $200 a year. Thanks for the insights.
Yeah, I have no real issue with it....we should pay taxes for things we use. I agree we'll have SO much more anyway by not paying for fuel. My monthly fuel bill was about $300, so that annual $200 fee is paid for in less than a month for me. What a deal.

DWhatley

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, the annual fee is more than most people would be paying for gas taxes for multiple years. Members of GA congress have tried to reduce it to something more realistic but the bills never make it to a vote.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Unfortunately, the annual fee is more than most people would be paying for gas taxes for multiple years. Members of GA congress have tried to reduce it to something more realistic but the bills never make it to a vote.
More subsidies to oil. Oil and coal are more subsidized than solar and wind. I pay the road tax on fuel burned in my chainsaws, lawn mower and pressure washer.

DWhatley

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
More subsidies to oil. Oil and coal are more subsidized than solar and wind
Not in the case of the GA gas tax (at least not directly). In 2017 our gas tax (at least in part is used to pay for roads) was $.3102. My car gets 30 miles to the gallon so I would have to drive 19,350 a year to have spent that much in gas tax. Currently, I average about 1/3 of that and the average driver under 14,000. Interestingly, As per our Department of Revenue, if you don't opt for the special tag that allows free use of some of our HOV type toll lanes (Peach Pass), hybrid cars do not have to pay the additional $200+ tag fee where all electric and wholey alternative fuel vehicles have not choice, regardless of tag chosen.

Thunder7ga

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thinking about this more it does seem high for the tax on EV. Although for me it will be less as I average about 30k miles a year. However to be fair to all the EV tax should be based on the average miles driven in the US and tax it tax way. Not sure what that average is anymore.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The state of Georgia site to look up the value and estimate for the title ad valorem tax doesn’t list Tesla as an option. https://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/Tap/Option1.aspx#message. Can any owners that have received their M3 share how the state determined FMV and the tax amount charged?
Doesn’t appear this was actually answered. Picking up vehicle tomorrow and MVPA shows the one time TAVT as exactly 7% of total purchase price. This includes all options, plus the 1k destintion + documentation fee.

Enginerd

Country
Country
I think Tesla actually sends them a copy of the purchase contract? I picked mine up in North Carolina and subsequently paid the TAVT to register in Georgia. Perhaps I showed them the purchase agreement when I went to the GA tag office, I'm not sure. For Georgia pickup though, as you say, I think it's coordinated with the state before delivery, going with the 7% into the MVPA.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I calculated that I paid about $98 in total gas tax last year. The fact that I pay more than twice that now while helping the environment rots. ICE cars already have to do emissions each year. Why not just take odometer readings and charge based on mileage? I'll pay $5 for someone to enter my mileage in a computer so my tax can be calculated. Remove the road tax from gasoline and this becomes closer to fair for everyone. There is no perfect system but this would be better.

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to share my experience in getting a Tag for my 3 in Georgia. I did receive the standard tag about 3 weeks after delivery. I was hoping to get an Alternative fuel Specialty tag, so I could drive in the HOV lanes and have “free” paid lanes with Georgia’s Peach Pass. I also wanted a vanity plate. It turns out that you cannot get a combination Vanity/Alternative fuel plate, so you must make a choice.

Option #1: Keep the original tag you received or order a vanity plate. The advantage of this route is you don’t have to pay the annual fee, which I was told would be $255 next year. The disadvantage is you can’t ride in the HOV lanes and the Peachpass lanes are pay per use if you get a Peachpass. I did not go this route, but TREEHGR, AMPED & BYE ICE were available.

Option #2: Swap out the original plate (and you do have to bring it in), for the Specialty Alternative Fuel plate and pay a $60 fee and $255 per year is what they told me. If you don’t live in Metropolitan Atlanta I am not sure if this make sense for you.

My Model 3
  • Pearl White Paint
  • 19’’ Sport Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Premium Interior
$65,000.00 Including Delivery
Government Taxes Not Included in Cash Price: $4,550.00
Government License and/or Registration Fees: $259.69

Specialty Plate
Alternative Fuel
Plate Category Code: AF

Link to Specialty Plate Form for Georgia

Manufacturing Fee: $25.00* (one time fee)
Annual Registration Fee: $20.00*
Annual Special Tag Fee: $35.00

MV-9B Prestige License Plate Application
$35.00 manufacturing fee, $35.00 annual special tag fee, and $20.00 tag fee.

Vanity-Prestige Plate Order Form - Georgia

Link to see if your Prestige Tag is available in Georgia

Link to get you PeachPass

Country
Country
Option #2: Swap out the original plate (and you do have to bring it in), for the Specialty Alternative Fuel plate and pay a $60 fee and $255 per year is what they told me. If you don’t live in Metropolitan Atlanta I am not sure if this make sense for you.
In Georgia, all-electric vehicles are required to pay a $213.69 fee whether you have the Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) plate or not. So, the only added cost to getting the AFV plate is the extra $35 special tag fee. The renewal fees next year would either be $233.69 for a standard tag or $268.69 for the AFV tag.

Details can be found here: https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/mvd-2018-04-alternative-fuel-vehicle-fees-bulletin