Georgia lawmakers weigh return of EV tax credit

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JATL

Country
Country
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...-lawmakers-weigh-return-of-ev-tax-credit.html

“Peake’s legislation calls for a more modest tax credit on EV sales or leases than the credit abandoned in 2015. The new credit would be reduced to 10 percent and capped at $2,500 and would be limited to one per household in a three-year period. Also, Peake’s proposal would extend the credit only to EVs worth less than $60,000.”

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I would be pleasantly shocked if ANY State credit comes back any time soon. Given the current volatility in the political climate here in Georgia I don't see the legislature, as a body, going out on a limb to support it. It would be politically dangerous at this point to do so...and since the vast majority of politicians seem to be all about what will get them re-elected...well, I don't think this legislation puts anyone in a stronger position politically.

Sorry to come across so cynical. I guess it's the Libertarian in me! LOL!

Dan

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would be pleasantly shocked if ANY State credit comes back any time soon. Given the current volatility in the political climate here in Georgia I don't see the legislature, as a body, going out on a limb to support it. It would be politically dangerous at this point to do so...and since the vast majority of politicians seem to be all about what will get them re-elected...well, I don't think this legislation puts anyone in a stronger position politically.

Sorry to come across so cynical. I guess it's the Libertarian in me! LOL!

Dan
To add insult to injury, Georgia is also charging a $200+ annual registration fee for electric vehicles! How does that promote alternative energy vehicles?

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The higher GA registration fee applies to all alternative fuel, hybrids and electric vehicles. However, in retrospect, since you pay less in gas expenses (and therefore GA gas tax), it stands to reason that the state needs to collect something. After all, we still use the same roads. You have to weigh whether or not you'll save the annual registration fee through gas savings from the vehicle.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The higher GA registration fee applies to all alternative fuel, hybrids and electric vehicles. However, in retrospect, since you pay less in gas expenses (and therefore GA gas tax), it stands to reason that the state needs to collect something. After all, we still use the same roads. You have to weigh whether or not you'll save the annual registration fee through gas savings from the vehicle.
Right. But by the same token, shouldn't those burning gasoline/diesel in our cities and countrysides pay extra for all that public air they are dirtying up? You know, increasing visits to the emergency room for breathing issues, increasing cancer rates, etc. Then there is the storm sewer runoff that is contaminated by ICE vehicles. This is toxic runoff flowing into what should be pristine public waters teeming with healthy, uncontaminated fish you can catch and eat or simply swim in without worry? And who pays for the disposal of all the toxic sludge dredged out of the storm sewer system? Who is paying for the loss of all these public resources and the expense of dealing with toxic road runoff? And what about all the tax breaks Georgia gives to oil producers and refiners? Doesn't that unfairly benefit ICE vehicle drivers at the expense of the general taxpayer?

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
To add insult to injury, Georgia is also charging a $200+ annual registration fee for electric vehicles! How does that promote alternative energy vehicles?
Do you happen to know exactly how this figure is determined? Is it a straight up $200 fee for everyone or does it vary by model?

Dan

Country
Country